3Rivers Archery

The Trad Gang Digital Market

Contribute to Trad Gang and Access the Classifieds!

Become a Trad Gang Sponsor!

Traditional Archery for Bowhunters

LEFT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS TRAD GANG CLASSIFIEDS ACCESS RIGHT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS

Author Topic: D Bow ?  (Read 314 times)

Offline Buckwheaties

• Trad Bowhunter
D Bow ?
« on: November 07, 2010, 12:17:00 PM »
Ok, I need some help deciding?? I am now shooting a 60", mild r/d Tom Parsons Mattawoman II and am having absolutely no bow arm elbow problems. Earlier I bought a HH blank and finished it out, came out nice, but was getting bow arm elbow pain with it. I attributed it to "hand shock", and tried everything I could, different grip, heel down, grap hold of it, heavy arrow, etc and everything I did still gave me elbow pain in the bow arm. Traded it to my brother who says "hand shock?? what handshock??" I realize that different people feel handshock differently.
Ok, now to my question. I have a deposit down with Marty Thompson (Apex Predator bows, I love his work) and am going to buy one of his bows but can't decide which model to get. (have to make my mind up soon as he is going to start on it) I am going down in bow weight from the HH, if that will matter? but I really want a D bow but am afraid that I will end up with the elbow pain problem again.(gun shy) Marty's Cumberland model has some string follow, (a 1/2" or so) which I have heard helps with handshock. Can anyone give me some advice or has experience with the Cumberland vs a HH as far as handshock goes? I'm pretty sure I wouldn't have any problems with one of his r/d bows and may get one, but I really want his D bow.. Cumberland..
"Don't listen to what they say, watch what they do."

Offline bentpole

• Trad Bowhunter
Re: D Bow ?
« Reply #1 on: November 07, 2010, 12:24:00 PM »
Hey Buck, I would think you would be better off with one of Marty's Sapelo's. Mild reflex/deflex IMHO makes for an all around user friendly bow. Don't listen to me, see what Marty recommends.

« Reply #2 on: November 07, 2010, 12:58:00 PM »
My Robertsons have very little handshock. Neither do my Hills that I have finished from blanks.  If a bow kicks a bit and you are clamping down real hard on it, the shock will affect you more.  Some learn to ride with it after a while and don't feel a thing, while others fight it and always get the shock from a shocky bow.

Offline straitera

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #3 on: November 07, 2010, 01:23:00 PM »
First off...you could do a whole lot worse than Marty's bows. From what I;ve seen they are works of art. Look 'em over good. He had one w/yellow wood that was over the top. Heavier Hill style bows are all I;ve shot for 33 straight years. I DO know they'll jolt your teeth loose if you shoot them wrong. Not sure or otherwise of any advantages of recurve grips. I too would suggest the hybrid design. Get it long & heavy enough & I'll buy it from you when you decide to sell. Suggest also that you call & discuss w/Marty. He'll tell you straight.
Buddy Bell

Trad is 60% mental & about 40% mental.

Offline Buckwheaties

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #4 on: November 07, 2010, 01:37:00 PM »
Thank You all for the advice. I'm going with the Sapelo, that's what is on order right now and can change if I want to but from the above input I think I'll go w/ the 66" Sapelo mild r/d. Maybe it's a "getting older thing"? I shot HH's at 70# years ago and handshock wasn't a problem. I am listening to you Bentpole...

Offline Buckwheaties

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #5 on: November 07, 2010, 01:38:00 PM »
You too, straitera..

Users currently browsing this topic:

Contact Us | Trad Gang.com © | User Agreement

Copyright 2003 thru 2024 ~ Trad Gang.com ©