3Rivers Archery

The Trad Gang Digital Market

Contribute to Trad Gang and Access the Classifieds!

Become a Trad Gang Sponsor!

Traditional Archery for Bowhunters

LEFT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS TRAD GANG CLASSIFIEDS ACCESS RIGHT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS

Author Topic: wood or aluminum arrows?  (Read 2400 times)

Offline $bowhunter$

• Trad Bowhunter
wood or aluminum arrows?
« on: November 07, 2010, 02:38:00 PM »
for hunting purposes which would give better performance?
"SHOOT STRAIT" - something im still working twards

Offline stevewills

• Trad Bowhunter
Re: wood or aluminum arrows?
« Reply #1 on: November 07, 2010, 02:50:00 PM »
for consistancy from one dozen to the next alluminum.for tough as nails dont have to worry about a bent arrow carbons...totally up to you i shoot both.early season alluminum,late season carbon..but for weight cant beat a alluminum
i like biscuits

Offline stevewills

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #2 on: November 07, 2010, 02:52:00 PM »
sorry cant give you a anwser for woods...good luck
i like biscuits

Offline Grey Taylor

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #3 on: November 07, 2010, 02:58:00 PM »
Awful lot of animals killed with all the different arrow materials.
If you get the right arrow it will fly well. Get the wrong one and it will fly like crap.
That's a constant for all materials.
Pretty much your pick.

Guy
Tie two birds together; though they have four wings, they can not fly.
The Blind Master

Offline David Mitchell

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #4 on: November 07, 2010, 03:00:00 PM »
Wooden arrows have done the job for centuries--they still do.  For traditional archery nothing beats wood arrows.  They can be made very consistently, matched well, and fly great.  They are quiet coming off the bow and in a back quiver (also another great traditional tool). I also mess with carbon and aluminum--no "soul" to them.  Some of you will understand that and some won't.  I feel sorry for those who don't   :D .  Like anything else in archery, wood will be more than sufficient if you have quality arrows and put them where they need to be and work with them until you are comfortable with them.
The years accumulate on old friendships like tree rings, during which time a kind of unspoken care and loyalty accrue between men.

Offline cbCrow

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #5 on: November 07, 2010, 03:03:00 PM »
I love the look,feel and smell of a good cedar arrow, but for consistency its hard to beat aluminum to me.  :archer:

Online cacciatore

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #6 on: November 07, 2010, 03:10:00 PM »
As Davis has said you need to spend a little of time hand spining and maching wood arrows,but then They can be as accurate as any other shaft material.Wood is more quiet too.Aluminum is very consistent in spine and weight,more noisy in some hunting situations,it doesn't need to many cares.By the way if I have to choose a ALU shaft I want a XX78.
1993 PBS Regular
Compton
CBA
CSTAS

Offline Mr.Magoo

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #7 on: November 07, 2010, 03:25:00 PM »
Alum. is just so easy to cut, glue etc ... (just stay away from the "Fall Stalker" alums).

Wood takes a bit more fiddling with.

Offline Don Stokes

• Tradbowhunter
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #8 on: November 07, 2010, 03:47:00 PM »
Performance just depends on how much effort you are willing to put into your archery. Aluminum arrows will do the job with the least effort. Wood arrows take more dedication to the craft, but but most folks get much more satisfaction from making and using them. Properly made and matched woods will perform equally with aluminum, and you can take pride in what you've done. Learning to make serviceable wood arrows can be a pleasure in itself, and expand your enjoyment of archery.

My favorite use for aluminum is beer cans.
Those who would give up essential liberty to purchase a little temporary safety deserve neither liberty nor safety.- Ben Franklin

Offline Benny Nganabbarru

• TGMM Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #9 on: November 07, 2010, 03:58:00 PM »
I've used them all with excellent success. I now shoot wooden arrows only.
TGMM - Family of the Bow

Offline lpcjon2

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #10 on: November 07, 2010, 04:04:00 PM »
I just like wood anything else doesn't feel right.JMHO
Some people live an entire lifetime and wonder if they have ever made a
difference in the world, but the Marines don’t have that problem.
—President Ronald Reagan

Offline Bjorn

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #11 on: November 07, 2010, 05:02:00 PM »
I only shoot wood so I can't compare to aluminum. I think it is purely personal preference; but if you are analyzing stick with aluminum-those who shoot wood do it out of love. JMHO   :thumbsup:

Offline bentpole

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #12 on: November 07, 2010, 05:03:00 PM »
If you're just starting out I would say Carbons. They're bazooka proof. After you shoot a few seasons with the carbons  I would try woodies. I like  POC or my favorite Tapered Sitka Spruce.

Offline jcar315

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #13 on: November 07, 2010, 05:44:00 PM »
I am wood only too. No soul in any of the man made shafts but that is just one man's opinion.
Proud Dad to two awesome Kids and a very passionate pig hunter.

Right handed but left eye dominant.

Proud to be a Native TEXAN!!!!!

"TGMM  Family of the Bow"

Online swp

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #14 on: November 07, 2010, 05:46:00 PM »
I think wood gives me better penetration but I am more consistent with aluminum.
"People say you can't go back, its like when you get to the edge of a cliff and you take one more step forward or you do a 180 degree turn and take one more step forward. Which way are you going? Which one is progress?" Doug Tompkins

Offline MercilessMing

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #15 on: November 07, 2010, 07:00:00 PM »
I am only target shooting for now.  I shoot mostly bamboo (if you consider them wood although some say bamboo is grass) but sometimes aluminum.  Aluminum flies better and group a bit better when beyond 20 yards.

Online SuperK

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #16 on: November 07, 2010, 07:30:00 PM »
I must confess that I get more consistent arrow flight with my broadheads with aluminum.  I also like the fact that if I mmmmmiss and bury a broadhead in a tree or root, I can unscrew the aluminum arrow and use it again.  Not so with wooden arrows.  I normally have to break it off.  With the price of good wooden shaft now-days about the price of aluminum, I use aluminum for hunting.
They exchanged the truth of GOD for a lie,and worshiped and served created things rather than the Creator-who is forever praised.Amen Romans 1:25 NIV

Offline Doug in MN

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #17 on: November 07, 2010, 07:48:00 PM »
I like making wood arrows and I have some POC stashed away that is very good,very consistent and very old. Good POC is now it seems getting hard to find.  The Sitka Spruce that I have tried has also been excellent.

I have shot a lot of aluminum arrows over the years and still do. I have a great fondness for 1918's out of 50# or so bows. I have what should be a lifetime supply of them.

Carbon is tough, consistent, fly’s well and it is easy to get a high degree of FOC it that is your goal. I have been shooting them more recently and have nothing bad to say about them. They are tough and I like to stump shoot a lot.

Not sure any of that helps or answers your question.

Offline hvyhitter

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #18 on: November 07, 2010, 08:48:00 PM »
For one of my bows I shoot aluminum for 3D all summer but get out the woodies when really in hunting mode......Hill style bow,maple shafts,deadheads equal much bowhunting MOJO!
Bowhunting is "KILL and EAT" not "Catch and Release".....Semper Fi!

Offline NY Yankee

• Trad Bowhunter
  • Wooden Bows, Wooden Arrows and 2-Blade Broadheads
« Reply #19 on: November 07, 2010, 09:02:00 PM »
There are so many people who just don't understand why a person would want to shoot wood arrows when you can just buy carbons and yada yada. Truth is most of them don't have any understanding of wood arrows. All they know is that they have heard that wood arrows warp all the time. The remainder are folks who have used wood arrows and either don't have the time or just plain aren't interested in the building and care of wood arrows and would just rather buy them done or mostly done. since you mentioned wood or aluminum, I'd say start out with aluminum, perfect your form, and then start building wood arrows for your self. Only then will you understand them and can make a clear decision for your self on which is the better product.
"Elk don't know how many feet a horse has!"
Bear Claw Chris Lapp

Users currently browsing this topic:

Contact Us | Trad Gang.com © | User Agreement

Copyright 2003 thru 2024 ~ Trad Gang.com ©