3Rivers Archery

The Trad Gang Digital Market

Contribute to Trad Gang and Access the Classifieds!

Become a Trad Gang Sponsor!

Traditional Archery for Bowhunters

LEFT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS TRAD GANG CLASSIFIEDS ACCESS RIGHT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS

Author Topic: White oaks vs. red oaks.  (Read 299 times)

Offline Liquid Amber

• Trad Bowhunter
White oaks vs. red oaks.
« on: May 27, 2007, 09:30:00 AM »
Every year lots of confusion on the difference between white and red oaks.  For those in GA and SC where I saw lots of late freeze damage while visiting in April, you might spend time searching for red oaks.  The late freeze likely will impact the white oaks this year and red oaks next year, but have little impact on red oaks this fall.

Differences:

White oaks produces mast in one 6-9 months cycle; fertilization in the spring...mast in the fall.

Red oaks produce mast in a 1 year, 6-9 month cycle; fertilization in the spring...mast produced the following fall[1 year and 6-9 months later].  The important thing to remember is that red oaks still normally produce mast each fall...they aren't limited to mast production every other year.  A little later you can easily distinguish between the two different age class acorns on a tree.

Offline W.Tim

• Trad Bowhunter
Re: White oaks vs. red oaks.
« Reply #1 on: May 27, 2007, 01:35:00 PM »
LA, just got out of the woods/ scouting for pigs and deer and filling up feeders, looked at mast, some hurt by the frost, small crabapples, lost a lot of persimmons on some of my favorite trees.And now it is so DRY here in Georgia......acorns will be spoty in my neck of the woods

Users currently browsing this topic:

Contact Us | Trad Gang.com © | User Agreement

Copyright 2003 thru 2024 ~ Trad Gang.com ©