3Rivers Archery

The Trad Gang Digital Market

Contribute to Trad Gang and Access the Classifieds!

Become a Trad Gang Sponsor!

Traditional Archery for Bowhunters

LEFT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS TRAD GANG CLASSIFIEDS ACCESS RIGHT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS

Author Topic: Tree Seat  (Read 668 times)

Offline bad arrow

• Trad Bowhunter
Tree Seat
« on: November 10, 2010, 08:49:00 PM »
I've always hunted on the ground and been successful (got my first compound bowkill from a treestand though). But I gotta say, once I reached fifty my knees started screaming. I can't stand still and I can't kneel for long so I tried a small folding beachchair for a seat. It puts me too low. Anyone here use a Tree Seat?(the kind 3Rivers sells)It looks exactly what I need. Phil

Offline lpcjon2

• Trad Bowhunter
Re: Tree Seat
« Reply #1 on: November 10, 2010, 08:55:00 PM »
I have a strap on style tree seat thats not bad at all,just dont strap it to a huge tree.You still need the draw room with your string arm.And get some pruning sheers for those low limbs.I also use a tripod style seat that fold  up and I love that.
Some people live an entire lifetime and wonder if they have ever made a
difference in the world, but the Marines don’t have that problem.
—President Ronald Reagan

Offline VTer

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #2 on: November 10, 2010, 09:01:00 PM »
I saw the neatest tree seat while at the Ohio trad hunt. It was a pole with duck feet, top and bottom. The bottom so it wouldn't sink into the ground and the top so it would cradle the tree. It leaned on the tree at a angle and the seat was at an angle too so it would be level when sitting on it. Comfortable and stable. I wish'd I had taken a picture of it.
Schafer Silvertip 66#-"In memory", Green Mountain Longbow 60#, Hill Country Harvest Master TD 59#

"Some of the world's greatest feats were accomplished by people not smart enough to know they were impossible."
    - Doug Lawson.

Offline bad arrow

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #3 on: November 10, 2010, 09:02:00 PM »
Never thought of a folding tripod seat. That'd work. Thanks

Offline Okie man

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #4 on: November 10, 2010, 09:08:00 PM »
VTer, was it the hunters seat?  Here is a link
 http://www.hunterseat.com/
When the moment of truth arrives, the time for preparation has passed

Offline SELFBOW19953

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #5 on: November 10, 2010, 09:09:00 PM »
I was using a Tree Seat like the one from 3 Rivers yesterday.

It's got my endorsement!!!

Phil
SELFBOW19953
USAF Retired (1971-1991)
"Somehow, I feel that arrows made of wood are more in keeping with the spirit of old-time archery and require more of the archer himself than a more modern arrow."  Howard Hill from "Hunting The Hard Way"

Offline VTer

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #6 on: November 10, 2010, 09:10:00 PM »
Okie, that's it! I was trying to find it on-line, thanks.
Schafer Silvertip 66#-"In memory", Green Mountain Longbow 60#, Hill Country Harvest Master TD 59#

"Some of the world's greatest feats were accomplished by people not smart enough to know they were impossible."
    - Doug Lawson.

Offline RAU

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #7 on: November 10, 2010, 10:07:00 PM »
Cant beat the price on this one!

http://bowyersedge.com/treeseat.html

Offline ron w

• Contributing Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #8 on: November 10, 2010, 10:15:00 PM »
The tree seat that is on  Torges web site is cheap and works well. You can make it as big or as small as you like. I made one thats folds so it would fit in a pack. You can add a pad or modify it to your needs. Cost......a few dollars at most!
In the beginner's mind there are many possibilities. In the expert's there are few...So the most difficult thing is always to keep your beginner's mind...This is also the real secret of the arts: always be a beginner.  Shunryu Suzuki

Offline ron w

• Contributing Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #9 on: November 10, 2010, 10:17:00 PM »
I forgot, you can also google the Hunters Smart Seat..........it works well also and it's made in Vermont!
In the beginner's mind there are many possibilities. In the expert's there are few...So the most difficult thing is always to keep your beginner's mind...This is also the real secret of the arts: always be a beginner.  Shunryu Suzuki

Online Stumpkiller

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #10 on: November 10, 2010, 10:47:00 PM »
I have one based on Torge's version.  I changed the knot system.  It's a great hunting tool.

no images wider than 640, please

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v169/Stumpkiller/Accoutrements/HPIM1070.jpg[/IMG]
Charlie P. }}===]> A.B.C.C.

Bear Kodiak & K. Hunter, D. Palmer Hunter, Ben Pearson Hunter, Wing Presentation II & 4 Red Wing Hunters (LH & 3 RH), Browning Explorer, Cobra II & Wasp, Martin/Howatt Dream Catcher, Root Warrior, Shakespeare Necedah.

Offline 30coupe

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #11 on: November 10, 2010, 10:52:00 PM »
Originally posted by Stumpkiller:
I have one based on Torge's version.  I changed the knot system.  It's a great hunting tool.

What are the dimensions of your seat? Did you use plywood?

Thanks.
Kanati 58" 44# @ 28" Green glass on a green riser
Bear Kodiak Magnum 52" 45# @ 28"
Bodnik Slick Stick longbow 58" 40# @ 28"
Bodnik Kiowa 52" 45# @ 28"
Kanati 58" 46# @ 28" R.I.P (2007-2015)
Self-made Silk backed Hickory Board bow 67" 49# @ 28"
Bear Black Bear 60" 45# @28"
NRA Life Member

Offline lpcjon2

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #12 on: November 10, 2010, 10:53:00 PM »
Try and Google marsh seats. I use to make these when I was a duck hunter they are a T style seat that is easy to make and pretty comfortable.I can walk you through how to make one if you want.
Some people live an entire lifetime and wonder if they have ever made a
difference in the world, but the Marines don’t have that problem.
—President Ronald Reagan

Offline 30coupe

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #13 on: November 10, 2010, 10:56:00 PM »
Oops! I guess I didn't scroll down far enough.   :knothead:
Kanati 58" 44# @ 28" Green glass on a green riser
Bear Kodiak Magnum 52" 45# @ 28"
Bodnik Slick Stick longbow 58" 40# @ 28"
Bodnik Kiowa 52" 45# @ 28"
Kanati 58" 46# @ 28" R.I.P (2007-2015)
Self-made Silk backed Hickory Board bow 67" 49# @ 28"
Bear Black Bear 60" 45# @28"
NRA Life Member

Offline bad arrow

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #14 on: November 10, 2010, 11:03:00 PM »
It looks to me like the Torge's system would have the seat fold forward and down on you as you put weight on it. Thats wh I havent attempted it before, obviously not huh? Is it because the rope is tied toward the center of the seat? Phil

Online Stumpkiller

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #15 on: November 10, 2010, 11:13:00 PM »
Mine is 1/2" outdoor ply.  In use I toss the line around a tree while holding the seet up against the trunk with my knee.  I pull the line on the back of the tree up a foot or so above where I want the seat level to be.  If you tension it so it is at about a 30° up angle with you off it it will be about level with you on it.  The attachment angle of the line leverages it tight as the seat angles down.  I got fancy and added split high-pressure steam line as added grip and to protect the wood.

And, as a tip, set it high enough so your knees are not above your hips.  If they are you have to lean forward to stand up (too much movement).

DO NOT use it as an elevated seat.  If it slips or you didn't get it tight it will tip you off.  And if you stood on it and put your weight at or behind the rope pivot it would collapse.

please, no references to firearms.

Charlie P. }}===]> A.B.C.C.

Bear Kodiak & K. Hunter, D. Palmer Hunter, Ben Pearson Hunter, Wing Presentation II & 4 Red Wing Hunters (LH & 3 RH), Browning Explorer, Cobra II & Wasp, Martin/Howatt Dream Catcher, Root Warrior, Shakespeare Necedah.

Offline String Cutter

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #16 on: November 11, 2010, 01:23:00 AM »
I use the Torge seat.and nothing else. I missed around with it for about a week and made me 2 of them... they are perfect for me in every way.
Fatherhood is the greatest adventure a man can ever take.

Offline BrianH

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #17 on: November 11, 2010, 02:21:00 AM »
Another vote here for the Torges seat.  Super light, super quiet, super simple and cheap too. I glued a thin foam seat pad on mine for a little additional comfort.

Offline bad arrow

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #18 on: November 11, 2010, 08:52:00 AM »
I've got plywood, rope and the tools so it looks like I'll start making a Torges seat tonight! Thanks everyone for the photos, diagrams and advice. Ya'll just saved me $50- Phil

Offline ron w

• Contributing Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #19 on: November 11, 2010, 02:03:00 PM »
The good thing about make'n your own is you can modify or change it to your needs. Wider, lighter, camo, padded, folding or what ever you can come up with. I made one ,then another, next thing I was giving them away and improving the design and then giving them away. I think you will be pleased!

Users currently browsing this topic:

Contact Us | Trad Gang.com © | User Agreement

Copyright 2003 thru 2024 ~ Trad Gang.com ©