3Rivers Archery

The Trad Gang Digital Market

Contribute to Trad Gang and Access the Classifieds!

Become a Trad Gang Sponsor!

Traditional Archery for Bowhunters

LEFT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS TRAD GANG CLASSIFIEDS ACCESS RIGHT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS

Author Topic: 1970s era Bear Bow setups  (Read 330 times)

Offline Bob Moran

• Trad Bowhunter
1970s era Bear Bow setups
« on: November 11, 2010, 07:18:00 PM »
I'm a newby and have acquired three older Bear bows: a Kodiak Magnum 50#, Kodiak Hunter 45#, and a Grizzly 50#.  I have some questions for you old pros:
Is there a recommended brace height for these bows or do I just experiment?
The Kodiak Hunter is rather noisy.  It has a new dacron string, beaver balls, brace height is 7 1/4".  I'm shooting Easton 1916s with 125 gm field points.  Any suggestions on what to do to make it quieter?
In the Masters of the Bare Bow, it is suggested that hunting arrows should be about 9-10gm/lb of bow weight.  My Grizzly is shooting Easton XX75 2016 (500) with 125 gm points and they weight about 380 gm.  How do I get up to 450 or 500gms??? Won't just changing to heavier points alter the flight characteristics?
Thanks in advance for your insights.
ChiefBob
May your friends be as many as the promises you keep.

Offline jrbows

• Trad Bowhunter
Re: 1970s era Bear Bow setups
« Reply #1 on: November 11, 2010, 07:34:00 PM »
Asked a question about brace height a while back on a Kodiak hunter and was told 7 3/4-8 1/4 which is where I immediately went,seems to prefer 7 3/4-8 never really noticed mine being too noisy and it also has beaver silencers but I shoot cedar,also I have the factory type strike plate and shelf rug,hope this was helpful.
SAVE A STUMP SHOOT A DEER

Offline elbow

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #2 on: November 11, 2010, 07:41:00 PM »
I shoot my 45 Kodiak hunter with full length 2016s b ear razorheaDs and 8.5 inch brace really quiet

Offline razorback

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #3 on: November 11, 2010, 07:44:00 PM »
If you get the arrow weight up, you will probably reduce the noise. Increasing the weight will also change the flight dynamics, whether you change the spine or not. You will have to experiment with the weight of the tip, length of arrow and added weight. You can add weight in several ways. one I have heard of is to get a piece of rope the diameter of the arrow and put it inside the arrow. have also heard of people using edger cord, though I think that can be noisy.
Hopefully someone with more experience than me will chime in.
Keep the wind in your face and the sun at your back.

Offline reddogge

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #4 on: November 11, 2010, 07:46:00 PM »
Are you measuring grains or grams?  I just weighed one of my 2016 with 125 gr. point and it weighed 477 grains.  I weigh on a powder scale so it's accurate.
Traditional Bowhunters of Maryland
Heart of Maryland Bowhunters
NRA
Mayberry Archers

Offline razorback

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #5 on: November 11, 2010, 07:48:00 PM »
Check out Stu Millers arrow spine calculator. Follow the directions and see what it comes up with. If you have questions about it, just ask them here and someone will help. Also use the search feature on this site. Lots of threads that have answered similar questions.

http://www.heilakka.com/stumiller/
Keep the wind in your face and the sun at your back.

Offline Bob Moran

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #6 on: November 11, 2010, 07:55:00 PM »
reddogge,
Ouch!  I'm so used to grams that I just assumed that was the units being referred to.  If it should be grains/lb of bow weight, then it sounds like I'm OK.  Thanks!

jrbows and elbow,
sounds like I need to put some more twists on the string!  I'll start at 7 1/2 and see how that goes.  Thanks!
May your friends be as many as the promises you keep.

Offline ishoot4thrills

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #7 on: November 11, 2010, 08:00:00 PM »
First of all, welcome, my KY brother, to the site. Lots and lots of great people here willing to help.

I can't help you with the brace heights on those bows, but I can tell ya that you need to be weighing your arrow stuff in grains, not grams, for better comparison. Or, be able to convert grams to grains. I would have thought that the 2016 with 125 gr. points would be heavier than 380 gr.   :confused:   Yes, just adding weight to the tip will change arrow spine. Also, changing the length of the arrow will change the spine. Maybe try the method that was mentioned about putting rope inside the arrow to add more weight.
58" JK Traditions Kanati Longbow
Ten Strand D10 String
Kanati Bow Quiver
35/55 Gold Tip Pink Nugents @ 30"
3 X 5" Feathers
19.9% FOC
49# @ 26.75"
165 FPS @ 10.4 GPP (510 gr. hunting arrow)
171 FPS @ 9.7 GPP (475 gr. 3D arrow)
3 Fingers Under

Users currently browsing this topic:

Contact Us | Trad Gang.com © | User Agreement

Copyright 2003 thru 2024 ~ Trad Gang.com ©