3Rivers Archery

The Trad Gang Digital Market

Contribute to Trad Gang and Access the Classifieds!

Become a Trad Gang Sponsor!

Traditional Archery for Bowhunters

LEFT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS TRAD GANG CLASSIFIEDS ACCESS RIGHT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS

Author Topic: About time for frogin'  (Read 737 times)

Offline 2Blade

• Trad Bowhunter
Re: About time for frogin'
« Reply #20 on: May 29, 2007, 10:49:00 PM »
I would love to shoot frogs but I dont think id eat one of them things. One kind of points do you guys use? Are wood arrows a good choice?
The Stuttering Bowhunter

Offline Bowspirit

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #21 on: May 29, 2007, 11:41:00 PM »
2Blade, why not. They make for fine cuisine...
Any arrow material is fine so long as you know that they're gonna get wet and covered in all sorts of muck. Everyone seems to have they're favored points, but I like plain old Judo's and rubber blunts, with the rubber blunts being prefered...
“I read somewhere of how important it is in life, not necessarily to be strong, but to feel strong. To measure yourself at least once.”
                -Alexander Supertramp

"Shoot this for me."
                -Chuck Nelson

Offline the Ferret

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #22 on: May 30, 2007, 07:04:00 AM »
Nick, you just eat the rear legs (at least that's all we eat). You take a couple of big bullfrog legs and clip off the feet, skin them, rinse them off, dip them in milk, then roll them in flour with seasonings, and cook them in a cast iron skillet with hot oil. Then eat.... it's a lot like fried chicken.
There is always someone that knows more than you, and someone that knows less than you, so you can always learn and you can always teach

Offline Littlefeather

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #23 on: May 30, 2007, 07:16:00 AM »
Nick, trust me, if Micky will eat them they're very safe and very edible.  :goldtooth:  

Just had to pick on Mick before I headed out.   :D  CK

Offline JC

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #24 on: May 30, 2007, 07:52:00 AM »
All this talk of froggin has got my belly rumblin! 2Blade, taken care of correctly (kept chilled) and cooked right, they are some of the finest eatin to be had. We've shot up a few and eaten them at Texas Sweat II and III (no frog's at this year's spot). Quite a few fellers there have never had the pleasure of samplin frog...the plates emptied pretty quick after the first taste.

I like to use a hex head, just enough penetration to pin em down till you can get to em and still enough cutting/shock to often shut em down on the spot. Broadheads beat up a bit too much to shoot at big game are perfect for frogs too.
"Being there was good enough..." Charlie Lamb reflecting on a hunt
TGMM Brotherhood of the Bow

Offline 2Blade

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #25 on: May 30, 2007, 08:39:00 AM »
I take it with a rubber blunt any hit in the body would kill them since they are such a small animal?
The Stuttering Bowhunter

Offline vermonster13

• TGMM Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #26 on: May 30, 2007, 08:40:00 AM »
Pinning them to the bank is much better and cuts down on lost arrows.
TGMM Family of the Bow
For hunting to have a future, we must invest ourselves in future hunters.

Offline JC

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #27 on: May 30, 2007, 09:03:00 AM »
Nick, nope, they are tough critters to stop. You definately want some sort of penetration to slow em down. I've seen frogs with the brainpan gone jump right into the water never to be seen again. Every now and then you'll shut one down with a shot that severs the spine but that's certainly not the norm.

Don't lay a "dead" one down on the bank or bottow of the boat too soon either...it'll probably make it's way back to the water.
"Being there was good enough..." Charlie Lamb reflecting on a hunt
TGMM Brotherhood of the Bow

Offline ejes

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #28 on: May 30, 2007, 09:31:00 AM »
Here in KS we can only use a bow if they are set up with the same rig that's legal for bowfishing; an arrow with a barbed head attached to a line.  The average bowfishing head can tear them up pretty bad, so I have a couple arrows rigged with a small gigging head from Sully's.

The kids an I have a ball.  They like to gig and I like to shoot at them.  Very tastey!  Folks who've never tried them, and ususally don't intend to, always ask me if they really taste like chicken.  I always tell them no; they taste like chicken SHOULD taste!  They don't know what they're missing.

Offline 2Blade

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #29 on: May 30, 2007, 01:31:00 PM »
Thanks JC
The Stuttering Bowhunter

Offline TRADITIONAL ONLY

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #30 on: May 31, 2007, 11:37:00 AM »
Chris has talked me into shootin them with the ol bow this year, this aint ginna be good i can already tell ya..

i still cant believe yall have a SEASON for FROGS! that dont even make sense...
If its brown its down; thats my motto.

"The great questions of the day are decided... by blood and iron"  Otto von Bismark

Offline Bowspirit

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #31 on: May 31, 2007, 12:53:00 PM »
Yeah, man, but I keep telling you...them frog's legs are to die for Trad Only...
“I read somewhere of how important it is in life, not necessarily to be strong, but to feel strong. To measure yourself at least once.”
                -Alexander Supertramp

"Shoot this for me."
                -Chuck Nelson

Users currently browsing this topic:

Contact Us | Trad Gang.com © | User Agreement

Copyright 2003 thru 2024 ~ Trad Gang.com ©