3Rivers Archery

The Trad Gang Digital Market

Contribute to Trad Gang and Access the Classifieds!

Become a Trad Gang Sponsor!

Traditional Archery for Bowhunters

LEFT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS TRAD GANG CLASSIFIEDS ACCESS RIGHT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS

Author Topic: Who uses the swing draw for hunting?  (Read 475 times)

Online 2Blade

• Trad Bowhunter
Who uses the swing draw for hunting?
« on: May 27, 2007, 07:31:00 PM »
This is a great style of shooting but how do you pull it off with an animal in front of you? Ive heard Fred Asbell does it and hes a great hunter I dont see how its possible though. How do you guys do it?
The Stuttering Bowhunter

Offline BigRonHuntAlot

• Trad Bowhunter
Re: Who uses the swing draw for hunting?
« Reply #1 on: May 27, 2007, 07:36:00 PM »
I would say rabbit hunting would be the way to learn.
>>>-TGMM Family Of The Bow-->

The Moon Gave Us The Bow, The Sun Gave Us The Arrow

Walk Softly and Carry a Big Stick

Offline snakewood3

• Tradbowhunter
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #2 on: May 27, 2007, 07:47:00 PM »
It works fine for hunting, it just kinda' happens. I've killed numerous hogs, an 8pt. and a doe off the ground using the swing draw. Like bigRon said ..rabbits would be great. Practice is the key.
U.S. Navy Seabees '79 - '86
Custom knives and leatherwork

Offline Precurve

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #3 on: May 27, 2007, 08:08:00 PM »
I modify the swing draw slightly by starting the bow at about a 60 degree angle from the ground, so that my "swing" is almost zero.  This way I keep my movement to a minimum while still able to benefit from the shot enhancing features this draw offers.

Online 2Blade

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #4 on: May 27, 2007, 08:15:00 PM »
Would squirrel hunting be a good way also? I too have modified my draw I was using the set arm draw for awhile but the swing draw seems more natural I think because ive done it alot more. I do the real swing draw but I also try to start it at my chest and it seems to have the same effect.
The Stuttering Bowhunter

Offline Terry Green

• Administrator
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #5 on: May 27, 2007, 08:29:00 PM »
I mostly pre-point......but do use the swing draw when the shot dictates it.
Tradbowhunting Video Store - https://digitalstore.tradgang.com/

Tradgang Bowhunting Merchandise - https://tradgang.creator-spring.com/?

Tradgang DVD - https://www.tradgang.com/tgstore/index.html

"It's important,  when going after a goal, to never lose sight of the integrity of the journey" - Andy Garcia

'An anchor point is not a destination, its  an evolution to conclusion'

Offline RC

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #6 on: May 27, 2007, 08:43:00 PM »
I usually have the bow in position and draw almost straight back when stand hunting or up close foot hunting but I practice the swing draw and have killed a few critters I would not have got drawn on otherwise using it.Does it work? Watch the John Shultz video.RC

Online 2Blade

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #7 on: May 27, 2007, 10:39:00 PM »
Originally posted by RC:
I usually have the bow in position and draw almost straight back when stand hunting or up close foot hunting but I practice the swing draw and have killed a few critters I would not have got drawn on otherwise using it.Does it work? Watch the John Shultz video.RC
Is there an online video? If so could you post a link?
The Stuttering Bowhunter

Offline LBR

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #8 on: May 27, 2007, 10:40:00 PM »
Maybe I'm wrong, but I think he's asking how you do it without alerting the animal.  

I swing draw a lot when bowfishing, shooting aireal targets, etc. but I can't see it happening on a MS whitetail in most instances.  I sit in my stand/blind with the bow in front of me and move as little as possible.....and still get busted!   :banghead:  

After talking with quite a few folks that have hunted in different places, it seems that deer are more alert in some places than in others.

Chad

Offline Terry Green

• Administrator
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #9 on: May 27, 2007, 11:02:00 PM »
Oh....gotcha Chad.  I just read the title.

I shot a buck that I caught coming it to my rattling on thanks giving....I swung drew as he walked behind a root ball of a blow down and shot hit as he cleared.

I swung drew on a SC hog that appeared out of nowhere as he was quartering away from me.

I swung drew on an angora goat as it fled quartering way.

And I swung drew on my antelope buck last Sept as he was trotting broadside in front of me and shot when he stopped.

I swung drew on a TX hog I was stalking when he gave me a shot over a prickly pair.

I've swung drew on many a TX rabbit, and two javalina.

Like I said, I usually pre-point, but swing draw on when the shot dictates.  I don't swing draw when I think I'm going to get caught, I swing draw when the opportunity knocks.  You'll know it when the opportunity presents itself....and it will usually just happen without thinking.

"It's important,  when going after a goal, to never lose sight of the integrity of the journey" - Andy Garcia

Online 2Blade

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #10 on: May 28, 2007, 01:54:00 AM »
Chad nailed it that is what this thread is about. Terry does Fred Asbell use the swing draw under every situation or does he pre point on some shots at game?
The Stuttering Bowhunter

Offline mcgroundstalker

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #11 on: May 28, 2007, 07:10:00 AM »
I can't swing draw...  :(  ... Cause I'm just too short! ... My bottom limb tip gets caught in the brush ... SOOoooo- I use the push pull method ... Kinda works for me...

... mike ... aka: "Waysiah" ...  :rolleyes:  ...
"Be faithful in small things because it is in them that your strength lies"

Online Charlie Lamb

• Administrator
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #12 on: May 28, 2007, 08:25:00 AM »
"Swing draw" immediately brings to mind pictures of the bow coming from way down by our side and up into shooting position.

In reality, swing draw simply means not pre pointing at the target and may only involve mere inches of movement of the bow.

Most big game animals will not tolerate big movements during the shot process, so the swing draw shooter must adapt his style to the situation.
Hunt Sharp

Charlie

Offline LBR

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #13 on: May 29, 2007, 09:51:00 AM »
Reckon it's like a lot of other things in this sport--the definition can vary.  When I think of "swing draw", I think of Asbell's method:  start with the bow on the leg, draw as you come up, release as soon as you hit anchor (that's a short version of what is on his video).  That's not exactly the way I do it, but to me a swing draw incorporates a lot of movement.  That's why I can't see it happening on a MS whitetail in most situations.

Charlie's definition, where the bow may only move a few inches, is obviously not the same as mine.  I've never considered the way I shoot as being a swing draw, but by Charlie's definition it is.  I don't pre-point my arrow, but I do generally start the shot with the bow in front of me.

Chad

Offline Jeff Strubberg

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #14 on: May 29, 2007, 10:37:00 AM »
I can't pre-point.  I've tried and just can't make it work.

So I swing draw.  Swing-drawing doesn't mean you have to start with the bow at your hip.  Who wants to move that much with game in front of them?  I start with the bow maybe five or six inches low and start my draw as it comes up to "on point".  That's enough to convince my body we are doing the same thing as in practice, but a lot less game-spooking movement than starting at my waist.
"Teach him horsemanship and archery, and teach him to despise all lies"          -Herodotus

Offline Cutty47

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #15 on: May 29, 2007, 10:44:00 AM »
I can pre-point and swing draw...just another tool depending on the situation...like  being able to shoot off one knee, two knees etc...just takes a little specific practice and you'd be surprised how natural all of these can feel.

In the field, I tend to swing draw more when hunting small game, but it can come in handy when you're on the ground and behind a tree...or up in a stand with the wind in your favor, and you have to make a snap shot.

Offline Terry Green

• Administrator
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #16 on: May 29, 2007, 11:10:00 AM »
Originally posted by Jeff Strubberg:
I start with the bow maybe five or six inches low
That's what I call pre-point.

Offline BobCo 1965

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #17 on: May 29, 2007, 11:17:00 AM »
Personally, I can get a bit better alignment with a swing draw. I still draw the last few inches directly back though.

Seems like if my bow arm is up and pointed at the target (before the draw) and I want to pull the arrow directly back to anchor there is some awkwardness, especially when trying to keep my draw arm elbow/forearm in proper aligment thoughout the draw. Kind of hard to explain.

Online 2Blade

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #18 on: May 29, 2007, 05:25:00 PM »
Me to BobCo I find myself trying to keep my bow arm solid the whole time so I break my concentration.
The Stuttering Bowhunter

Users currently browsing this topic:

Contact Us | Trad Gang.com © | User Agreement

Copyright 2003 thru 2024 ~ Trad Gang.com ©