3Rivers Archery

The Trad Gang Digital Market

Contribute to Trad Gang and Access the Classifieds!

Become a Trad Gang Sponsor!

Traditional Archery for Bowhunters

LEFT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS TRAD GANG CLASSIFIEDS ACCESS RIGHT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS

Author Topic: Need Advice  (Read 157 times)

Offline Tav

• Trad Bowhunter
Need Advice
« on: November 15, 2010, 01:31:00 PM »
I have an opportunity to buy a Spirit Long Bow (Brian Holley) 66" 56#@28".  Is this too long of a bow for hunting?  Has anybody had experience shooting a Spirit or hunting with a 66 incher?  It feels like a 45# draw - does that mean it will shoot like a 45# bow?  I hunt Wyoming and have shots in all conditions and cover.  Any help is appreciated.

Offline 5deer

• Trad Bowhunter
Re: Need Advice
« Reply #1 on: November 15, 2010, 01:42:00 PM »
if you like it and the price is right buy it - sounds like a nice bow.    :archer:    5
I've  seen  things  you  people  wouldn't  believe

"Have faith in God"  Mark  11:22

Online Stumpkiller

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #2 on: November 15, 2010, 01:50:00 PM »
I have a 72" bow I have successfully deer hunted with.  HOWEVER, if you hunt from a treestand and nestle yourself in among the branches a 62" or even 60" recurve can be too long for many opportunities; but that's the game.

According to Newton and Einstein energy cannot be created or destroyed.  If it feels like 45 pounds then it's got to be you are short of 28", the bow is mismarked, worn out or you are in love.  One of the four.
Charlie P. }}===]> A.B.C.C.

Bear Kodiak & K. Hunter, D. Palmer Hunter, Ben Pearson Hunter, Wing Presentation II & 4 Red Wing Hunters (LH & 3 RH), Browning Explorer, Cobra II & Wasp, Martin/Howatt Dream Catcher, Root Warrior, Shakespeare Necedah.

Offline bornagainbowhunter

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #3 on: November 15, 2010, 03:02:00 PM »
I have killed a great deal of Whitetail with 66" longbows.  They are not a problem at all.  You just have to learn how to get around in a tree with them.  If you learn to shoot off canted, it will be well worth you practice.  It will allow more shots.  Learn to trust you stand.  I have shot deer almost directly behind the tree I am in by standing on the edge of the stand and turning around.

Bottom line, no problem.  

God Bless,
Nathan
But thou, O LORD, art a shield for me; my glory, and the lifter up of mine head. Psalms 3:3

Offline YORNOC

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #4 on: November 15, 2010, 05:47:00 PM »
I hunt out of some nasty trees and I shoot 64" to 70" recurves. All how you set yourself up. The only problem I ever had with a long hunting bow was in Newfoundland hunting woodland caribou with a 70 inch recurve. Because of the gnarly tundra brush, the bottom limb was constantly catching on brush as I walked nonstop day after day through the stuff. Couldn't shoot from a kneeling position even if canting the bow, had to stand which did not work so well in those conditions. I ended up borrowing a 66" longbow( how coincidental!) from a hunting partner in camp and it was like night and day. Worked beautifully.
David M. Conroy

Offline Bowwild

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #5 on: November 15, 2010, 07:37:00 PM »
Tav...66" and Stumpkiller...72".  Wow!  My perspective origignates from only 5.5'. I'd get a nose bleed just stringing bows this long.

If you are using bows this long I would imagine it would be important to make sure the lower limb tip hits the center of the pit. Then as you push your legs upward be sure to twist in the air and push off the upper limb as your feet go over the bar and then throw back your head to clear your butt...

Sorry for the josh'n guys, I just can't help it.  I don't know how one keeps from breaking these long bows with truck doors?

Really though, I hunt with a 58" recurve after many years with 30-36" compounds. I have to remove a limb or two more when preparing a stand and really try out all the possible shot angles.  A 66" recurve or longbow would only be 4" more bow on top and bottom of the bow I'm using. I think you can adapt to it quite nicely. If you shoot it well, take it to the woods!

Offline AdamH

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #6 on: November 15, 2010, 08:53:00 PM »
Brian builds a FINE Bow, didn't know he built em 66'' though, If you like L/B's I'd bet you'll love this length ... Good Luck ...

Offline Tav

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #7 on: November 16, 2010, 01:21:00 AM »
thanks guys.  i have never climbed in a tree to shoot, all my hunting is from the ground.  I figure I would get used to it but 6" does seem really long.  I am shooting 58" recurve right now.  might buy the darn thing anyway.

Users currently browsing this topic:

Contact Us | Trad Gang.com © | User Agreement

Copyright 2003 thru 2024 ~ Trad Gang.com ©