3Rivers Archery

The Trad Gang Digital Market

Contribute to Trad Gang and Access the Classifieds!

Become a Trad Gang Sponsor!

Traditional Archery for Bowhunters

LEFT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS TRAD GANG CLASSIFIEDS ACCESS RIGHT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS

Author Topic: Suggestions on bows for a longer draw.  (Read 378 times)

Offline GraniteStater

• Trad Bowhunter
Suggestions on bows for a longer draw.
« on: November 14, 2010, 07:56:00 PM »
I've been working on my form and have managed to get over 31 inches in my draw.  I'm now shooting a 60' Predator and while it is very smooth, I do get a good ammount of finger pinch.

Does anyone have any suggestions on bows for a long draw? I have yet to shoot a longbow, my experiences are only with recures, but I'm open to anything. (Just started shooting/hunting this year)
1Peter 5:6,7

Offline HB3

• Trad Bowhunter
Re: Suggestions on bows for a longer draw.
« Reply #1 on: November 14, 2010, 09:45:00 PM »
my draw changed from 29 to 32 inches and my 60 in recurve bows now stack. I had to go to a 66 in bow to prevent stack but was able to shoot the 64 in Dryad limbs on my Dalaa riser with no stack at all, really like these limbs, they are very quiet.

Offline JCJ

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #2 on: November 14, 2010, 09:50:00 PM »
I draw 32" with a recurve and am shooting a 60" Bruin T/D. THere is something about the limb design of the Bruins that makes them very stack free and shootable for me. Real quiet bow even with light arrows.I have owned a bunch of 66" recurves like Brackenbury's, Wes Wallace, Blacktails, Assenheimer, etc...and I actually find the Bruin a more comfortable bow to shoot and I really like the length as a hunting bow.

Offline Doug in MN

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #3 on: November 14, 2010, 09:54:00 PM »
I have a long draw as well I have a RER XR static tip recurve takes the the long draws very well. No pinch and no stacking.

This one is a 62" 50# at 28" bow very fast and I will say one of the if not the quietest recurves you will ever shoot.

Online Stumpkiller

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #4 on: November 14, 2010, 09:54:00 PM »
I have a 30" draw and usually a 60" AMO will suit me . . . but not always.  My Ben Pearson is a 62" and it really does make a noticable difference for finger pinch.

Don't work your draw too long.  I used to shoot a full length (32") target arrow when I shot full upright with a vertical bow.  Now I lean into it and cant the bow; and use a 30-1/2" BOP arrow length.  In most hunting you are working cover or odd angles and it's not always possible to get to a full-upright stance.
Charlie P. }}===]> A.B.C.C.

Bear Kodiak & K. Hunter, D. Palmer Hunter, Ben Pearson Hunter, Wing Presentation II & 4 Red Wing Hunters (LH & 3 RH), Browning Explorer, Cobra II & Wasp, Martin/Howatt Dream Catcher, Root Warrior, Shakespeare Necedah.

Online stagetek

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #5 on: November 14, 2010, 11:07:00 PM »
I've managed to shorten my draw to 30 1/2". I'm 6'7". If I wanted to I could easily pull 32" or more. Just won't work with a recurve, or even a compound any more. I cant the bow and lean into the draw with my head. Very easy to lose at least two inches or more.

Offline scedvm

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #6 on: November 15, 2010, 02:17:00 AM »
I draw 31" and do occasionally shoot my 60 and 62" recurves but do have to say I much prefer my 64" and longer bows.  I have always been a recurve guy but started shooting longbows this year and love the fit of my 64" Toelke Whip and killed a good bull this year with my 68" Bamabows D-shaped which is very smooth at long draw. Good Luck....Shawn

Offline Benny Nganabbarru

• TGMM Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #7 on: November 15, 2010, 05:28:00 AM »
64" Black Widow PMA.

70" (or 72" special) Howard Hill longbow.
TGMM - Family of the Bow

Offline Rob DiStefano

• Administrator
  • Trad Bowhunter
  • Contributing Member
    • Cavalier Pickups
« Reply #8 on: November 15, 2010, 05:41:00 AM »
not all bow lengths are technically equal from a drawing and shooting perspective, and some will just feel better than others.  trying before buying is once again the golden rule.  if that's not an option, go with as long a bow length as possible as longer is smoother, but obviously not as manueverable in the bush.

while i can get away with a 60" longbow for my 29" draw, 62" is better and 66" is best.  and there's no substitute for trying before buying.
IAM ~ The only government I trust is my .45-70 ... and my 1911.

Offline straitera

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #9 on: November 15, 2010, 06:35:00 AM »
Did the finger pinch thing for a while w/shorter recurves. Switched to Hill 33 years ago & happy since. My shortest is 66" & never any pinch at all. They're a treat & perfect hunting weapon.
Buddy Bell

Trad is 60% mental & about 40% mental.

Offline Rob DiStefano

• Administrator
  • Trad Bowhunter
  • Contributing Member
    • Cavalier Pickups
« Reply #10 on: November 15, 2010, 06:48:00 AM »
summa the real short bow designs, both recurves and longbow platforms, have really deep brace heights of 9" to 10", and short limb throws that will allow for longer draw lengths with reduced (or no) finger pinch.  but i never liked short limbed bows, always felt they lacked 'stability' and weren't as 'forgiving' as longer limbed stickbows.  ymmv.
IAM ~ The only government I trust is my .45-70 ... and my 1911.

Offline Night Wing

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #11 on: November 15, 2010, 08:10:00 AM »
I have a 30" draw and finger pinch has always been an issue with me. This is why I perfer 66" recurves.
Blacktail TD Recurve: 66", 42# @ 30". Arrow: 32", 2212. PW: 75 Grains. AW: 421 Grains. GPP: 10.02
Blacktail TD Recurve: 66", 37# @ 30". Arrow: 32", 2212. PW: 75 Grains. AW: 421 Grains. GPP: 11.37

Offline chopx2

• TGMM Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #12 on: November 15, 2010, 09:14:00 AM »
Design is everything. There are plenty of bowyers who have limb designs that accomodate longer draws without getting very long.

I've got a 52" Toelke recurve for tight quarters and I draw 29" It is probably at the limit of what it would be comfortable at (Know a few other guys with 29" draws who have shot this bow with the same result).

I've also got a 58" Toelke LB that has less finger pinch than some 60" bows I've shot.

All my other LBs are 62" and could easily accommodate a longer draw especially if built for it.

I would never shorten my draw intentionally. There is such a power stroke advantage to the longer draw. With guys with draws 32"+ I know arrow are hard to come by. You'd think the carbon guys would go ahead and make some since they're all made in long lengths and cut down.
TGMM-Family of the Bow

The quest to improve is so focused on a few design aspects & compensating for hunter ineptness as to actually have reduced a bow & arrow’s effectiveness. Nothing better demonstrates this than mech. BHs & speed fixated designs

Offline BobCo 1965

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #13 on: November 15, 2010, 09:32:00 AM »
Besides the benefits mentioned in limb length, etc. also consider limb material in the riser, limbs, and tips. Personally, I have a 31 1/2" draw and feel better and safer pulling back on bows which have the strongest materials available. Personally, although I don't really like the looks of many laminates, I use them. A nice camo dip job is also nice over my hunting bow.

Offline jhg

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #14 on: November 15, 2010, 09:42:00 AM »
Originally posted by chopx2:
Design is everything. There are plenty of bowyers who have limb designs that accomodate longer draws without getting very long...

Exactly. I will agree with Rob that a longer bow can be more forgiving than a short one but there are plenty long ones out there that are not.

Rate by importance the traits you want against the ones you don't and find a bow that gets you closest to your criteria. My guess is there are 62 inch bows out there that will not stack, are as forgiving as any longer bows and look good to.
 Regarding finger pinch we are all different, but I'd try solving that issue with technique myself.  

I pull a little over 30" and pinch is not an issue. It might be there more or less with shorter bows, but I just don't attach much importance to it. I don't shoot 150 arrows a session and decided finger pinch was NOT going to be one of the things I stress over when shooting a bow. There are more important things than some extra pressure on my fingers. Just bend with the wind...

Joshua
Learn, practice and pass on "leave no trace" ethics, no matter where you hunt.

Offline yaderehey

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #15 on: November 15, 2010, 09:58:00 AM »
It seems to me that stacking is related to bow design and such but finger pinch, which is the issue here is simply a matter of geometry and the string angle at full draw and when you personally are prone to noticing it.  Therefore the only way to get away from it is a longer bow or a more open string angle at full draw.  I guess some bows of the same length, because of design could have slightly different string angles.  It does seem that static tip recurves seem to draw longer, smoother than some other designs.  Chastain is another example besides RER.  I'm not sure that they are any better for finger pinch though.

Offline Jeff Strubberg

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #16 on: November 15, 2010, 10:04:00 AM »
Drop your top finger off the string at full draw.

Seriously, try it!
"Teach him horsemanship and archery, and teach him to despise all lies"          -Herodotus

Offline Irish Archer

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #17 on: November 15, 2010, 11:28:00 AM »
I'd say try a 66/68" Hill style bow. They're not for everyone, but I love mine.

I draw 29.5" if I do my part with a 66" bow and it works well.

Good luck.

Offline legends1

• Tradbowhunter
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #18 on: November 15, 2010, 12:44:00 PM »
I have a 31" draw myself.I designed a 60" TORNADO that would also fit a long draw shooter.I can shoot it.But my go to personal recurve is my 64" SAFARI ELITE.I dont think your  doing yourself a favor to change your shooting style to try to make it fit better.You can really open yourself up to picking up some bad habits.

Offline GrayRhino

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #19 on: November 15, 2010, 01:46:00 PM »
I draw 32.5 and shoot a Black Widow PMA II, 64".  No problem with fingerpinch and no stacking.

God  now commandeth all men everywhere to repent.  Acts 17:30

"All bowhunting trips are good,  some are just real good!"  Bill Baker

"We're all trophy hunters...until something else comes along."  Glenn St. Charles

Users currently browsing this topic:

Contact Us | Trad Gang.com © | User Agreement

Copyright 2003 thru 2024 ~ Trad Gang.com ©