3Rivers Archery

The Trad Gang Digital Market

Contribute to Trad Gang and Access the Classifieds!

Become a Trad Gang Sponsor!

Traditional Archery for Bowhunters

LEFT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS TRAD GANG CLASSIFIEDS ACCESS RIGHT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS

Author Topic: Dermistid beetles  (Read 362 times)

Offline lpcjon2

• Trad Bowhunter
Re: Dermistid beetles
« Reply #20 on: November 11, 2010, 08:32:00 PM »
That was me, and my experience with beetles is with human flesh. I was always informed that they will not eat wet flesh(we have to clean off all the skin and muscle), Maybe that is just human flesh. I stand corrected.
Some people live an entire lifetime and wonder if they have ever made a
difference in the world, but the Marines don’t have that problem.
—President Ronald Reagan

Offline SEMO_HUNTER

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #21 on: November 11, 2010, 08:44:00 PM »
Originally posted by lpcjon2:
Chris wont a little Borax in the boiling water keep it from drying out and getting brittle?
Not sure on that one? I use Borax for lots of things but never used it to boil skulls. It's a great drying agent and I have used it on Turkey fan mounts and coyote tails to dry the oils in the hide for preserving. It's such a versatile substance, I'm sure there are a bunch more uses for Borax than what I know about.
I collect cow skulls and I just let nature do it's thing before I bring them home. About one full summer from carcass to clean and white is about right.

The Euro mounts that I've done where I boiled the skull have all gotten very brittle, so the next one is going to be by the maceration process. I don't care if the teeth fall out or not.
~Varitas Vos Liberabit~ John 8:32

Offline bama

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #22 on: November 15, 2010, 11:42:00 AM »
I've done several skulls by different methods with good results but none of them compare to ones done by professional working with beetles.

Offline ApplePie

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #23 on: November 29, 2010, 10:25:00 PM »
My vote goes to the beetles.  I just dropped off the rack from this year's buck to the taxidermist, because I was so impressed last time.  He ships all his clients' skulls together at the end of the season to a pro beetle guy (to cut down on costs).  Takes a while, but worth it.  Bone is whiter+stronger, nasal cavity perfect, and teeth don't loosen in the process...
"One day I slipped my arm into the sleeve of my jacket and my father's hand came out the other side."  -- from The New Father, by A. Brott

Offline SEMO_HUNTER

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #24 on: November 29, 2010, 11:40:00 PM »
I just finished cleaning this skull by the methods in the link I provided in the earlier post above. Judge for yourself, but it didn't cost me anything, and I did it in less than 2 days.

~Varitas Vos Liberabit~ John 8:32

Offline Skipmaster1

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #25 on: November 29, 2010, 11:47:00 PM »
I have done dozens of skulls by boiling and whitening them and they come out good, but I have had 5 of them done by a local guy with beetles in the past few years and they come out WAY better. They look like porcelin and they are not nearly as brittle.  He gets under $100 I believe.

Users currently browsing this topic:

Contact Us | Trad Gang.com © | User Agreement

Copyright 2003 thru 2024 ~ Trad Gang.com ©