3Rivers Archery

The Trad Gang Digital Market

Contribute to Trad Gang and Access the Classifieds!

Become a Trad Gang Sponsor!

Traditional Archery for Bowhunters

LEFT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS TRAD GANG CLASSIFIEDS ACCESS RIGHT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS

Author Topic: How often do you wass hunting clothes  (Read 385 times)

Online Jock Whisky

• Trad Bowhunter
How often do you wass hunting clothes
« on: November 10, 2010, 11:12:00 PM »
Out of curiosity how often do you wash your hunting clothes. I usually work up a bit of a sweat going to and from my stand and a lot of sweat if I'm stillhunting in the high country.

Once I'm home I air out shirts, pants and long underwear but don't wash them unless I've been on several outings.

How about the rest of you.

JW
Old doesn't start until you hit three figures...and then it's negotiable

Offline lpcjon2

• Trad Bowhunter
Re: How often do you wass hunting clothes
« Reply #1 on: November 10, 2010, 11:25:00 PM »
My outer garment almost never get washed,My inner pants and shirt and such get washed after every trip out.I go to Old Navy and buy cheap stuff(cargo pants and L/S t-shirts) off the clearance rack for like 8-10 bucks.Other inner clothes through the years I have accumulated a few extra sets. I change my stuff daily. I wash my stuff with a no dye or scent laundry detergent from any super market and I add Baking soda. Then they dry a little and hang  outside over night then into a bag of leaves.
Some people live an entire lifetime and wonder if they have ever made a
difference in the world, but the Marines don’t have that problem.
—President Ronald Reagan

Online Stumpkiller

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #2 on: November 10, 2010, 11:27:00 PM »
Isn't that bad luck?  Like cleaning a coffee pot.
Charlie P. }}===]> A.B.C.C.

Bear Kodiak & K. Hunter, D. Palmer Hunter, Ben Pearson Hunter, Wing Presentation II & 4 Red Wing Hunters (LH & 3 RH), Browning Explorer, Cobra II & Wasp, Martin/Howatt Dream Catcher, Root Warrior, Shakespeare Necedah.

Offline glennbow

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #3 on: November 10, 2010, 11:28:00 PM »
I wash my camouflage outer layers roughly every 2 to 4 hunts, depending on the weather.  Base layers get washed after every hunt.  I keep all the washed clothes vacuum sealed in space bags and don't put them on until I get out of my truck at the farm.
"Let him go so he can grow"

Online stagetek

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #4 on: November 11, 2010, 08:56:00 AM »
I wash my top layer of camo about twice a season, in cold water and wash inside out. (I was told that reduces fading). The clothes I wear underneath the camo are washed after every trip. Long underwear and wool socks are handwashed, and air dried. I keep "everything" in sealed bags.

Offline KentuckyTJ

• SPONSOR
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #5 on: November 11, 2010, 10:15:00 AM »
I hand wash them in my basement wash basin with no scent detergent and baking soda mix. This avoids the washing machine with its scented detergents. Hang them outside to dry. Once dry they go right in a sealed Rubbermaid tub.
www.zipperbows.com
The fulfillment of your hunt is determined by the amount of effort you put into it  >>>---->

Offline Red Tailed Hawk

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #6 on: November 11, 2010, 10:28:00 AM »
Very seldom
I'm drinking from a saucer 'cause my cup has overflowed

Offline stevewills

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #7 on: November 11, 2010, 12:20:00 PM »
not until they are too bloody to hunt in
i like biscuits

Offline Kenneth

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #8 on: November 11, 2010, 12:52:00 PM »
I wash mine in scent free detergent and baking soda about every 2 outings when its warmer out and about every 4 to 5 outings when it's cooler.  I store them in air tight containers with the little filtered boxes of baking soda that you use in the fridge.  I also use those boxes inside my truck before and during the season.
Chasing my kids and my degree for now but come next fall the critters better look out.  ;)

Offline Thumper Dunker

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #9 on: November 11, 2010, 01:03:00 PM »
I don't  The wife does. Im out here in nazifornia you know the place with no winters.Most of my hunting is in a camo t shirt and camo jeans.Might put on my camo coat if it ever rains.Coat get washed some times every thing els after every hunt. they just go in with the my work stuff.Its not the color that they spot its the movement and you can't hide your scent.play the wind and don't move.
You can hop but you can't hide.
If it was not for rabbits I would never get a buck.
Yip yipahooooo yipyipyip.

Offline SEMO_HUNTER

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #10 on: November 11, 2010, 01:57:00 PM »
I wash mine in plain baking soda after every long weekend hunt. I change into new camo every day or every other day depending on how much walking I do and the temp outside. My zip up hooded camo sweatshirts and jackets get washed about every other trip and in between washings I spray them down with scent killing spray and hang outside to air out. All of it goes into a rubbermaid tub w/lid and either some scent wafers or something I'm trying different now is cedar bows cut from a fresh green cedar tree and placed in a pillow case with the top tied shut. Then I put it in the bottom of my tub and lay the clothes on top, then seal the lid shut.
It's a natural scent around here cause there are lots of cedar trees all around where I hunt.
This is what the old timers like my dad and uncles did way back before they had scent wafers, it works and it's free.
~Varitas Vos Liberabit~ John 8:32

Offline Hoyt

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #11 on: November 11, 2010, 01:59:00 PM »
You supposed to wash them?

Offline Don Stokes

• Tradbowhunter
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #12 on: November 11, 2010, 04:29:00 PM »
Every 2 to 4 years, or when I get them bloody, whichever comes first.
Those who would give up essential liberty to purchase a little temporary safety deserve neither liberty nor safety.- Ben Franklin

Offline Kapellmeister

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #13 on: November 11, 2010, 04:44:00 PM »
Generally, I just hang wool outerwear to air out and spot clean it.  Any long underwear (wool, silk, polypro,) and socks get washed on gentle with scent-free detergent and hung out to dry.
Gene

~ s.D.g. ~

68" Osage Orange Selfbow 55@28
68" Hill Half-Breed 55@28
64" Schafer Silvertip 1pc Longbow 50@28
58" Shrew Classic Hunter 49@28

Offline Ray Hammond

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #14 on: November 11, 2010, 05:00:00 PM »
every time. Stored in baking soda.
“Courageous, untroubled, mocking and violent-that is what Wisdom wants us to be. Wisdom is a woman, and loves only a warrior.” - Friedrich Nietzsche

Offline PEARL DRUMS

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #15 on: November 11, 2010, 07:11:00 PM »
Never have. Mine have never had a roof over them since they left the store's. I dont feild dress, or track in them either, so they stay clean and "stink free" as can be. I used to wash mine back in the day, but it just kills the garments color and durability.

Offline beetlebailey1977

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #16 on: November 11, 2010, 07:39:00 PM »
I wash them after every hunt and store them in big ziploc bags.
Bowhunters of South Carolina Executive Council Member.

James V. Bailey II

Offline joe skipp

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #17 on: November 11, 2010, 07:45:00 PM »
Never....
"Neal...is this heaven?" "No Piute but we are dam close". Top of the Mtn in Medicine Bow Nat Forest.

Offline BRONZ

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #18 on: November 11, 2010, 11:26:00 PM »
I tend to wear them once, toss them on the floor of my hunting room and when I have a good pile, into the wash they go with Earth Scent detergent, dryer sheets, and waffers in the storage tub.  I will also take a glove and crush up some cedar; then the glove goes in the tub.
"He trains my hands for battle; my arms can bend a bow of bronze."
2 Samuel 22:35

Wheatland Christian Bowhunters--Chairman

« Reply #19 on: November 12, 2010, 01:45:00 AM »
People smell my hat and wonder when the circus is going to begin. My wife washed my Filsen packer a couple of years ago, it took me a month to find it back.  The last place I thought I would ever find it was mixed in the drawer with the clean stuff.  It was shrunk, either it finally came back to shape or my head has shrunk to fit my hat. Filsen coats, shirts and wool pants once a season, longjohns and anything washable twice a week.

Users currently browsing this topic:

Contact Us | Trad Gang.com © | User Agreement

Copyright 2003 thru 2024 ~ Trad Gang.com ©