3Rivers Archery

The Trad Gang Digital Market

Contribute to Trad Gang and Access the Classifieds!

Become a Trad Gang Sponsor!

Traditional Archery for Bowhunters

LEFT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS TRAD GANG CLASSIFIEDS ACCESS RIGHT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS

Author Topic: SHREW CREW IS BACK  (Read 1526 times)

Offline Ron LaClair

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
SHREW CREW IS BACK
« on: November 08, 2010, 10:12:00 AM »
We got back from Shrewhaven last night. There were 8 men in camp this year, and  four of us made the long 9 hour drive to and from camp in my truck. The truck and the 13' trailer was loaded with our gear when we left and on the way home we added 3 of the 6 deer that were taken in the 9 days that we were there.

I can't believe that it's over already..    :(   It was a great time with some great guys. The weather was perfect, cool days and cold nights, perfect for hanging deer.

Imagine if you can, getting up in the morning an hour and a half before daylight, everyone in an upbeat mood getting their gear in order, grabbing a cup or two of coffee...or as Tom calls it... "poison". Then as each man heads out the door to his stand he gets a "Good luck" from those still in the cabin. Then several hours after light as each man returns he tells the story of his mornings adventure.

Sometimes there's a blood trail to follow up but we usually wait until everyone is back in camp to retell the stories and decide you goes to recover the deer and who stays. The same is repeated for the afternoon hunt.

Every evening we have a great dinner. Some have said we eat like Kings and I can't imagine, even a King eating any better then we do. Some of the food on the menu this year was Prime Rib with all the fixins, Pork ribs as only Kevin "Ribman" can make them. A 13# leg of lamb, Fried chicken made by Chef Nicalou from his family recipe, Our traditional Fried squirrel dinner with mashed taters and squirrel gravy. Deep fried panfish,  a huge brisket, seasoned and smoked. Then Doug and Randy our Yooper friends usually come out with a bunch of pasties, a traditional Yooper delicacy. It's made with meat, potatoes, carrots, onions and rootabeggies (SP) in a pie crust like shell.  Doug and his wife make them for us in their own super sized version....    :eek:  

Here's a few pictures from camp this year. More to come as they come in to me from the other guys.

Shrewhaven cabin on the right and the new building on the left.

The Shrew Crew with the 6 deer taken this year. There were some nice bucks seen during our stay, several 8 pts, a 9 point and a big 12 pointer but only one buck with the required 3pt's on one side ended up on the "pole" this year.

*note* our old pole finely rotted out so we hung the deer from the deck of the new building.

Also you can see that three of us are wearing the new "Treker" sleeveless and hooded pullovers. This handy garment may soon become "Official" Shrewhaven gear.
 http://www.shrewbows.com/treker_wool/

We live in the present, we dream of the future, but we learn eternal truths from the past
When you were born, you cried and the world rejoiced. Live your life so that when you die, the world cries and you rejoice.
Life is like a wet sponge, you gotta squeeze it until you get every drop it has to offer

Offline NoCams

• TGMM Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
Re: SHREW CREW IS BACK
« Reply #1 on: November 08, 2010, 10:25:00 AM »
Ron,
You were startin to sound like one of us with that, " taters", word, then you had to mention them there, "Yoopers", haha !!! Mason and Skyler bout made me bust a gut laughing on the way home from Compton this past summer with their best, "Yoopers", imitations. Skyler especially, he has it down pat !

Looking forward to the rest of the pics and stories. I trust that the new Armstrong Ghost made meat this past week ? Anyone wind up with a fork in the back of their hand as they reached for the last piece of fried chicken ?
TGMM  Family of the Bow
"Failure to plan is planned failure"

Offline WESTBROOK

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #2 on: November 08, 2010, 10:30:00 AM »
Nice goin Fellas! Those pics have "Good Times" written all over them!

Ron , you gonna be around the house tomorrow?

I have to be in Okemos at 10:30 for my Electrical Contractors test and thought I might swing by for a Howdy.

Eric

Offline amar911

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #3 on: November 08, 2010, 10:40:00 AM »
Welcome home and congratulations on a fun time in the woods. Between all the LaClair wool and the Shrew bows and steel products, you guys look like quite the pack of hunters. And with all the meat hanging behind you, you have proved what an efficient pack you are. If I didn't know better, I would think you got Santa to join you for the hunt. He looks good there in the middle of the picture wearing Ron's clothes. I think you may have wiped out Santa's sled team!    :notworthy:  

Allan
TGMM Family of the Bow

Offline varmint101

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #4 on: November 08, 2010, 10:46:00 AM »
Pretty cool!  Congrats to you all!
Bless The Lord, O My Soul!

Member:
Indiana Bowhunter Association
Compton Traditional Bowhunters
Professional Bowhunters Society

Offline ron w

• Contributing Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #5 on: November 08, 2010, 10:48:00 AM »
Looks like a great time!
In the beginner's mind there are many possibilities. In the expert's there are few...So the most difficult thing is always to keep your beginner's mind...This is also the real secret of the arts: always be a beginner.  Shunryu Suzuki

Offline Ron LaClair

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #6 on: November 08, 2010, 10:58:00 AM »
Jimmy...   :D

Eric, I can't guarantee I'll be around, I've got a ton of running to do today and tomorrow to get ready to go up and hunt with a couple other friends later this week...

Allan, you're so perceptive...   :biglaugh:
We live in the present, we dream of the future, but we learn eternal truths from the past
When you were born, you cried and the world rejoiced. Live your life so that when you die, the world cries and you rejoice.
Life is like a wet sponge, you gotta squeeze it until you get every drop it has to offer

Offline Tim Fishell

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #7 on: November 08, 2010, 10:59:00 AM »
Glad to hear you all made it home safe!!  Looks like another great year at deer camp.    :thumbsup:
Dreams can not be bought; they are free to those who have lived. -Mike Mitten

We must go beyond the textbooks, go out into the untrodden depths of the wilderness & travel & explore & tell the world the glories of our journey

TGMM Family of the Bow

Offline Jeffrey Coria

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #8 on: November 08, 2010, 11:04:00 AM »
Ron,
thanks for sharing, sounds like a great time! the pictures didn't load for me though.  Must be my computer  :)  

Jeff

Offline Tim

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #9 on: November 08, 2010, 11:05:00 AM »
Nice photos Ron!  Glad to hear you had another successful year.

Tim

Online Stumpkiller

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #10 on: November 08, 2010, 11:16:00 AM »
Looks great!  I have fond memories of something much cruder - with chili and coffee being the only menu option at any meal.  ;-)
Charlie P. }}===]> A.B.C.C.

Bear Kodiak & K. Hunter, D. Palmer Hunter, Ben Pearson Hunter, Wing Presentation II & 4 Red Wing Hunters (LH & 3 RH), Browning Explorer, Cobra II & Wasp, Martin/Howatt Dream Catcher, Root Warrior, Shakespeare Necedah.

Offline Ron LaClair

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #11 on: November 08, 2010, 11:22:00 AM »
Kevin was one of the first ones to score with two nice does,..but they were   both shot in the   BUTT..    :saywhat:  

Offline Ron LaClair

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #12 on: November 08, 2010, 11:48:00 AM »
Tim, Roger killed the biggest deer in camp with the "Armstrong Ghost" Even though he loves his Lil' Favorite recurve, there's no way to get that little longbow away from him now...sorry..   :dunno:

Offline Tim Fishell

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #13 on: November 08, 2010, 12:22:00 PM »
LOL that's alright Ron.  I know Roger regreted giving back the Lil' Favorite prototype so he can have this one!!   :thumbsup:  

Glad to hear the bow shot well for him.
Dreams can not be bought; they are free to those who have lived. -Mike Mitten

We must go beyond the textbooks, go out into the untrodden depths of the wilderness & travel & explore & tell the world the glories of our journey

TGMM Family of the Bow

Offline **DONOTDELETE**

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #14 on: November 08, 2010, 05:43:00 PM »
No chance I'm letting this new Armstrong Ghost go. I haven't hunted with a longbow since the Li'l Fav came out, and I kinda felt guilty about it. but it's a great bow. Love it. I shot my doe from the ground, the Ghost punching a Trailmaker broad head through both lungs. It would have been a quick recovery, but I lost track of her as she went down a steep side of Banana Ridge...I thought she went west and she had "deeked" left and then headed straight north. In reality she only went 75 yards, but it took us about an hour to find her. Master Tracker Tom Jenkins led the way as Eric Bell and I stumbled along....we found her though    ;)  

Because it is so warm here today I took her to a butcher this morning. I'm having the hide tanned (hair off) and plan to make a bow case for the Armstrong Ghost out of the first deer it laid low....

Offline **DONOTDELETE**

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #15 on: November 08, 2010, 05:58:00 PM »

Tom Jenkins, Master Tracker and Airline Pilot, with my doe

Offline jcar315

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #16 on: November 08, 2010, 05:58:00 PM »
Always enjoy your posts and look forward to more pics and more story.

Thanks for sharing!
Proud Dad to two awesome Kids and a very passionate pig hunter.

Right handed but left eye dominant.

Proud to be a Native TEXAN!!!!!

"TGMM  Family of the Bow"

Offline Cyclic-Rivers

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #17 on: November 08, 2010, 06:00:00 PM »
:thumbsup:
Relax,

You'll live longer!

Charlie Janssen

PBS Associate Member
Wisconsin Traditional Archers

>~TGMM~> <~Family~Of~The~Bow~<

Offline Ron LaClair

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #18 on: November 08, 2010, 06:39:00 PM »
Roger didn't have his bow with him when he went to track his deer. I had a little talk with him and  told him that was a mistake..   :knothead: . I don't think he'll do it again...   "[dntthnk]"  

Here he is with his deer AND the bow back at camp..   :rolleyes:

Offline **DONOTDELETE**

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #19 on: November 08, 2010, 06:52:00 PM »
Ron giving Tim Cosgrove (Kustom King) a lesson. It didn't take.....  :bigsmyl:  

Users currently browsing this topic:

Contact Us | Trad Gang.com © | User Agreement

Copyright 2003 thru 2024 ~ Trad Gang.com ©