3Rivers Archery

The Trad Gang Digital Market

Contribute to Trad Gang and Access the Classifieds!

Become a Trad Gang Sponsor!

Traditional Archery for Bowhunters

LEFT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS TRAD GANG CLASSIFIEDS ACCESS RIGHT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS

Author Topic: Back tags  (Read 455 times)

Offline kill shot

• Trad Bowhunter
Back tags
« on: November 15, 2010, 09:03:00 PM »
I originally posted this on the michigan traditional bowhunters forum but with very little traffic I thought I'd ask this from the whole trad gang. What do you think of the return of the back tag for a hunting lisence? I thought it made honest people honest. Young hunters took hunting more seriosly with a lisence on there backs. Pro or con, whats your thoughts.

Offline Thumper Dunker

• Trad Bowhunter
Re: Back tags
« Reply #1 on: November 15, 2010, 09:06:00 PM »
Boy out here just make you a bigger target.
You can hop but you can't hide.
If it was not for rabbits I would never get a buck.
Yip yipahooooo yipyipyip.

Online Stumpkiller

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #2 on: November 15, 2010, 09:06:00 PM »
We still use them in NY.  Keeps the backtag holder makers employed.
Charlie P. }}===]> A.B.C.C.

Bear Kodiak & K. Hunter, D. Palmer Hunter, Ben Pearson Hunter, Wing Presentation II & 4 Red Wing Hunters (LH & 3 RH), Browning Explorer, Cobra II & Wasp, Martin/Howatt Dream Catcher, Root Warrior, Shakespeare Necedah.

Offline xtrema312

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #3 on: November 15, 2010, 09:09:00 PM »
I hope they don't come back.  Having to keep moving it around on all the different jackets and coats I use in a season is not something I wan't to do again.
1 Timothy 4:4(NKJV)
For every creature of God is good, and nothing is to be refused if it is received with thanksgiving.

Firefly Long Bow  James 4:14
60" MOAB 54@29 James 1:17

Michigan Longbow Association

Offline Cyclic-Rivers

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #4 on: November 15, 2010, 09:13:00 PM »
I usually attach it to a pack that I always use. I know its technically on my back but I hate having it scrape against trees when I sit.
Relax,

You'll live longer!

Charlie Janssen

PBS Associate Member
Wisconsin Traditional Archers

>~TGMM~> <~Family~Of~The~Bow~<

Online rastaman

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #5 on: November 15, 2010, 09:23:00 PM »
Never had to use a back tag in Georgia.  If we go hunting here, we have our license on us.  
i don't understand what you mean by  it made honest people honest. You are either honest or not.   :)
TGMM Family of the Bow

:archer:                                               

Randy Keene
"Life is precious and so are you."  Marley Keene

Offline Coonbait

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #6 on: November 15, 2010, 09:27:00 PM »
When I hunt out of state it feels odd not having a license on my back. I guess it's just what your used to.
GLENN

Offline kill shot

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #7 on: November 15, 2010, 10:01:00 PM »
Randy, the back tag was a deterant from illegal activity, such as trespassing, walking down a two track drinking a beer, shooting non game critters etc....or you could say it reduces temptation.

Online rastaman

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #8 on: November 15, 2010, 10:32:00 PM »
I gotcha!     :thumbsup:
TGMM Family of the Bow

:archer:                                               

Randy Keene
"Life is precious and so are you."  Marley Keene

Offline Recurve50 LBS

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #9 on: November 15, 2010, 11:38:00 PM »
We have to wear them here in NJ. I've been doing it my whole life and I would feel naked not wearing one.
Larry W.

Member TANJ

NRA Life Member

56" 45#@28" Thunder Stick Mag
62" 45#@28" Turkey Creek Longbow
1966 42#@28" Bear Grizley

Offline monterey

• Contributing Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #10 on: November 16, 2010, 01:04:00 AM »
I'm having flash-backs to 50 years ago when hunting in Michigan.  :biglaugh:  

Never gave it any thought then, but at this time I think of it as a kind of act of bad faith on the part of regulators.  Starts out with the supposition that all people are dishonest and must be treated as such.

Worst such I ever saw was when I was invited to go muzzle loader hunting in Lacrosse WI a few years ago.  Went down to buy the license and the not-so-sweet clerk told me there was a three day wait to hunt once I bought the license.  Thought I heard the ghost of George Orwell snickering over my shoulder!
Monterey

"I didn't say all that stuff". - Confucius........and Yogi Berra

Offline seabass

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #11 on: November 16, 2010, 04:36:00 AM »
we don't have to wear one on our backs anymore,but i still do.i don't know why i do,i guess it is just habit.

Offline Stone Knife

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #12 on: November 16, 2010, 05:03:00 AM »
They always seem to be in the way, otherwise I don't mind wearing them.
Proverbs 12:27
The lazy do not roast any game,
but the diligent feed on the riches of the hunt.

John 14:6

Offline onewhohasfun

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #13 on: November 16, 2010, 05:09:00 AM »
They did away with them in Michigan because a CO now automatically has "probable cause".
Tom

Offline Eugene Slagle

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #14 on: November 16, 2010, 05:27:00 AM »
I haven't had to wear one in a long time here in Virginia, I wouldn't mind wearing one again because it is all part of having the priviledge [sp] to hunt as to follow the rules.
Zona Custom Recurve: 60" 49# @ 27.5".
Sky Sky Hawk Recurve: 60" 47# @ 27.5".
Genesis 27:3 Now therefore, please take thy weapons, thy quiver and thy bow, and go out to the field, and hunt game for me.

Online frassettor

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #15 on: November 16, 2010, 05:45:00 AM »
In WI we have to use one
"Everything's fine,just fine". Dad

Offline broketooth

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #16 on: November 16, 2010, 05:58:00 AM »
we dont wear one in n.c. . im glad we dont! its just another potential noise maker. as far as keeping a person honest, i dont think having your tag on your backis the clincher. resisting temptation is up to the individual, either you do or you dont. shoot straight , ruddy
" you have done well to keep your hair when so many are after it"

Offline Bowwild

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #17 on: November 16, 2010, 06:27:00 AM »
Having retired as a agency wildlife director I found that the vast majority of hunters are honest people. What ever the regulation requires is what hunters will try their best to do. On the flip side, a person intent on breaking the law will find a way to do so and then brag to their like-minded buddies later. One of the best things an honest hunter can do is is not to give illegal actions credence. Some people simply look the other way when a "friend", acquaitenance or family member describes and illegal action.

I've never lived or worked in a "back tag" state but I hunted in Michigan once where it was required. I always figured it was pretty easy to fake the legal look.  

I believe very strongly that regulations should not be focused on corralling the last unethical/illegal person so much that the honest masses are negatively impacted.

Offline DLM

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #18 on: November 16, 2010, 10:09:00 AM »
Still need to display license in Penna.. Numbers on license are smaller so they can't be read unless close to tag. With the length of the license with extra tags, you still need the big holder to fit it all in. You would sit higher on 1 side if it was all { including doe permit } in your wallet !!!!  Before folding, length of the tags I have is 27". That's not all the tags that can be purchased either.

Offline Ssamac

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #19 on: November 16, 2010, 10:36:00 AM »
When I lived in NY State they were required. Not a big deal but I snagged one once and lost it. Has to buy a new one. They seem to get in the way sometimes if you still hunt. Sitting in a stand not too bad.

Not required in IL and MO where I hunt. I prefer to just carry my license.

I agree that we shoudl all encourage people to follow the rules. Had a few incidents this year where people were going to "bend" them a bit. IN all cases they did the right thing in the end, so I would agree that most hunters are pretty honest. I worry about the jerks more than dishonest ones. The jerks can hurt you.

Sam

Users currently browsing this topic:

Contact Us | Trad Gang.com © | User Agreement

Copyright 2003 thru 2024 ~ Trad Gang.com ©