3Rivers Archery

The Trad Gang Digital Market

Contribute to Trad Gang and Access the Classifieds!

Become a Trad Gang Sponsor!

Traditional Archery for Bowhunters

LEFT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS TRAD GANG CLASSIFIEDS ACCESS RIGHT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS

Author Topic: Holding out is HARD!  (Read 549 times)

Offline centaur

• Trad Bowhunter
Holding out is HARD!
« on: November 12, 2010, 07:11:00 AM »
The place I'm hunting whitetails is loaded with deer, but the friend who got me on the place and I made a pact to let bucks pass this year unless they are monsters or 'over the hill'. The place has the potential for real trophies, and I am fortunate to have been invited on, but things are getting frustrating. I have had several bucks in range, but nothing that fits our shooting criteria. Here's a picture of a buck that was willing to take an arrow yesterday if I had done it, but I passed.

I hope that our efforts and will power hold out, and in a couple of years we may have some real hogs. Is anybody else gritting their teeth and not shooting smaller bucks in order to have bigger bucks in the future?  We will be killing some does for the freezer, so we won't go hungry.
If you don't like cops, next time you need help, call Al Sharpton

Offline KentuckyTJ

• SPONSOR
  • Trad Bowhunter
Re: Holding out is HARD!
« Reply #1 on: November 12, 2010, 07:17:00 AM »
Stings some at first, but just give it two to three years Pat and you will be amazed. Sending you a pm.

TJ
www.zipperbows.com
The fulfillment of your hunt is determined by the amount of effort you put into it  >>>---->

Offline T Folts

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #2 on: November 12, 2010, 07:24:00 AM »
It's hard but will pay off. I have a place I used to hunt and the guy only wanted bucks shot, didnt matter the size, his theory was that if you left the does they would draw more bucks and enough of the adjacent property owners kill enough does. So here is what he has for his efforts, small bucks and a ocassional nice mature deer that usually get taken in the late December muzzle loading hunt. let -em grow
US ARMY 1984-1988

Offline wapiti792

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #3 on: November 12, 2010, 09:09:00 AM »
I am holding out too...tell you the truth though I am gonna shoot a 4.5 year old deer if I get the chance. I am hunting with MS Hope and have 2 buck tags. I had an honest 170 inch deer at 25 yards the other night, and he never gave me a shot   :banghead:  This did something to me. Some guys never see a deer that big, I had one in shooting range and never launched...so the odds are not good it will happen again, and on my 160 acre farm, a 150 inch 4.5 year old is good enough for me I think. Good luck holding out. I have a few days off and the first good deer I get in front of me I am killing  ;)
Mike Davenport

Offline Gerardo

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #4 on: November 12, 2010, 09:28:00 AM »
I am in the same situation, it really gets frustrating as you shoot more with your camera than your bow, the place we hunt had never been hunted and there are very big bucks but we have to kill 5.5 or 6.5 age bucks , I really think it's worth it hopefully we will get  a good one , good luck to you!!!
Gerardo Rodriguez

Offline bad arrow

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #5 on: November 12, 2010, 10:04:00 AM »
Since Blue Tongue nearly wiped out our deer a couple years back, the hunters I've talked to this year are all saying "no does". The deer are making a comeback and I was looking forward to my first traditional kill, doe or buck. I'll probably hold off, but I guess we'll see what I'm made of if and when the opportunity arrives. Phil  :confused:

Offline YORNOC

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #6 on: November 12, 2010, 01:59:00 PM »
I'll be PROUD to take any deer this season, never mind anything of that magnitude. Slim pickings over here this year,not sure whats up. LOT of land loss to building?
Good luck, can't wait to see the whopper you nail!!!!!!!
David M. Conroy

Offline stevewills

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #7 on: November 12, 2010, 02:55:00 PM »
ya ive passed on 22 smaller bucks so far and passed on a good 140 6 pointer just to see what could come by next....somethings gonna pay the price this weekend....freezer full of does so its time to let one loose on one....
i like biscuits

Offline Huntschool

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #8 on: November 12, 2010, 03:47:00 PM »
Just hold on.  I had a plus 160 at 12 yards Sunday and held off due to a doe looking at me.  Look at my avatar.  Waited 2 years to get him.  It was worth it.

If you have control of a reasonable sized chunk of ground.. let em grow.  You will be happy ya did. You will need to start killin does though.
Bruce A. Hering
Program Coordinator (retired)
Southeastern Illinois College
NSCA Level III Instructor
Black Widow Bows
AMM 761

Offline reddogge

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #9 on: November 12, 2010, 05:47:00 PM »
It's sort of fun holding out for a nice buck like I'm doing this season.  Problem is I saw him and can't get him out of my mind.  I'm enjoying "counting coup" on the does and other deer that I have had bona fide shots at but didn't take.
Traditional Bowhunters of Maryland
Heart of Maryland Bowhunters
NRA
Mayberry Archers

Online snag

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #10 on: November 12, 2010, 05:54:00 PM »
You can always cull the ones this year that are not genetically superior....? That way you can kill a buck this year and still keep the ultimate goal in place.
Isaiah 49:2...he made me a polished arrow and concealed me in his quiver.

Offline swamper

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #11 on: November 12, 2010, 05:55:00 PM »
been holding since september

Offline arrowslinger22

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #12 on: November 12, 2010, 06:44:00 PM »
Just finished a 3 day hunt in a county park.  I passed on the same buck each day because I had decided to only take a doe.  Never even saw a doe, go figure.  Usually it's the other way around.
Only when the last tree has died
and the last river been poisoned
and the last fish been caught
will we realize that we cannot eat money

Offline Cyclic-Rivers

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #13 on: November 12, 2010, 06:54:00 PM »
Jealousy is a tough thing to swallow   :readit:
Relax,

You'll live longer!

Charlie Janssen

PBS Associate Member
Wisconsin Traditional Archers

>~TGMM~> <~Family~Of~The~Bow~<

Offline leatherneck

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #14 on: November 12, 2010, 07:04:00 PM »
Oh yea, it is. But the outcome you will enjoy for years to come.
“I can accept failure, everyone fails at something. But I can’t accept not trying"

Proud shareholder of MK,LLC

Offline LeverActionman

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #15 on: November 12, 2010, 10:04:00 PM »
We never seen any big deer for years and since we started holding out on smaller bucks there has been 5 nice deer in 2 years.1 big six that I shot because someone on the property next to ours shot in the leg with a bow.2 nine points,2 eight points.You have to let the little ones walk even if your neighbors shoot them.If you shoot them they will never get bigger and they might let them walk never can tell.

Offline lpcjon2

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #16 on: November 12, 2010, 10:09:00 PM »
"Over The Hill" is in the eye of the beholder.
Some people live an entire lifetime and wonder if they have ever made a
difference in the world, but the Marines don’t have that problem.
—President Ronald Reagan

Offline ron w

• Contributing Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #17 on: November 12, 2010, 10:28:00 PM »
I'm holding out also.....for a brown one!
In the beginner's mind there are many possibilities. In the expert's there are few...So the most difficult thing is always to keep your beginner's mind...This is also the real secret of the arts: always be a beginner.  Shunryu Suzuki

Offline Altiman94

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #18 on: November 12, 2010, 10:48:00 PM »
I'm hunting public ground (first the first time in a couple years due to a move) and haven't had the luxary to be able to pass on bucks.  Only have seen one small 6 pt and several does yet.  If I get a nice buck in range, there's no passing for this guy!
>>>--------->

Offline Earl Jeff

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #19 on: November 13, 2010, 07:59:00 AM »
Holding out is HARD

That's why I can do it  :laughing:

Users currently browsing this topic:

Contact Us | Trad Gang.com © | User Agreement

Copyright 2003 thru 2024 ~ Trad Gang.com ©