3Rivers Archery

The Trad Gang Digital Market

Contribute to Trad Gang and Access the Classifieds!

Become a Trad Gang Sponsor!

Traditional Archery for Bowhunters

LEFT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS TRAD GANG CLASSIFIEDS ACCESS RIGHT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS

Author Topic: Bare Shafting with Quiver/ Changes Things  (Read 328 times)

Offline PastorSteveHill

• Trad Bowhunter
Bare Shafting with Quiver/ Changes Things
« on: November 10, 2010, 01:09:00 PM »
Got a question for you fellas that bare shaft.   I bare shafted and got a perfect flying arrow, so I added the quiver I'll be using and shot again. And  it showed my arrow was stiff...  I wondered about this and did the process several times. Each time the quiver is on, the arrow shows stiff...  

Is the quiver (kanati pro strap on) affecting the working limbs on the bow and causing the arrow to now be stiff, or is something else at work?  THanks

2nd question, should I bare shaft and use the arrow that I'll be shooting with the quiver on, even though I need it slightly weaker with the quiver?  
Steve
Blessings,
Steve

Offline House

• Contributing Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
Re: Bare Shafting with Quiver/ Changes Things
« Reply #1 on: November 10, 2010, 01:12:00 PM »
I'll be watching this one Steve, I just added bow quivers to a couple of bows.

Travis
"Dad I think maybe sometimes you think too much" after an errant shot stump shooting with Cameron, my 5 year old son.

TGMM Family of the Bow
MK, LLC Shareholder
Proud Member of the Twister Twelve

Offline Crash

• Contributing Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #2 on: November 10, 2010, 01:23:00 PM »
Two explainations.  One, the quiver could be affecting the limbs, two, the quiver adds weight to the bow which changes the dynamics of how the bow responds at the shot.  Could be either causing your problem.  Best thing to do is to set it up the way you are going to shoot or hunt.
"Instinctive archery is all about possibilities.  Mechanist archery is all about alternatives. "  Dean Torges

Offline PastorSteveHill

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #3 on: November 10, 2010, 01:34:00 PM »
Crash, I do agree... I'd still be interested in knowing why.

NOw to really mess things up... I tried a great northern strap on quiver.. It doesn't do this at all... It shoots right with the bow....  ???? it isn't as heavy a quiver though..
Blessings,
Steve

Offline John Dill

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #4 on: November 10, 2010, 02:10:00 PM »
Steve

The Kanati pro is designed with a slightly larger limb channel at its mounting point so that customers dont have to contend with a quiver mounted on the working part of your limbs. I might suggest moving the quiver further down the limbs below the fades toward your riser, for a proper fit so that you want have changes in the limb function. Also, weight in any form added to a bow will cause a slightly stiffer arrow. I would set up my hunting rig with a bow quiver on, no matter what quiver is used.

Offline Jeff Strubberg

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #5 on: November 10, 2010, 02:58:00 PM »
Always happens with a bow quiver.  It's a good idea to do some shooting with your quiver fully loaded just to be sure you are still getting good flight.

I've always though it was the extra weight causing the bow to sit in my bow hand a little differently.  My reasoning is that the effect seems to get more pronounced the heavier the quiver is or the more arrows I stock it with.
"Teach him horsemanship and archery, and teach him to despise all lies"          -Herodotus

Offline PastorSteveHill

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #6 on: November 10, 2010, 03:03:00 PM »
Very cool learning experience...

The kanati quiver is heavier for sure. I ordered it that way.. I like to add weight to my longbow for stability purposes...  It is the nicest quiver I've found to date, just curious as to why the extra mass of it stiffens the arrow...  In any case, this was kind of cool... I didn't realize quivers made such a difference...
Blessings,
Steve

Offline JimB

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #7 on: November 10, 2010, 03:35:00 PM »
You should always tune with everything on the bow as it will be when you hunt with it.Leave one arrow out of the quiver,just as when you take a hunting shot.

Offline Hud

• Contributing Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
  • 360-921-5779
« Reply #8 on: November 10, 2010, 03:43:00 PM »
I have had similar problems with a GN Longbow Quiverr on several R&D longbows, but not on recurves with more center shot.  I also noticed the balance may cause the bow to turn on release. You might put some talc powder on the rest & bow to see if anything is hitting on release.
TGMM Family of the Bow

Offline 2fletch

• SPONSOR
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #9 on: November 10, 2010, 08:39:00 PM »
A bowquiver can act as a stabilizer but keep in mind that it is mounted to the side of the bow. We have done some testing to see what effect a quiver might have at altering the way the bow shoots.

It seems that the more to the side a quiver is, and the further it is from the riser, the more it seems to have an effect on where the bow shoots. We tried a competitor quiver which showed a definite change in how the bow shot. Then we tried another heavier competitor quiver and could see no change. This proved that it was not just weight that was a factor.

Whatever quiver you have, tune the bow with the quiver on the bow to be safe.

Offline metsastaja

• TGMM Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #10 on: November 10, 2010, 08:56:00 PM »
You need to tune the arrows with the  bow set up the way you plan to hunt.
Les Heilakka
TGMM Family of the Bow  
Some times the uneventful nights are just as good if not better than the eventful ones

Users currently browsing this topic:

Contact Us | Trad Gang.com © | User Agreement

Copyright 2003 thru 2024 ~ Trad Gang.com ©