3Rivers Archery

The Trad Gang Digital Market

Contribute to Trad Gang and Access the Classifieds!

Become a Trad Gang Sponsor!

Traditional Archery for Bowhunters

LEFT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS TRAD GANG CLASSIFIEDS ACCESS RIGHT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS

Author Topic: Rusty broadheads! Any fixes or go to stainless steel?  (Read 612 times)

Offline Huntschool

• Trad Bowhunter
Re: Rusty broadheads! Any fixes or go to stainless steel?
« Reply #20 on: November 15, 2010, 12:48:00 PM »
chap stick, lightly applied to edge.
Bruce A. Hering
Program Coordinator (retired)
Southeastern Illinois College
NSCA Level III Instructor
Black Widow Bows
AMM 761

Offline Bill Turner

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #21 on: November 15, 2010, 02:21:00 PM »
As earlier stated pour mineral oil on the foam insert inside your quiver cover. Don't overdo it.Let it absorb overnite. Rub a little on each broadhead and slide them into the quiver foam. You should be good to go. I also rubbed some mineral oil on my rawhide Selway bow quiver. Really cleaned it up and added life to an older quiver. By the way, I purchased a nice side bottle of mineral oil for a buck 75 at my local grocery store. Cheap and not hard to find.I'm very pleased with its performance.  :thumbsup:

Offline divecon10

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #22 on: November 15, 2010, 06:23:00 PM »
Depending on how bad the rust is. If established u can dip in or brush on rust converter, phosphoric acid. This way it stops the process of oxidization then u can work on them at u’r leisure. If wishing to work immediately it should be left for about 1/2 -1hr. I leave 24hrs. It will remain thus with a whitish powder coat for a few mths if kept dry. Next clean back to metal with a wire wheel on an bench grinder, being mindful of safety in both the grabbing ability of the wheel and the dust coming off. Repeat the dip process if dark shadows hint of more deeper rust. Once clean resharpen and spray with inox.  Another tip from Dr Ashby,  edited     ( Heat + high humidity = rust on broadheads, so be sure to check the sharpness frequently and keep them touched up at least daily. I found that spraying the broadheads with INOX worked better than anything else I've tried. INOX is a spray lubricant made in Canada Not only does INOX do a great job in inhibiting rust on the BH edges, it's an anitcoagulant too! Works much better than things like WD-40 or spray silicone. Vasaline is a coagulant, so not as desirable on your broadheads, especially on a marginal hit.)
divecon

Offline bad arrow

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #23 on: November 15, 2010, 06:48:00 PM »
Ditto for the boiled linseed oil. I'm one of the folks who still use it on my garden implements AND broadheads....Phil

Offline cohutta orange

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #24 on: November 15, 2010, 09:47:00 PM »
Used to use chapstick. Worked great but it is a coagulate (spelling). Mineral oil now. Sometimes vegetable oil but it just feels wrong. Relying on vegetable oil to get a deer, really?
Shoot straight and keep the heads keen

Offline Steve Clandinin

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #25 on: November 15, 2010, 09:52:00 PM »
It shouldn't just be called String wax,it works great on Broadheads and stands up way better than Vasaline.
Quote from Howard Hill.( Whenever he taught someone to shoot) "Son make up your mind right now if you want to target shoot or hunt as theres a world of differance between the two"

Offline kahunter

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #26 on: November 15, 2010, 10:17:00 PM »
Wow!  One of these tips ought to work for sure.  I like the idea of putting oil in the quiver foam.  Thanks again, guys.

Offline reddogge

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #27 on: November 16, 2010, 01:32:00 PM »
I've used vaseline for decades but recently started using a gun rust preventative and storage agent called RIG.  I use it because I have it but it can be purchased from Brownells.
Traditional Bowhunters of Maryland
Heart of Maryland Bowhunters
NRA
Mayberry Archers

Users currently browsing this topic:

Contact Us | Trad Gang.com © | User Agreement

Copyright 2003 thru 2024 ~ Trad Gang.com ©