3Rivers Archery

The Trad Gang Digital Market

Contribute to Trad Gang and Access the Classifieds!

Become a Trad Gang Sponsor!

Traditional Archery for Bowhunters

LEFT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS TRAD GANG CLASSIFIEDS ACCESS RIGHT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS

Author Topic: Osage Orange Question  (Read 1345 times)

Offline BrianO

• Trad Bowhunter
Osage Orange Question
« on: January 10, 2007, 04:51:00 PM »
I have been looking for some osage to cut for some time now.  I have found several trees that are about to be bulldozed to make way for an apartment complex.  I thought I could probably get a book and study about them before I had to do anything but the fella running the bull dozer said he would work around them until tommorrow afternoon.  So my qustion is exactly what part or size do I cut for staves?  Does it matter about small limbs growing out of a otherwise good limbs, say a half inch or less?  It seems that most of the  biggger limbs have a natural curve or arch.  Obviously you dont want much arc but how much is tolerable.  I hate for any of this to go to waste so I'm trying to save as much as possible.  I am new to this so please spare no advise. All input is welcome.

Offline ChuckC

• Trad Bowhunter
Re: Osage Orange Question
« Reply #1 on: January 10, 2007, 05:17:00 PM »
If nothing else, grab the trunk and get it cut into lumber at a local mill so you can give it to guys like me on the Gang !    (hint)

If you have the time, I would seriously try to grab some of it anyway.
ChuckC

Offline Talondale

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #2 on: January 10, 2007, 05:20:00 PM »
I'd grab what you could and sort it out afterwards.  Sounds like you only have a small window of opportunity.  Pieces you don't use could be used for handles, knife scales, tip overlays, turkey calls, etc.

Offline Steve Kendrot

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #3 on: January 10, 2007, 05:36:00 PM »
I'm hoping to capitalize on a similar opportunity for my first stash of osage too! My understanding is a relatively straight grained peice will be easier for a first timer to work with. Some curve can be taken out once reduced to a stave. I've heard 8-10" diameter trunk is good to split into staves smaller branches might work too. Remember, you can work with billets so 36" is all you really need. You can splice billets together so I don't think all is lost if you can't find a straight 72" peice. Good luck. Remember to seal the ends to prevent splitting/checking. Some guys use glue.

Offline Blkbird

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #4 on: January 10, 2007, 05:48:00 PM »
Might want to remove the bark before you stow it away,helps to keep the little critters from boring a home in it.

Offline Bob Barnes

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #5 on: January 10, 2007, 09:13:00 PM »
anything that fairly straight for at least 3 feet will make at least billets...get all that you can and follow the advice above...spray it all with something that will keep the bugs out of it.  My porch has a pile of beautiful 1/4" ring stuff that is so full of holes it's worthless.  Even 3-4" stuff makes great bows.
Bob
"Hello, My name is Bob and I'm a BowAholic"

Offline John Scifres

• TGMM Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #6 on: January 10, 2007, 09:17:00 PM »
Don't take just the bark off, get the sapwood too and make sure and paint all fresh cuts with plenty of shellac.
Take a kid hunting!

TGMM Family of the Bow

Offline Jason Lester

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #7 on: January 10, 2007, 10:57:00 PM »
Bring a chain sharpener. That Osage is tough!

Like other said. Straight stuff mostly. the trunk for sure. MAke sure you split it up soon after cutting. seal the ends like John said.

Bigger diameter is better but you can make them out of some smaller stuff too.
Jason Lester

Offline Walt Francis

• Administrator
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #8 on: January 11, 2007, 10:01:00 AM »
Listen to John Scifres advise and remove the sapwood.  If you take the bark off you must also take the sapwood off.  If you don't you are wasting a of of time and energy.

Walt Francis
The broadhead used, regardless of how sharp, is nowhere as important as being able to place it in the correct spot.

Walt Francis

Regular Member of the Professional Bowhunters Society

Offline TRACY F

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #9 on: January 11, 2007, 10:22:00 AM »
I had a similar situation not long ago. I cut the straightest sections I could, 30 inches on up to 70+ inches, and then proceeded to split with wedges what I couldn't carry on my shoulders to the truck. Didn't want to waste time splitting if I didn't have to and I don't think the dozer was going to stop for me if He caught up with me. As others have said, seal the ends as soon as possible to prevent any checking. Get the best pieces first and then go from there. Good luck and hope this helps!

Offline Jason Lester

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #10 on: January 11, 2007, 02:04:00 PM »
Oh if you pull the bark and sapwood off make sure to seal that with too.
Jason Lester

Offline BrianO

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #11 on: January 11, 2007, 03:43:00 PM »
Thanks for the info.  Turns out there is a lot more of it out there than I thought. I managed to get four logs about 70 incheslong and 10 inches round that are really straight.  The rain is slowing the bull dozer down and me too for that matter.  But I ended up getting a few more days to gather it.  When I take a collection of what I have I'll let everyone know and share the love.  Thanks again, this site and the folks on it are awesome!!!

Users currently browsing this topic:

Contact Us | Trad Gang.com © | User Agreement

Copyright 2003 thru 2024 ~ Trad Gang.com ©