3Rivers Archery

The Trad Gang Digital Market

Contribute to Trad Gang and Access the Classifieds!

Become a Trad Gang Sponsor!

Traditional Archery for Bowhunters

LEFT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS TRAD GANG CLASSIFIEDS ACCESS RIGHT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS

Author Topic: Flashlight  (Read 882 times)

Offline champ38

• Contributing Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
Re: Flashlight
« Reply #20 on: November 10, 2010, 11:20:00 PM »
Main Beam without a doubt...the power in that little dood is just phenominal.
56" Shrew Classic Carbon 68@29
58" 2-P Centaur Cabon Elite 57@29

Offline Barry Wensel

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #21 on: November 10, 2010, 11:38:00 PM »
Our Mainbeam and the Fenix PD30 R4 are one and the same. We just call it a "Main Beam" so hunters can relate to it (Main Beam... get it?) We also keep updating the models as they improve them. It's up to 265 lumens now. You have the options of six outputs starting at 11 lumens for a maximum runtime of 65 hours straight. And all in a package that weighs about 2 oz. and fits in your shirt pocket. They really are unbelievable lights for what we as hunters use them for. Thanks. BW

Offline mrjsl

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #22 on: November 10, 2010, 11:54:00 PM »
Princeton Tec Attitude.
 http://www.princetontec.com/index.php?q=attitude

The Impact II is practically the same light.

Not a super bright light, but most things you need a flashlight for you don't need a super bright one. I use this light for everything except shining the tops of tall trees when coon hunting. I use a mining type coon hunting light for that.

The Attitude is small enough to carry in your pocket, uses 4 AAA batteries, and has 150 hour burn time, so your batteries are never dead. You change them about once every year. It is rugged, it twists on/off - no button switch to fail. It is just one of my most dependable pieces of gear, and I always have one in my pocket. Price? Less than $20.

I have two or three of them. Never had one fail, and have never had dead batteries. I change them once a year. Right before hunting season. They are more than bright enough for blood trailing, in fact I have used my coon light for blood trailing before, but I prefer a light than it not so bright just in case you bump the deer. My coon light on bright will spook everything in the woods including nests of yellowjackets.

Offline S.C. Hunter

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #23 on: November 11, 2010, 12:35:00 AM »
I have a surefire. Great light. It also serves as my companion for my bedtime security system loaded with winchester ranger T series 180 grain noise makers.
USMC 82-86

Offline Hawkeye

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #24 on: November 11, 2010, 12:52:00 AM »
Another vote for the Main Beam.  I use mine almost every day for one reason or another, and it is the most useful (and versatile) flashlight I've ever seen.  Batteries seem to last me forever, and from "candle" to "torch" power, it is just a great tool!
Daryl Harding
"He is no fool who gives what he cannot keep to gain that which he cannot lose."  Jim Elliot

Traditional bowhunting is often a game of seconds... and inches!

Offline David Yukon

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #25 on: November 11, 2010, 01:10:00 AM »
No body uses head lamps??
I like head lamp the best, they point were you look and the live your hands free!! good one are Petzel Tikka, and some lamps from mamuth outdoors!!

Offline Zradix

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #26 on: November 11, 2010, 01:28:00 AM »
Originally posted by Guru:
The Brothers of the Bow(Wensels) main beam light is absolutely incredible!  Tiny, super high quality, and lasts forever!

Go to their site, it's on the Sponsors list...
I have one...It ROCKS!!
It's a Fenix PD30
Really a very nice torch.
The lowest power is great for in and out of the woods. Sometimes I wish it had a slightly lower setting.
The med and high power settings are great!
You adjust the brightness by lightly pressing the on/off button on the back end of the light.

The reflector is "bumpy" on purpose.
The reflector gives the beam what I would say a 60% flood 40% spot focus.
The beam is shaped perfect for hunting, following blood trails,...finding your stand...lol

I give it..   :thumbsup:    :thumbsup:
If some animals are good at hunting and others are suitable for hunting, then the Gods must clearly smile on hunting.~Aristotle

..there's more fun in hunting with the handicap of the bow than there is in hunting with the sureness of the gun.~ F.Bear

Offline Zradix

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #27 on: November 11, 2010, 01:32:00 AM »
Originally posted by Stumpkiller:
What's the difference between the Mainbeam and the plain 'ol Fenix PD30 (which is an excellent light)?
I don't think there is a big difference.
My PD-30 has some knurling on the body.
The bros site shows a smooth body.
Might just be a change in styles over the years...
If some animals are good at hunting and others are suitable for hunting, then the Gods must clearly smile on hunting.~Aristotle

..there's more fun in hunting with the handicap of the bow than there is in hunting with the sureness of the gun.~ F.Bear

Offline Barry Wensel

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #28 on: November 11, 2010, 05:36:00 AM »
Before I forget, regarding headlamp users, the new Main Beam comes with a little metal clip on the shaft. If you just reverse the clip the light will clip onto the peak/bill of your hat and serve as a headlamp. bw

Offline MikeS

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #29 on: November 11, 2010, 07:57:00 AM »
I love my Main Beam and bought 3 more for my boys for birthday presents.  They give off an incredible amount of light from such a small light!  And, white light is so much easier to see blood at night than the old lights I have owned.
Mike

Offline redant 60/65

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #30 on: November 11, 2010, 08:39:00 AM »
I have the Coleman, around 120 + lumens, led , it takes AA, and is about $30.00. It's also real good on batteries.
Larry

Offline Tom Leemans

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #31 on: November 11, 2010, 09:40:00 AM »
The mainbeam (Fenix PD30 R2) goes hunting with me and is in my pocket at work right now. Best little flashlight ever! Around my house, it's known as the magic flashlight. You will be astounded at it's performance. I actually panic if I misplace it. Make sure to order the battery caddy. I get around 6 months of periodic use out of a set of batteries, but that's with me using it as I work on machines, etc. almost every day. I need to get the headband though...
Got wood? - Tom

Offline Mint

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #32 on: November 11, 2010, 09:50:00 AM »
I love my mainbeam flashlight for following up on hogs in the thickets of old florida. It comforting knowing that the battery is not going to kick out on you suddenly like the surefire and streamlight do.
The Constitution shall never be construed... to prevent the people of the United States who are peaceable citizens from keeping their own arms.

Samuel Adams

NYB Life Member
NRA Life Member

Online Cory Mattson

• Global Moderator
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #33 on: November 11, 2010, 11:22:00 AM »
MAIN BEAM - I second - third - whatever these little dudes - excellent bright white light that is all you need for bloodtrailing. Savings on batterries alone pays for them - Get batterries from the Bros too - best price. I now travel with at leastTWO main beams always - lightweight - takes no room in yoru fanny pack or pockets. I use the red lense entering before pink light to the tree - difuser arranging gear before bloodtrailing - and straight up bright to ge the job done. Love Em!!!
<><
<-------------------<<<<<<
Savannah River Bow Zone - Trad only Bowhunting Clubs and Camps

Offline saltwatertom

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #34 on: November 11, 2010, 02:04:00 PM »
I have not used or even seen a "main beam" but I am sure it is good seeing as they are so highly recomended, but..... my go to flashlight is a head lamp.

An LED lenzer H7, it is the best light I have ever used , VERY bright, adjustabe beam in focus and intensity and the batteries last a LONG time, (3 triple A). I rely on this when I am guiding for brown bear and everything HAS to be good and right.

http://www.batteryjunction.com/led-lenser-h7.html  

:thumbsup:    :thumbsup:    :thumbsup:
"There is always luck about, for those willing to look for it"

Offline Steve O

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #35 on: November 11, 2010, 02:34:00 PM »
I have a headband I  thought I got from Gene (at a very reasonable price if I remember correctly).  The label on it says Nite Ize and it is made in the USA!!!  It fits the Main Beam in it and I can use it as a headlamp.

Fenix, for around $20, also sells a headband that fits all their flashlights.  I will try to put up some pictures later.

You are not going to find a better tool for the job--truly.

Offline Warren Cowen

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #36 on: November 11, 2010, 03:05:00 PM »
If you don't know by now. Its the Main Bean...
Warren Cowen

Offline Apex Predator

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #37 on: November 11, 2010, 03:11:00 PM »
I'm sure the Main Beam is everything folks say it is, but I couldn't swing $70 for a flashlight and didn't like the batteries it uses.  I bought a Coleman "Max" from Wally World.  It uses three AAA batteries, has a long run time with it's LED, and has a 144 lumen output.  I can't imagine needing more. It was only $27.
I didn't claw my way to the top of the food chain to eat vegetables!

Offline Steve O

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #38 on: November 11, 2010, 04:13:00 PM »
Apex--valid points.  The Fenix/MainBeam is built as rugged as a SureFire for 1/2 the cost, that is why I went that way.  I don't like being in the middle of no where without some light and I have confidence in these lights moreso than something I can get at WalMart. I have also tried to standardize all the things I take on my hunting trips to use AA batteries, so that cool H7 headlamp and many others including my MB are out.  

Here are those headbands to allow you to use your MainBeam as a headlamp.  Nite Ize on the left and Fenix on the right.  You can see the Fenix has an extra compartment you can put on the band to hold two AA or 123 batteries.  It is also 360 degree adjustable and has another band to attach to go across the top of your head for support.  Also included is another 360 swivel clamp to put another light on the band so you can have two lights mounted.  One set for close and one set for far.

Offline mparks

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #39 on: November 11, 2010, 09:17:00 PM »
That Fenix PD30 is really amazing.  When my headlamp could barely pick out eyeballs at 100 yards the Fenix showed the whole deer.  When my headlamp reflect off branches 2' from my face the Fenix showed my treestand.  I did a little testing against a good coon hunting LED headlamp and the PD30 and I think I could almost get by with the PD30 if I had too.

I still like a light, cheap headlamp for walking and digging through my pack in the dark with red mode but the PD30 can really light up the woods.  Going to be nice to be able to just start tracking instead of going to the truck to dig up a lantern or coon hunting headlamp.

Kind of like good bows and binocs.  Once you actually use it you're gonna want one.  I'm sure the SureFires are great too but I haven't used one.

Users currently browsing this topic:

Contact Us | Trad Gang.com © | User Agreement

Copyright 2003 thru 2024 ~ Trad Gang.com ©