3Rivers Archery

The Trad Gang Digital Market

Contribute to Trad Gang and Access the Classifieds!

Become a Trad Gang Sponsor!

Traditional Archery for Bowhunters

LEFT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS TRAD GANG CLASSIFIEDS ACCESS RIGHT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS

Author Topic: Bear razor heads  (Read 835 times)

Offline hvac tech

• Trad Bowhunter
Re: Bear razor heads
« Reply #20 on: November 13, 2010, 09:35:00 PM »
i have used them both ways with good success .i remember in one of fred bears video he said that the bleeder was added to help releive skin tension when the animal was he with a broadhead .he said the skin was tight over the body .

Offline damascusdave

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #21 on: November 13, 2010, 09:44:00 PM »
Originally posted by Cottonwood:
I have 6 unused Bear Razorheads, and the reason I don't use them is they are attached to my original Bear Archery Farbenglass arrows.  The other 6 arrows have original field tips glued on them.
Do they look like this?
I set out a while ago to reduce my herd of 40 bows...And I am finally down to 42

Offline hvac tech

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #22 on: November 13, 2010, 10:00:00 PM »
i have used these head both ways with success. in one of fred bears videos he explained how the bleeder helps to releive skin tension on an animal.
that is why he said use them .as an animal skin is stretched tight over it vitals .

Offline monkeyball

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #23 on: November 13, 2010, 10:11:00 PM »
Somebody check on Joe,I think he fell asleep with his finger on the add reply key>>>>>>

Offline Kip l Hoffman

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #24 on: November 13, 2010, 10:29:00 PM »
I don't use them and i am out of bear razor heads.  When i had them i didn't like them.  Don't care what Fred said, i had the little bleeder blades twist funny when they hit bone.  Also i was never able to get them shaving sharp.  Just in case you ever wondered, it takes a rockwell hardness of 55 to be considered "razor" hard steel.  Every bear Razor head i ever tested was 52-53.  And i tested a bunch of them.  However having said that i never had a complaint with old green Bear Razor heads.  I have never reused a broad head.  i keep the arrow as a suvenoir.  Pardon the spelling.

Offline kill shot

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #25 on: November 13, 2010, 11:18:00 PM »
If you can file the head, it's not hard steel. Leave the burr on it. Kip knows what he's talkin about. I never had any trouble with the bear razor head. But I leave the burr on it. (I might have mentioned that.)

Offline Hill Hunter

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #26 on: November 14, 2010, 08:29:00 AM »
I use the bleeders, I also hone and strop the heads,(no burr) they shave like a scalpel. I have only shot a bear with them so far, it did not slow down until it was sticking in the ground on the other side.
Ps 8:3 ¶ When I consider thy heavens, the work of thy fingers, the moon and the stars, which thou hast ordained;
 4 What is man, that thou art mindful of him? and the son of man, that thou visitest him?

Offline knobby

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #27 on: November 14, 2010, 01:05:00 PM »
For deer-sized game and smaller, I use the inserts. If I ever chase elk again, the insert won't be used.

Offline hvac tech

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #28 on: November 16, 2010, 11:13:00 PM »
if you can file the heads does not mean they are not hard . a lot of it depends on how they are drawn back from there original hardness . now i have checked a lot of heads on a rockwell  C  scale and have foud thre bear to be a lot softer than say a zwickey or  magnus  i think they were drawn back so they were  easily  sharpened . i foud  the brinell scale to be more accurate than the rockwell the bear razorhead is not the as tough as the zwickey etc if you try to file a peice of tool steel in the low 50 s your file will be worn out very quickly .do not forget hardness and toughness are both needed in a head not just hard to hold an edge

Offline sweeney3

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #29 on: November 17, 2010, 08:26:00 AM »
I don't know a Rockwell from a water well, but I know that I can put a good, sharp edge on my old Bear heads and that they have killed every animal I have shot with them.  I'll keep using them untill I can't get them any more.  I typically do use the bleeder blades, but I wouldn't have any trouble not using them.  Mainly, it helps me match the weight just right, but I dunno how much they help or hinder cutting.  On these Arkansas deer, I haven't had an arrow fail to pass all the way through yet.  Several critters.  I've not tried any large large game such as bear or moose or anything like that, but they are fine for here.
Silence is golden.

Offline d. ward

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #30 on: November 17, 2010, 08:53:00 AM »
...bd    

Offline Bill Turner

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #31 on: November 17, 2010, 10:05:00 AM »
I've used the old Green Razorheads for years without the bleeder. I could never get the bleeders to fit properly out of the package. They always had to be doctored in one way or the other. Never had a problem sharpening them. Even buit a simple tool to hold the bleeder while sharpening. Love the Razorheads just didn't like the bleeders. To each his own.

Offline eman614

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #32 on: November 17, 2010, 06:42:00 PM »
i use them. i figure 4 blades are better than 2. i shoot a 53# longbow, and have shot through every animal i've shot. they leave great blood trails too.

Offline Precurve

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #33 on: November 17, 2010, 07:05:00 PM »
I seem to get better blood trails with the inserts, but I've gotten every animal I've shot at with them; with or without the insert.  Seems to be a great shooting head, and no problems here getting them sharp.

Dave

Online Tim Finley

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #34 on: November 17, 2010, 07:18:00 PM »
I've always used the bleeders and they have worked well , I shot one buck though both scalpulas and the bleeder was still in the head, xtra cutting and just as good penetration...Tim

Offline hvac tech

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #35 on: November 17, 2010, 09:46:00 PM »
you are correct in what you  are saying . all the techno talk is about is just that techno talk .those heads are fine .for most anything you hunt .they are very easy to sharpen because they are a bit softer than other heads that simply is it in the nutshell rockwell is way of measuring how hard somthing is by a standard using a diamond with a certain amount of weight. c scale is for tool steel which cutting broadheads are .now with being said fred had the right idea he wanted a head that could be sharpenrd quickly in  the field and still hold an edge cut bone and hear and meat and arterys etc .i think whatever we  use keep em sharp and they will do just fine.either way bleeder or no bleeder .

Offline kill shot

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #36 on: November 18, 2010, 11:04:00 AM »
hvac tech, being a tool and die maker for 32+ years, I could bore you for hours on metalurgy, molecular structure of various steel etc. Techno talk that I need a break from. But I see what you are talking about. Those heads are as hard as can be and still be able to sharpen with a file as the file is harder than the head. As far as killing ability goes, I never had to track a deer more than 40 yards after being shot with the bear razor head.

Offline two4hooking

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #37 on: November 18, 2010, 11:11:00 AM »
I love them!   Send me all the bleeders you guys don't use :-)

Wicked on deer!

Offline hvac tech

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #38 on: November 18, 2010, 09:20:00 PM »
kill shot a big ten four no doubt we are on the same  page . before loosing my job to china i was a tool and die builder my self .for 28 plus years so the whole thing is the head does what fred bear wanted .this is good conversation though it keeps guys thinking and learning .about there equipment i also read were fred used zwickeys before he made his own . i checked several razorheads and i never found any to be more than the low 40 s i am now using magnus which are low 50s .the point i was making just because you can file the head does not mean they are not hard enough to hunt with or they are to soft .

Offline Danny Roberts

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #39 on: November 18, 2010, 09:46:00 PM »
ALWAYS !

Users currently browsing this topic:

Contact Us | Trad Gang.com © | User Agreement

Copyright 2003 thru 2024 ~ Trad Gang.com ©