3Rivers Archery

The Trad Gang Digital Market

Contribute to Trad Gang and Access the Classifieds!

Become a Trad Gang Sponsor!

Traditional Archery for Bowhunters

LEFT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS TRAD GANG CLASSIFIEDS ACCESS RIGHT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS

Author Topic: Tennessee Teaser/ euro mount on p.4  (Read 959 times)

Offline Robert Honaker

• Trad Bowhunter
Tennessee Teaser/ euro mount on p.4
« on: November 14, 2010, 06:56:00 PM »
Put in three days on a public land bow only hunt this week. Been bow only for as long as I can remember and the season is only abound ten days long.
Needless that is a prime recipe for big deer, but have never had anything except close encounters over the years.

First two days saw only one medium sized buck where I was hunting, so I scouted a new place and found several fresh scrapes and rubs. Hung my stand and left it alone for one day.
Here is one of the scrapes.

Offline rastaman

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
Re: Tennessee Teaser/ euro mount on p.4
« Reply #1 on: November 14, 2010, 07:11:00 PM »
:coffee:
TGMM Family of the Bow

:archer:                                               

Randy Keene
"Life is precious and so are you."  Marley Keene

Offline DannyBows

• Contributing Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #2 on: November 14, 2010, 07:34:00 PM »
Hmmm. I'll be back.   :coffee:
"Always feel the wind, and walk just like the leaves".  ("LongBow Country"--Chad Slagle, "High, Wild, and Free").

Offline Night Wing

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #3 on: November 14, 2010, 07:39:00 PM »
Nice looking "tease".    ;)
Blacktail TD Recurve: 66", 42# @ 30". Arrow: 32", 2212. PW: 75 Grains. AW: 421 Grains. GPP: 10.02
Blacktail TD Recurve: 66", 37# @ 30". Arrow: 32", 2212. PW: 75 Grains. AW: 421 Grains. GPP: 11.37

Offline Robert Honaker

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #4 on: November 14, 2010, 08:21:00 PM »
Oh well I'm back. Guess I'm not a very good tease.

The first two days there it was in the mid 20's in the mornings, but warmed quickly into the 60's.
After getting a days rest I made the drive back to the park. the forecast was for upper 70's. My truck's therm. flashed 36 degrees when I parked. I started my hike at a quarter after four. It's about a 45 min walk, but that's what I had to do to escape pressured deer here.

Along the way thoughts of just one deer sighting and the warm temps plagued me.

I hate to say it but my confidence in my shooting was not as good as it should be this year either. I had a 130in eight point   earlier in the year that I just couldn't "pull the trigger" on. I shoulda killed that deer. I'm spot on , but sometimes some doubt creeps in my head lately. I really needed a good hunt to "fix" me.  

All this was really getting to me after two days daylight to dark in the stand.

I finally find the tree with my steps in place,  climb up and get settled in my new Guidos Web that I bought from longbowally. Pull up my new to me Silvertip I got from Tukudu and wait for light.

It's deathly still and quiet this morning.

Offline tukudu

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #5 on: November 14, 2010, 08:25:00 PM »
Hmmmmm this could get good. TM
"Brothers of the flaming arrow"

Offline Robert Honaker

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #6 on: November 14, 2010, 08:35:00 PM »
Hey tuk!

I was hoping you would see this.

Offline joe ashton

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #7 on: November 14, 2010, 08:43:00 PM »
he'll be back.
Joe Ashton,D.C.
 pronghorn long bow  54#
 black widow long bow 55#
 21 century long bow 55#
 big horn recurve  58#

Offline Robert Honaker

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #8 on: November 14, 2010, 09:53:00 PM »
It's so still this morning. I watch my breath hang in the air. Not even a thermal current, much less wind. The leaves are dry, so I relax, close my eyes and just listen.

Behind me is a laurel thicket. I assume he will be comong or going from there as the many wrist sized rubs say.

Below me is a very large scrape and  in front of me is a small, what I call basketball scrape. A steep hill to my right and a medium sized stream off my left about 60yds away. My tree is just in the edge of a Hemlock stand with it opening up into a flood plain of mature whiteoaks with a slightly brown grassy floor in front of me.

As I wait dangling from the side of a tree, my confidence is just not there. I think to myself.. I will stay till eleven today instead of all day.
After that I pack up and hunt my home grounds with higher deer numbers.

Turkeys are yelping in the trees far in front of me as the sun rises. They should fly down soon.

I shift my wieght to look towards the stream when I hear an unidentifiable comotion about a hundred yards in front of me. I strain to see through the tangle of limbs where the Hemlocks give way to the open oak flood plain.

The sun is hitting the ground there and I see it....Antlers! The curve of main beams thrashing a bush!  He lifts his head and starts walking towards the scrape in front of me.  I guessed right, he is heading for the thicket behind me, he has to come  thru me to get there.

He crosses a large downed tree and is now in the open at 40yds. At twenty he stops cleans out the scrape...violently. What an impressive beast.  His body is behind a tree blocking a shot. He rears on his back legs and works the branch. I draw. When he comes down he should be in the open from his current position. He twists as he comes back to all fours and walks in the direction he came from.  ugh! No!

I swear...I prayed right there to the good Lord to bring this deer back to me. He was about out of sight when I hear a grunt and chasing sounds behind me. I turn to see a doe with a spike hot on her trail. As they angle up the hill on my right, my buck just watches as they run out of sight. I know he is about to leave after them when the doe turns and  runs back down the hill and passes under me.

The spike stops at my buck and dare not pursue any further. To my surprise the buck doesn't run after her, but calmly walks on a path that will bring him about twenty yds to my right. he's taking the short line to her, not her route.He's at a brisk, determined walk. I swing in my web to position and come to full draw. As my bow hand moves from his rib cage to in front of his chest, in a smooth swing as if leading a quail on the rise, I release.

Offline Keith Karr

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #9 on: November 14, 2010, 10:09:00 PM »
Good story...lets hear more!
Keith Karr

Offline xtrema312

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #10 on: November 14, 2010, 10:27:00 PM »
:campfire:
1 Timothy 4:4(NKJV)
For every creature of God is good, and nothing is to be refused if it is received with thanksgiving.

Firefly Long Bow  James 4:14
60" MOAB 54@29 James 1:17

Michigan Longbow Association

Offline Robert Honaker

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #11 on: November 14, 2010, 10:33:00 PM »
If you will notice int he pic of the scrape, there is a log in the background.

That is the downed tree he crossed on his way to me.

Offline Robert Honaker

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #12 on: November 14, 2010, 10:50:00 PM »
Ok... The shot amazed me. I mean I've killed deer before and made some great shots even on moving deer, but this was awesome! I climb down and go to the spot where I hit him. The pic above shows what I found.  I want to go after him immediatly, but I go ahead and gather all my stuff and just relax for a bit.

THAT AINT GOONA HAPPEN! I know he's dead. I heard the death crash. I take up the trail.

I notice a bunch of chunks in the blood. I'm thinkin liver. I better wait an hour, so I sit down on a log and enjoy the vision of him running off with my fletching showing in his side.

As I sit and ponder I spot my deer lying about forty yards away.   :)  

As I walk up to him.

Offline rastaman

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #13 on: November 14, 2010, 10:52:00 PM »
:thumbsup:     :thumbsup:  Awesome deer and story sir!
TGMM Family of the Bow

:archer:                                               

Randy Keene
"Life is precious and so are you."  Marley Keene

Offline Robert Honaker

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #14 on: November 14, 2010, 10:59:00 PM »
Thanks  to tukudu   for a super bow and to longbowally for a treestand that enabled me to get away from the crowds.

Offline BRONZ

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #15 on: November 14, 2010, 11:10:00 PM »
Great story and super deer!  I love seeing those blood trails that end in success!
"He trains my hands for battle; my arms can bend a bow of bronze."
2 Samuel 22:35

Wheatland Christian Bowhunters--Chairman

Offline BlackDog

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #16 on: November 14, 2010, 11:54:00 PM »
Good story, thanks for sharing!

Online South MS Bowhunter

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #17 on: November 15, 2010, 12:15:00 AM »
Great story Robert and beautiful deer.  How did you pack him out since it sounds like you were back aways?
Everything I have and have become is due to the Lord and his great mercy.

Offline AMB

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #18 on: November 15, 2010, 12:34:00 AM »
Nice job!

Offline tukudu

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #19 on: November 15, 2010, 05:18:00 AM »
You brought a smile to my face this morning. Wonderful buck, glad to be there with you. TM   :clapper:    :clapper:
"Brothers of the flaming arrow"

Users currently browsing this topic:

Contact Us | Trad Gang.com © | User Agreement

Copyright 2003 thru 2024 ~ Trad Gang.com ©