3Rivers Archery

The Trad Gang Digital Market

Contribute to Trad Gang and Access the Classifieds!

Become a Trad Gang Sponsor!

Traditional Archery for Bowhunters

LEFT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS TRAD GANG CLASSIFIEDS ACCESS RIGHT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS

Author Topic: KME Knife Sharpener for Broadheads?  (Read 226 times)

Offline BobCo 1965

• Trad Bowhunter
KME Knife Sharpener for Broadheads?
« on: November 08, 2010, 02:22:00 PM »
Anyone use the KME Knife shaprener for broadheads?

I have a broadhead that I kind of like (Helix), the blade (not the edge) has two two different angles to it. I am thinking that the KME knife or Smiths or Lansky might work best.

It is a single bevel and the blade angle and thickness look to be good. Unfortunately, it does not come as sharp as I'd like as it still has rough grinds that can be felt with a fingernail:

Offline Bill Turner

• Trad Bowhunter
Re: KME Knife Sharpener for Broadheads?
« Reply #1 on: November 08, 2010, 03:03:00 PM »
Contact Ron at KME. He won't steer you wrong. I use the KME knife sharpener on my old Bear Razorheads and Ace Standards but they are both more traditional 2 blade heads.

Offline DannyBows

• Contributing Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #2 on: November 08, 2010, 05:33:00 PM »
There was a thread within the last few days where that broadhead was mentioned. You might want to PM Kip (Coaster500) as he uses the Helix. There was a picture of a jig he made to help him sharpen them. I plan to get some of those heads and try them out.

Here is a link to the thread:
  http://tradgang.com/cgi-bin/ultimatebb.cgi?ubb=get_topic;f=1;t=095847
"Always feel the wind, and walk just like the leaves".  ("LongBow Country"--Chad Slagle, "High, Wild, and Free").

Offline Sharpster

• SPONSOR
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #3 on: November 09, 2010, 06:44:00 PM »
Bob,

I haven't had a chance to actually hold one of the Helix broadheads in my hand yet but I'd bet the knife sharpener would work very well with them. The only doubt that I have from looking at the picture is that the factory bevel looks VERY steep...like 40 degrees or so? Might just be the picture though. If it's 30 or lower (as it optimumly would be) you would just sharpen the two different angles as individual blades. Should be able to get them just crazy sharp too. Unfortunately, I can't say for sure till we know what the factory bevel angle is. If you can find out, let me know. Thanks,

Ron
“We choose to do these things, not because they are easy, but because they are hard” — JFK

www.kmesharp.com

TGMM Family of the Bow

Offline straitera

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #4 on: November 09, 2010, 08:54:00 PM »
Sharpener is as good as the user's confidence. Ron will walk you through w/o pretense.
Buddy Bell

Trad is 60% mental & about 40% mental.

Users currently browsing this topic:

Contact Us | Trad Gang.com © | User Agreement

Copyright 2003 thru 2024 ~ Trad Gang.com ©