3Rivers Archery

The Trad Gang Digital Market

Contribute to Trad Gang and Access the Classifieds!

Become a Trad Gang Sponsor!

Traditional Archery for Bowhunters

LEFT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS TRAD GANG CLASSIFIEDS ACCESS RIGHT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS

Author Topic: Eye contact w/ deer  (Read 757 times)

Offline Peter Smith

• Trad Bowhunter
Re: Eye contact w/ deer
« Reply #20 on: November 08, 2010, 07:43:00 PM »
Yep staring contest usually end in an empty game pole. I normally wear glasses, and have found that the transitional lenses hide my eyes from deer nicely. The drawback is they also change in the lowest of light and make for a longer darker morning.

Pete
You get what you get.

Offline Leon.R

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #21 on: November 08, 2010, 08:05:00 PM »
I think all animals are the same, just stare at someone in a crowd and see how long it takes them to look at you...same way you feel someone looking at you.
Deer are just better at it than us.
Black Douglas 68#
Wing Gull 60#
Hoyt Havoc 80#
Coupla other wheelies.
If ya gonna be stupid, you better be tough!

Offline Chris Shelton

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #22 on: November 08, 2010, 08:07:00 PM »
With small game it is essential. And since it seems that small game hunting is just big game training to me, I use the same techniques for big game! I always avert, and like others have said I often close them too!
~Chris Shelton
"By failing to prepare you are preparing to fail"~Ben Franklin

Offline ksbowman

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #23 on: November 08, 2010, 08:29:00 PM »
I never make eye contact. I even squint when a deer looks my way. Glad to know I'm not the only one freaky about it.
I would've taken better care of myself,if I'd known I was gonna live this long!

Offline njloco

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #24 on: November 08, 2010, 08:50:00 PM »
Put camo makeup on your eye lids, as they area like a flash light everytime you blink.
  • Leon Stewart 3pc. 64" R/D 51# @ 27"
  • Gordy Morey 2pc. 68" R/D 55# @ 28"
  • Hoyt Pro Medalist, 70" 42# @ 28" (1963)
  • Bear Tamerlane 66" 30# @ 28" (1966)- for my better half
  • Bear Kodiak 60" 47# @ 28"(1965)

Offline bad arrow

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #25 on: November 08, 2010, 09:51:00 PM »
Yeah I've had deer look me right in the eye. I was told years ago to avert your eyes when that happens. If they dont see movement or catch your scent they'll return to what they were doing, if not with a little suspicion. Phil

Offline -Achilles-

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #26 on: November 09, 2010, 12:35:00 AM »
I read in the UBM years ago about a study they did on the small indention between human eyes.They said there is what they call a "cone" there that had no purpose other then for psychic power.1 thing they talked about was when some hunters go hunting the animals tend to move around behind them instead of in front of them because the signals that your giving off through the cone repel the animals from ever being right in front of you because you have the intent to shoot them.How many of you have had that happen?I know whenever I want to hunt and kill something the animals never appear in front of me like I plan they always come from behind or something difficult they never make it easy like for some people.My cousin has deer practically lay down right in front of him and give up.He gets easy shots and the deer just are drawn to him(and he is a ground hunter,stalker and we all know how hard it is to kill a deer from the ground) and he kills with ease every year.The article said it has to do with how deep or shallow the indention between your eyes is and that is what determines how much psychic waves your putting out.I'm beginning to believe it.Some hunters kill out so easy its rediculous and some hunt their a$$ off all year and maybe get 1.I am a better stalker then my cousin and thats a fact.I have better health, balance,stealth,I'm more patient, everything yet he has no problem killing with ease and its a struggle for me.I have a TON of close calls every year but its usually something like the deer comes in from behind me and is standing 5 yards behind me where I can't do anything.When I don't have a weapon with me and killing an animal is the last thing on my mind thats when a deer walks up right in front of me at 5 yards and stands there for 20 minutes.

Do any of you remember reading this in the UBM,United bowhunters of missouri magazine?

Offline Bowwild

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #27 on: November 09, 2010, 07:15:00 AM »
I don't believe it matters to the deer whether you're eye-balling them or not.

I do know it matters to me.  I'm much better off not looking directly at the deer's "face" becaue it bends me further out of shape.

I think when folks eye-ball the deer they don't realize their mouth opens progressively wider and wider ... that's what Mrs. Doe sees. (of course I'm kidding about the mouth).

Offline Swamp Preacher

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #28 on: November 09, 2010, 07:21:00 AM »
Old timers taught me: avoid eye contact and don't show your teeth.
When a man walks in the fear of God he knows no fear, even if he 
were to be surrounded by wicked men. This makes him strong 
and able to take on anything, even things which seem difficult or 
impossible to most people. St. Symeon

Offline SEMO_HUNTER

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #29 on: November 09, 2010, 07:40:00 AM »
Originally posted by Hill Hunter:
I don't know if its a sixth since but it happens, I tend to think that a set of predator eyes is just something they pick up. looking away is not enough in my experience, squint or close your eyes.
You nailed it Hill, we are predators and deer have to deal with all kinds. They have learned to spot us just like we have learned to spot them and the eyes are a dead give away, especially if your face isn't covered up.....anybody who doesn't at least wear a face mask should really think about getting one.

When you were a kid and just learning to hunt, did your dad, uncle, or grandfather ever take you out to try and find a rabbit sitting so you could shoot one? Mine did and you know what he looked for amongst other things to spot a sitting rabbit buried up in brush......the eye.
He told me that it looked like a big black marble and the eye is a dead give away, find the rabbit's eye and the rest of him will come into focus.
I think that's what deer do.......they may not see the outline of your body right away with good camo on, but if they see your eyes and stare at you long enough the rest of your outline will come into focus.
I wouldn't call it a magical 6th sense, just very good survival skills.
~Varitas Vos Liberabit~ John 8:32

Offline SEMO_HUNTER

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #30 on: November 09, 2010, 07:52:00 AM »
Achilles- I would like to read that article if you can locate it. Don't know for sure, but there could be some truth to that?
Who knows? If a dog can detect cancer in a human body then why couldn't a deer pick up on negative..Predatory energy from a human?
Maybe we should all think about puppies, flowers, kittens, Santa Claus, and the easter bunny while we are deer hunting?    :bigsmyl:
~Varitas Vos Liberabit~ John 8:32

Offline kbetts

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #31 on: November 09, 2010, 08:23:00 AM »
I stare 'em down all the time.  That's how you learn what they're thinkin'.  

Must be the face paint.
"The overhead view is of me in a maze...you see what I'm hunting a few steps away."  Phish

Offline BTW

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #32 on: November 09, 2010, 08:37:00 AM »
I tend to squint at turkeys and deer when they are looking at me. I do believe they can pick out the eyes of a predator.  We all have a "six sense", even the animals. Like someone already said, how often have you looked at someone and they turn and look right at you. Or you just sense someone walking up behind you.  Oooooooooooo!....Spooky:)

Offline -Achilles-

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #33 on: November 09, 2010, 08:51:00 AM »
Semo....I will try and find it I think I still have it.

Offline Don Stokes

• Tradbowhunter
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #34 on: November 09, 2010, 08:53:00 AM »
They don't need a sixth sense- the five they have are enough to make fools of us most of the time!

Predator species (like us) have their eyes located on the front of their heads, for binocular vision and improved focus on their prey. Prey species have their eyes located on the sides of their heads, where they can look all around without moving their heads. A deer can see a much broader field of vision than we can. Prey species naturally are alerted by a pair of predator eyes looking at them as a survival tool.

Dan Quillian clued me in to these facts. Makes perfect sense to me. After learning this, I squint and/or close one eye when a deer is in front of me. Since the eye on your side can always pick you out, they don't even have to be facing your way to see your eyes.
Those who would give up essential liberty to purchase a little temporary safety deserve neither liberty nor safety.- Ben Franklin

Offline Jason R. Wesbrock

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #35 on: November 09, 2010, 01:54:00 PM »
Honestly, I've never bought into this whole sixth sense, don't look them in the eye thing. So for the past few years, every time a deer that I intend to shoot gets within range, I stare at them and think as many ill thoughts as possible. Judging by my chest freezer, I'd have to say it hasn't hurt my chances any.

Offline -Achilles-

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #36 on: November 09, 2010, 03:20:00 PM »
Jason...Yes but you may be one of the lucky people that was born with a psychic cone that puts off zero waves.

Online Stumpkiller

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #37 on: November 09, 2010, 03:39:00 PM »
Originally posted by Jason R. Wesbrock:
Honestly, I've never bought into this whole sixth sense, don't look them in the eye thing. So for the past few years, every time a deer that I intend to shoot gets within range, I stare at them and think as many ill thoughts as possible. Judging by my chest freezer, I'd have to say it hasn't hurt my chances any.
I don't understand it?  Even in my Shrew-Works wool hood the deer always make me when I stare!

Charlie P. }}===]> A.B.C.C.

Bear Kodiak & K. Hunter, D. Palmer Hunter, Ben Pearson Hunter, Wing Presentation II & 4 Red Wing Hunters (LH & 3 RH), Browning Explorer, Cobra II & Wasp, Martin/Howatt Dream Catcher, Root Warrior, Shakespeare Necedah.

Offline Jason R. Wesbrock

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #38 on: November 09, 2010, 04:31:00 PM »
Originally posted by -Achilles-:
Jason...Yes but you may be one of the lucky people that was born with a psychic cone that puts off zero waves.
I had them take out my psychic cone when they repaired my ruptured gizzard.  
   ;)

Offline Don Stokes

• Tradbowhunter
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #39 on: November 09, 2010, 04:47:00 PM »
What hump?   :biglaugh:
Those who would give up essential liberty to purchase a little temporary safety deserve neither liberty nor safety.- Ben Franklin

Users currently browsing this topic:

Contact Us | Trad Gang.com © | User Agreement

Copyright 2003 thru 2024 ~ Trad Gang.com ©