3Rivers Archery

The Trad Gang Digital Market

Contribute to Trad Gang and Access the Classifieds!

Become a Trad Gang Sponsor!

Traditional Archery for Bowhunters

LEFT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS TRAD GANG CLASSIFIEDS ACCESS RIGHT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS

Author Topic: Advice on Sitka gear for the deep south.  (Read 827 times)

Online South MS Bowhunter

• Trad Bowhunter
Advice on Sitka gear for the deep south.
« on: November 07, 2010, 03:32:00 PM »
Question for the Sitka Gear Experts Steve O, others.  I'm looking for something that wil be light weIght and non bulky for the condition I hunt in here in the deep south.  Average temperture in October through most of November is from 80's to mid 30's and will vary from day to day 35 in morning and as high as 70's by evening.  What would be the best set up for the Sitka Gear?  I want something that will be good for the variations and last more than a year.  Would the Sitka Gear do that? Looking for the pro and con.  My Daughter looking for something to buy me for Christmas    :goldtooth:
Everything I have and have become is due to the Lord and his great mercy.

Offline rastaman

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
Re: Advice on Sitka gear for the deep south.
« Reply #1 on: November 07, 2010, 03:43:00 PM »
i'm no expert, but i do live in the south and use sitka gear for most of my hunting.  Early season (hot) i use the core top and ascent pants and my thermacell.  As it starts to cool down, i add a base layer bottom to the ascent pants and a traverse top over the core top. When it gets down to the 30's i add a heavier bottom base layer over the lighter base layer and replace the ascent pants with the celsius bibs.  i will add another traverse top over a traverse top and pack in a celsius vest or jacket to put on after i get to my stand.  i tend to be more cold natured than most, but this works for ME along with hand warmers in my pockets.  Hope this helps.    :)
TGMM Family of the Bow

:archer:                                               

Randy Keene
"Life is precious and so are you."  Marley Keene

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #2 on: November 07, 2010, 03:49:00 PM »
Randy,

How is it for long periods when your still on a stand? Do you get cold?

Offline highpoint forge

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #3 on: November 07, 2010, 03:50:00 PM »
Core/Traverse/Kelvin/Celsius bibs and jacket if you are lean and mean like me. I get cold no matter what. I'm actually thinking of adding Stratus bibs and jacket too in Forest pattern.

I was in the stand 8 hours today. Peeled down to Traverse top and bottom under Celsius bibs. 70f when I got down from the stand. Buddy had to go home so I couldnt make afternoon 3-7 hunt. Damn.
Black Widow PSAX Bocote 57# @28, 58 AMO
Black Widow PLX Tiger Myrtle 60# @28, 64 AMO
J.D. Berry Osage Argos 60# @28, 66 AMO

Offline rastaman

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #4 on: November 07, 2010, 03:52:00 PM »
i did before i figured out the layering system.  i will pack in a vest and jacket when it dips down to the hight 20's.  When it is cold (to me) i have other base layers that i sometimes use, mostly smart wool.  i usually go overboard layering up on the cold mornings and gradually unlayer if i am doing an all day sit.  Then i layer back up as the day gets colder. i love the stuff!
TGMM Family of the Bow

Randy Keene

Offline Steve O

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #5 on: November 07, 2010, 03:57:00 PM »
Randy has it pretty much figured out.  When it gets cold, put the Traverse on FIRST then the core, I think you will be more comfortable.  What I would add is  the Kelvin vest or jacket under a 90% or Stratus jacket will keep you WARM!  The Kelvin is not made to be an outer layer, it is made to slide silently UNDER an outer layer.  When it gets warm, it rolls up into the size of a water bottle, just put it in your pack, take it out likewise when it gets cold.

Offline rastaman

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #6 on: November 07, 2010, 04:05:00 PM »
Thanks Steve!  i added the Kelvin jacket at the end of last year, but it hasn't been cold enough yet to try it out!
TGMM Family of the Bow

Randy Keene

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #7 on: November 07, 2010, 04:18:00 PM »
I'll write more after Church thanks guys.

Offline Arrowslinger

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #8 on: November 07, 2010, 04:19:00 PM »
I have been learning a lot the last few weeks on this stuff.  A kelvin vest is my next purchase.  

Randy I have loved the stuff I got from you.

Steve O thanks for the tips.
Keep It Simple

Jeff Kitchens

Offline highpoint forge

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #9 on: November 07, 2010, 05:10:00 PM »
My MED Kelvin is new with tags and is for sale. Just bought The Kelvin jacket.

Why would you wear Core over Traverse?

Offline Guru

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #10 on: November 07, 2010, 05:31:00 PM »
Great advice from both Randy and Steve    :thumbsup:    :thumbsup:
Curt } >>--->   

"I love you Daddy".......My son Cade while stump shooting  3/19/06

Offline amar911

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #11 on: November 07, 2010, 05:45:00 PM »
I have the Core underwear; the Traverse underwear; the Ascent pants; the 90% pants and jacket; the Celcius bibs, vest and jacket; the Kelvin vest and jacket; the Traverse beanie; the Sitka cap; the Jetstream hat; the Ascent 14, Flash 32 and Bivy 45 packs; and some duplicates (and triplicates) in the underwear, bibs, pants and jackets. I have no idea how much money I have spent on Sitka Gear, but it is a lot, and I have no regrets. I also have a lot of Cabela's hunting clothing, Smart Wool, ASAT clothing, Predator clothing, etc., that are all nice; however, the Sitka Gear is the best all around hunting clothing I have found.

I did continue to get cold on stand, even with the Celcius bibs, vest and jacket over all the underwear layers, until I got the Kelvin vest and jacket! The vest adds enough insulation to keep me comfortable in many situations, but the jacket is more versatile in my experience and adds about 10 degrees more than the vest to the bottom of my comfort range. I also like to use well insulated boots, additional head and neck insulation, and a handwarmer muff with chemical heat packs when the temperatures dip low and the winds blow hard. Sitka Gear is very versatile and is light and compact compared to other clothing I have. It stretches and is slim fitting, which is nice for climbing in and out of trees and shooting my bow. The real secret to making Sitka Gear work in the widest variety of conditions is to add the Kelvin vest and/or jacket to complete the set.

I have worn my Sitka Gear from south Texas to the northern Yukon Territory and have stayed comfortable in every climate and temperature range. If I were hunting polar bear or muskox on the frozen ice fields of the north during winter, I would wear very specialized cold weather clothing, because the Sitka Gear would not be warm enough. And if I were in the steaming jungles of Africa or South America, I would wear lighter clothing adapted specifically to that climate. For just about everything else, the Sitka Gear I have works extremely well. The Core top and Ascent pants breath very well in hotter weather. Changing over to the 90% clothing works well as the temperatures cool. Adding the Traverse underwear and then switching to the Celcius outerwear lets me stay comfortable until the weather gets really cold and I have to put on my Kelvin vest or jacket. When I want to have the least amount of clothing for the widest range of temperatures, like when I am in the Yukon, I take my Core and Traverse underwear, 90% pants and jacket, and Kelvin jacket, along with other accessories like a beanie, hat, gloves, etc. A light set of rain gear is also advisable, but buy something less expensive than the Sitka Gear rain suit, because it is outrageously expensive for what you are getting. I choose Cabela's rain gear. With the more limited set of Sitka Gear I just described, I sometimes am a little hot and other times can be a little cold, but it works well unless I am inactive, like sitting in a stand on a cold day.

No, I am not sponsored by Sitka Gear, but I wish I were for what everything has ended up costing me! I went hunting in New Mexico recently and every client in camp was outfitted in Sitka Gear. All of them (including me) loved their clothing and were glad they had bought it despite its high cost.

Allan
TGMM Family of the Bow

Offline Steve O

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #12 on: November 07, 2010, 06:00:00 PM »
Allan,

That is quite the testimony.  If you look in the B&C, P&Y, Grand Slam, Wild Sheep, Eastmans, ect, the top end hunting mags, you will see the vast majority of the trophy photos have hunters wearing Sitka Gear.  That is because if you use it as intended as a layering SYSTEM, there is nothing better.  Those folks can wear anything they want and believe it or not, there are more expensive options than Sitka Gear.  Guys wear it because it works.

As far as wearing the traverse as the first layer vs. The base layer, I believe it works the same as silk and wool.  Your silk base layers will keep you warmer if you wear them over your wool base layer and cooler under.  I don't know for sure but am guessing it is partly due to thickness and partly due to wicking speed.

Offline highpoint forge

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #13 on: November 07, 2010, 07:19:00 PM »
As I am cold a lot, and we've discussed it here, I am leaning also towards the Incinerator system. I treestand hunt or ground hunt in brush blinds exclusively here in TX. I get cold. I'd like some of the Forest pattern hence my above interest in a Stratus set, but there you gain just windproofness, and I have a windproof Sitka jacket already.  Maybe Kelvin pants would be a simpler solution than the Incinerator?

I am ditching the Under Armor next to skin per Curt and Steve's recommendation. I tried it again as an experiment in 33F yesterday and was warmer in Traverse by itself with a Kelvin vest.

Offline johnnyk71

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #14 on: November 07, 2010, 07:52:00 PM »
i am very glad to see this thread, as i've been curious about Sitka gear as well. i am thinking about getting the Kelvin vest, as i like to keep my arms mostly free of heavy coats. is it pretty warm on its own, with good layering underneath? i live in the same climate as South MS bowhunter.
All lefty, all the time...
Martin Hatfield 45#@28"
Liberty Chief Elite 53#
Blacktail Elite V.L. 53#
Maddog Prairie Predator 51#
Sheepeater Spirit 50#
RER Retro 53#
RER LXR Recurve 52#, Longbow 54#

Offline Steve O

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #15 on: November 07, 2010, 08:43:00 PM »
The Kelvin vest or jacket are the warmest pieces of clothing I own.  That something so light can be so warm is amazing to me.  The Celsius and Jetstream vest do not compare warmth wise,  but they can be worn as an outer layer.

Until I save up for the Incinerator, which is a whole 'nother level of warmth, I will get the same effect with the Stratus/Kelvin combo.

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #16 on: November 07, 2010, 09:41:00 PM »
Is the gear less bulky as a whole when layer up for the extreme cold end say than a regular base layer long johns) shirt and pants with outer thick jacket? Also if one of you guy who is in the know would make it simple for me tell me what you would buy if you were living in my location. Like Base layer+etc....and you were on a budget and couldn't get all you wanted just the bare necessities for now, thanks.

Offline Steve O

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #17 on: November 07, 2010, 10:01:00 PM »
Much less bulky.  One of the keys to buying SG is not to buy it baggy like we have been programmed to do over the years.  It is supposed to be form fitting and it is made to move with you and stretch.

Best bang for your buck to cover a wide temp range in the south:

Core top and bottom
Traverse top and bottom
90% Jacket & Pant
Kelvin vest
Stratus Hat

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #18 on: November 07, 2010, 10:21:00 PM »
Thanks Steve So if I understand you right if I wear large  I would buy large in everything?  What if i'm layering say with the Traverse as my base and then the base goes on next and then the jacket do I need to compensate for this in size? Any sales going on? Close outs?

Offline Steve O

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #19 on: November 07, 2010, 10:32:00 PM »
That is about right. You might upsize the jacket if you plan to layer up a lot, but may not have to.  I am xl in everything and have no issues.

I know Mountain Archery has some older stuff on sale and Camofire.com is always putting some Sitka up for their deal of the day thing.

Users currently browsing this topic:

Contact Us | Trad Gang.com © | User Agreement

Copyright 2003 thru 2024 ~ Trad Gang.com ©