3Rivers Archery

The Trad Gang Digital Market

Contribute to Trad Gang and Access the Classifieds!

Become a Trad Gang Sponsor!

Traditional Archery for Bowhunters

LEFT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS TRAD GANG CLASSIFIEDS ACCESS RIGHT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS

Author Topic: question for those who wear glasses?  (Read 613 times)

Offline DBinAlamo

• Trad Bowhunter
question for those who wear glasses?
« on: November 14, 2010, 09:27:00 PM »
Have any of you ever been busted from the glare off your glasses?  Two years in a row Ive been busted both by mature bucks.  Wind was in my face and I know I didnt move. Once was in atree once on the ground, and I wear a face mask. Thanks for any advice.  DB
A&H ACS 64" 50#@28" 3DH Riser.
Strive for excellence....  Not perfection.
"If your not working hard, someone else is" Dentler.

Offline damascusdave

• Trad Bowhunter
Re: question for those who wear glasses?
« Reply #1 on: November 14, 2010, 09:34:00 PM »
About the only thing I can think of is learn to live with getting busted sometimes from glare off your glasses, or get contact lenses.
DDave
I set out a while ago to reduce my herd of 40 bows...And I am finally down to 42

Offline Andy Cooper

• TGMM Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #2 on: November 14, 2010, 09:40:00 PM »
I can't shoot with my glasses on...the string keeps catching them, or I change my anchor to avoid it...neither are good. Fortunately, I only need glasses for reading and close work. I've worn them hunting, though, and haven't been busted by the glare from them...that I know of.
:campfire:       TGMM Family of the Bow       :archer:      

My Father's bow rack is the sky.

Online Stumpkiller

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #3 on: November 14, 2010, 09:41:00 PM »
Get a hat with a brim.  I like a floppy style that doesn't interfere with the string.
Charlie P. }}===]> A.B.C.C.

Bear Kodiak & K. Hunter, D. Palmer Hunter, Ben Pearson Hunter, Wing Presentation II & 4 Red Wing Hunters (LH & 3 RH), Browning Explorer, Cobra II & Wasp, Martin/Howatt Dream Catcher, Root Warrior, Shakespeare Necedah.

Offline dan d

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #4 on: November 14, 2010, 09:48:00 PM »
I will be waiting to hear the responses, I wear contacts bow hunting, but am starting to wear glasses more often for other activities.
Dan
Compton member & Michigan Traditional Bowhunter member.

Online Walt Francis

• Administrator
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #5 on: November 14, 2010, 09:54:00 PM »
My glasses bothered me, I got Lasik surgery, never regreted it.
The broadhead used, regardless of how sharp, is nowhere as important as being able to place it in the correct spot.

Walt Francis

Regular Member of the Professional Bowhunters Society

Offline Paul WA

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #6 on: November 14, 2010, 09:59:00 PM »
Dont clean them...PR
"I'm a trophy hunter till something else comes along"

Offline xtrema312

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #7 on: November 14, 2010, 10:04:00 PM »
How have you been Doug?  Haven't seen you for a while.  I want to borrow you Rick Welch DVD some time.  I will lone you my MOBB3

Mature bucks get mature because they bust you for all kinds of reasons.  Maybe it wasn't even your glasses.  Try and stay in the shadows and sun to your back when you can.  A hat to shade your face will help.  I have one of Big Jim's wire brim hats.  It is short bill, and I can bent the corner out of the way of the string.  That could help some.

I have only ever been in bow range of 4 large older bucks.  They all gave me the slip one way or the other, and none of them busted me.  They just seem to be able to make the right choices when it is critical.  

My eyes are getting to the point I may need to start wearing my glasses to hunt.  Can't count point anymore at distance unless it is a bigger buck.  I keep having to pass the basket rackets because I can't spot brow tines and small beam points until it is too late.  I took the glasses out on two hunts this year, and wow the woods was 3D.  :eek:    Now if I can just figure out how to shoot without hitting them and shifting them out of place when I hit anchor.  It will be a pain to hunt with glasses, but much better than not being able to see what you need to see.
1 Timothy 4:4(NKJV)
For every creature of God is good, and nothing is to be refused if it is received with thanksgiving.

Firefly Long Bow  James 4:14
60" MOAB 54@29 James 1:17

Michigan Longbow Association

Offline 30coupe

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #8 on: November 14, 2010, 10:10:00 PM »
I wear contacts when hunting. Not because I've been busted, but because I hate the glasses fogging over. It seems that they always do that at the most inopportune moments. The only thing bad about contacts and old age is they don't work up close.
Kanati 58" 44# @ 28" Green glass on a green riser
Bear Kodiak Magnum 52" 45# @ 28"
Bodnik Slick Stick longbow 58" 40# @ 28"
Bodnik Kiowa 52" 45# @ 28"
Kanati 58" 46# @ 28" R.I.P (2007-2015)
Self-made Silk backed Hickory Board bow 67" 49# @ 28"
Bear Black Bear 60" 45# @28"
NRA Life Member

Offline Kip l Hoffman

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #9 on: November 14, 2010, 10:28:00 PM »
The only thing worse than glasses is not being able to see.  I don't have an answer for you on this one.  AND I KNOW what you mean.  Some times that stars just aren't ligned up right.   when it happened to me I actuall saw the flash of light reflected off my lenses right on his eyes.  Left eye it was and he was 127".  My first "book buck". I know because he came back couple of days later when the sun was behind the hill.

Offline rambo1993

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #10 on: November 14, 2010, 10:29:00 PM »
no I havent been busted yet I'm 17 and use the flat black but I'll admit it I ask my mom to help me put my contacts in but know that bow season is over I'll practice doin it but In winter bow my face freezes cuz I can't use a balaclava cuz everything fogs up one thing after the next LOL
Black widow 2007 PSR 2 T/D recurve 60" 48#@28"
Bear kodiak hunter 1pc. 50x#@28" 60" style recurve
Kota Prairie Swift 1pc. 53#@28" 60"
Samick Leopard recurve T/D 50#@28" 60"

Offline imhntn

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #11 on: November 14, 2010, 10:31:00 PM »
I wear contacts sometimes but can't tell it makes any difference.  I got busted by a good one yesterday just before he stepped into my shooting lane and I was wearing the contacts.  He just picked me out in the tree.  I think it just happens sometimes.  The only deer I have killed this year I had the glasses on.
2 Timothy 2:2

Offline Gary Logsdon

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #12 on: November 14, 2010, 10:47:00 PM »
I've been wearing glasses for over 50 years, about 40 of them chasing deer, without any of the problems you described . . . like any other piece of "equipment" some learn to cope with it and some don't. In the field glass glare has never proved to be a problem for me. As I aged and my prescription changed I became more concerned with how my trifocals might affect my sight picture (I gap shot)so I started training myself to shoot more instinctively by shooting arrows at night at a spot illuminated by a small flashlight . . . sometimes I shoot at a lit candle in total darkness.  The routine retrained my brain to focus on the target only and go more or less by "feel".  This works MOST of the time at the ranges I prefer to shoot deer and I'm pretty pleased with the results.  But to once again address the topic question, I don't have any problems.
Gary Logsdon

Offline Night Wing

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #13 on: November 14, 2010, 10:51:00 PM »
I've been wearing glasses for 48 years and have never been busted by any game animal at close range because of my glasses.
Blacktail TD Recurve: 66", 42# @ 30". Arrow: 32", 2212. PW: 75 Grains. AW: 421 Grains. GPP: 10.02
Blacktail TD Recurve: 66", 37# @ 30". Arrow: 32", 2212. PW: 75 Grains. AW: 421 Grains. GPP: 11.37

Offline Ragnarok Forge

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #14 on: November 14, 2010, 11:17:00 PM »
Get the anti reflective coating on your prescription glasses.  I use it to keep glare off while driving at night.  A side benfit is the lack of reflective glare off the glases under low light.
Clay Walker
Skill is not born into anyone.  It is earned thru hard work and perseverance.

Offline Huntschool

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #15 on: November 15, 2010, 12:26:00 PM »
I have just started to notice a focus problem with mine.  (I have the reflective coating on mine.)

I do "check" my arrow point sometimes.  I shoot three under with two different anchor points.  One is on the front of my face in close to my nose and the other is at a "full draw" along the side of my face.  My vision will go "crosseyed" sometimes.  I have always been very right eye dominant but now the left eye is trying to take over.  My recent shooting glasses RX has been changed to fix that but I have been hesitant to use these glasses shooting a bow.

Don't know that I have ever been busted for glasses.  I do wear a face net.
Bruce A. Hering
Program Coordinator (retired)
Southeastern Illinois College
NSCA Level III Instructor
Black Widow Bows
AMM 761

Offline GingivitisKahn

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #16 on: November 15, 2010, 01:30:00 PM »
I wear my glasses out there sometimes but I don't think they've ever gotten me busted.  Impatience and stupidity - now THEY have gotten me busted.  Glasses - no.

Offline David Mitchell

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #17 on: November 15, 2010, 04:16:00 PM »
What Ragnarok Forge said is what I was going to say.  Be sure to discuss this with your eye care professional and they can suggest some solutions, I'm sure.  My son is an optometrist and as a hunter himself always enjoys discussing with his patients what their unique vision needs may be related to their hobbies and activities.
The years accumulate on old friendships like tree rings, during which time a kind of unspoken care and loyalty accrue between men.

Offline B/W lvr

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #18 on: November 15, 2010, 04:36:00 PM »
I tried glasses once. Called a friend who's smarter than me and he explained to me that glasses are fine when looking straight thru them but when we shoot our bows we are looking thru the very corner of the lens and distortion comes into play. I've tried it several times now and he is right.I shoot much better without the glasses than I do with them. Frank

Offline Thumper Dunker

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #19 on: November 15, 2010, 04:39:00 PM »
Only need them for close up . Can't shoot with them on. I think glare from a shinny bow is worse.
You can hop but you can't hide.
If it was not for rabbits I would never get a buck.
Yip yipahooooo yipyipyip.

Users currently browsing this topic:

Contact Us | Trad Gang.com © | User Agreement

Copyright 2003 thru 2024 ~ Trad Gang.com ©