3Rivers Archery

The Trad Gang Digital Market

Contribute to Trad Gang and Access the Classifieds!

Become a Trad Gang Sponsor!

Traditional Archery for Bowhunters

LEFT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS TRAD GANG CLASSIFIEDS ACCESS RIGHT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS

Author Topic: if you could move  (Read 1323 times)

Offline Thumper Dunker

• Trad Bowhunter
Re: if you could move
« Reply #40 on: November 12, 2010, 10:52:00 PM »
Any place but nazifornia.But the wife wants to be by her family and my jobs here.  We do have tons of coyotes big stripers and good trout fishing.High taxes ,screwed up deer hunting ,Heads of fish and game that have no clue. and now we have Moon beam Brown.Other than that its great.  :(
You can hop but you can't hide.
If it was not for rabbits I would never get a buck.
Yip yipahooooo yipyipyip.

Offline PEARL DRUMS

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #41 on: November 13, 2010, 08:44:00 AM »
West, west, west for me! More land and more opportunity. And yes my archery love plays a HUGE roll in that location.

Offline FBB

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #42 on: November 13, 2010, 09:01:00 AM »
I live in the upper Great Lakes good fishing though how long that will last with the Asian Carp situation is any body's guess. If you like squirrel hunting your in luck if you like deer hunting you will need to travel most likely west. Which brings up another issue when you live at the end of a cul-da-sac it makes travel tough, I just went to North Dakota and half of the trip is just getting out of Michigan. The State is in shambles since the entire State put all of it's eggs in one basket, the automotive industry. So I guess I agree with Pearl Drums West, West, West.

Offline TSP

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #43 on: November 13, 2010, 09:27:00 AM »
A timely thread since moving may be in the works fairly soon.

I like it here in general but it's not the best place to bowhunt.  Opinions on what ARE the better places to live + bowhunt are just what I'm looking for.

Offline Michael Arnette

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #44 on: November 13, 2010, 03:36:00 PM »
Personally, I like  northern Oklahoma, its a real sleeper in my opinion,we have great genetics, easy accessibility,lots of great public land, good nutrition in most areas, and with the management system changes that have been made the last several years it keeps getting better.
The best part is that know one knows about it yet.
Oh, I forgot to mention, cheap housing and a somewhat stable economy.

Offline Hill Hunter

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #45 on: November 13, 2010, 03:42:00 PM »
I would not, only if I had to.
Ps 8:3 ¶ When I consider thy heavens, the work of thy fingers, the moon and the stars, which thou hast ordained;
 4 What is man, that thou art mindful of him? and the son of man, that thou visitest him?

Offline Littlejake

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #46 on: November 13, 2010, 03:54:00 PM »
Iowa ,if I could just talk my wife into it.
Try and be the person your dog thinks you are...
PBS Regular Member

Offline Huntschool

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #47 on: November 13, 2010, 04:16:00 PM »
I guess as a transplanted Jersey guy I am happy right here in Southernmost Illinois.  Been here since 68.  The state gov sucks... but I have property... enough to be happy.  I was lucky as a kid in Jersay as we lived in NE Bergen Co. on about 120 ac. Got to walk out my door and hunt.  I can do the same here.

We seem to get a fair climate here so, I think I'll stay.....  I can drive or whatever to get to something I want to do.
Bruce A. Hering
Program Coordinator (retired)
Southeastern Illinois College
NSCA Level III Instructor
Black Widow Bows
AMM 761

Offline kwikeekwiver

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #48 on: November 13, 2010, 04:24:00 PM »
I have heard that Idaho has a lot to offer as far as hunting goes. any truth to that?

Offline recurvericky

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #49 on: November 13, 2010, 05:25:00 PM »
I relocated to Eastern Kansas from Eastern NC 4 years ago due to a job. In NC, had had alot of private land to hunt and filled my tags dags every year. In Kansas I hunt public land, which can be difficult, but I have seen several of the largest bucks of my life while hunting on public land. I guess I am happy anywhere as long as I can hunt.
Recurvericky
Richmond, Ks

Traditionalist have more fun!

Offline Renaissance Man

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #50 on: November 13, 2010, 05:32:00 PM »
I have thought a great deal on this, and after meeting several people who have done it I believe it is best to have a downsized place somewhere more north, for me out of the peoples Republic of NJ like New England, Pennsylvania, parts of NY State
and somewhere small in a warm climate like Fla, for about four months a year. Have all the great hunting and fresh water fishing, spend the dreary part of winter someplace where my 23 CC can skip along some to great salt water fishing. Someplace a close enough shot for my family and kids, and I know I will see them all if I have a place in Fla for the winter.

Offline Andy Cooper

• TGMM Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #51 on: November 13, 2010, 06:44:00 PM »
Originally posted by kwikeekwiver:
I have heard that Idaho has a lot to offer as far as hunting goes. any truth to that?
I lived in Coeur d'Alene for a couple of years back in the early 90's. If I remember correctly, there were elk, shiras moose, huge whitetails, turkey, black bears, and lots of varmints...sometimes even in town. Muleys were around, too, in small numbers. Some of the locals used to laugh at me for driving 20 minutes out to where I liked to hunt. They thought that was way too far, for some reason!  :D
:campfire:       TGMM Family of the Bow       :archer:      

My Father's bow rack is the sky.

Offline snag

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #52 on: November 13, 2010, 06:57:00 PM »
You know if it wasn't for the greedy, power hungry politicians there would be a lot of really good places to live. How's that?
Isaiah 49:2...he made me a polished arrow and concealed me in his quiver.

Offline Gun

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #53 on: November 14, 2010, 12:18:00 AM »
I did 22 years ago, and just to hunt too. Kind of wish I would have gone to Iowa though as few deer as I'm seeing lately.
It's really simple. Just don't take those borderline shots. Tomorrow is another day.

Offline damascusdave

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #54 on: November 14, 2010, 12:27:00 AM »
Originally posted by Gun:
I did 22 years ago, and just to hunt too. Kind of wish I would have gone to Iowa though as few deer as I'm seeing lately.
Gun, if you want to see deer you need to come and hunt with me. We were out the back door of the restaurant downtown this morning and there was a mulie doe with her twin fawns running all over the place. She was then joined by about 3 other deer before they headed into the bush. The buck in that herd is a nice 4x5.

DDave
I set out a while ago to reduce my herd of 40 bows...And I am finally down to 42

Offline damascusdave

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #55 on: November 14, 2010, 12:28:00 AM »
I moved here from good hunting country in northern Saskatchewan and the hunting here is even better.

Even hunted up a pair of Bear Kodiaks today about a half hour away.

DDave
I set out a while ago to reduce my herd of 40 bows...And I am finally down to 42

Offline katie

• Trad Bowhunter
  • “Lady Hawk”
« Reply #56 on: November 14, 2010, 12:42:00 AM »
Today I would say the South.  That is because it is cold in Iowa at the moment.  When it is hot in Iowa I say Colorado.  I love whitewater, mountains, and hunting.  Both places have all the above.
"Thousands of tired, nerve-shaken, over-civilized people are beginning to find out that going to the mountains is going home; that wildness is a necessity"  John Muir

Offline David Yukon

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #57 on: November 14, 2010, 12:43:00 AM »
Yukon is the one for me... And since I'm already there, no plan on moving any where soon!! Love the place, love the people, and man the hunting is great!!

Offline Rob DiStefano

• Administrator
  • Trad Bowhunter
  • Contributing Member
    • Cavalier Pickups
« Reply #58 on: November 14, 2010, 06:25:00 AM »
as i get older i realize what's more important isn't so much where ya are, it's what'cha can do.

one can find good hunting most anywhere in the usa.  sure, there are places that are *outstanding* for a given species of game - that's always a consideration and good dream fodder.

my prioritized order is thisaway - as long as i can pull a hefty bowstring, and get out afield in search of game, and be in the company of like-minded bretheran, life will always be good.       :thumbsup:      amen.
IAM ~ The only government I trust is my .45-70 ... and my 1911.

Offline Bowwild

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #59 on: November 14, 2010, 06:42:00 AM »
My brother has lived (still does)in Edmonton, Alberta for more than 30 years.He doesn't hunt or fish a lick.

I reallly like Flagstaff, AZ but I don't know if I could stand applying for everything I want to hunt and then not drawing.

It would be great to apply as a resident for Montana big horn sheep tags but I reckon the odds of drawing would only improve from 30 years to 29?

Cour de Lane (spelling), Idaho is a beautiful spot.

Grants Pass, OR was listed by Time or Newsweek, about 6 years ago as the best place to live in the US. Of course that list changes a lot. Washington State always seems to have some places on that list.

Bozeman, MT is sure close to some fantastic hunting in MT, ID, and Wy.  

Too bad only Shirly McClain has more than one life to live on this globe.

Users currently browsing this topic:

Contact Us | Trad Gang.com © | User Agreement

Copyright 2003 thru 2024 ~ Trad Gang.com ©