3Rivers Archery

The Trad Gang Digital Market

Contribute to Trad Gang and Access the Classifieds!

Become a Trad Gang Sponsor!

Traditional Archery for Bowhunters

LEFT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS TRAD GANG CLASSIFIEDS ACCESS RIGHT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS

Author Topic: What is an effective way to set up a tripod stand?  (Read 194 times)

Offline highpoint forge

• Trad Bowhunter
What is an effective way to set up a tripod stand?
« on: November 15, 2010, 10:17:00 PM »
I've hunted my last three trips from a tripod at a favorite spot, and have become used to shooting from them. I like that you aren't terribly high up and that natural shooting isn't compromised too much.

I want to learn how to set them up amongst trees effectively and to better hide myself. On my last trip the tripod was situated for a while in a spot that was up against a cedar tree that looked like somebody pruned the bottom like a giant q-tip with no cover at the bottom. I hated that setup and the deer that came in immediately began staring at you. They wouldn't run but looked at me constantly. Drawing the bow was impossible because they were so close. So, we moved the tripod to a spot where we used to have it, with lots of room around it and trees behind it and high bushes almost to your feet as you sat in the tripod. It seemed to spook the deer and hogs. In this spot previously I killed my first hog. This time the hogs would come right to the edge of my tripod leg, just beneath me, and no further. I could have dropped a rock on their heads!

Why did they not like the new setup? Could have been the wind, I don't know.

Is there a rule to setting these things up to hide you really well? Do you need to be right up against a tree or have it touching your back? Should I set it into a tree like a brush blind and cut a shooting lane? Was I too exposed? Need some help here...
Black Widow PSAX Bocote 57# @28, 58 AMO
Black Widow PLX Tiger Myrtle 60# @28, 64 AMO
J.D. Berry Osage Argos 60# @28, 66 AMO

Offline Bill Turner

• Trad Bowhunter
Re: What is an effective way to set up a tripod stand?
« Reply #1 on: November 17, 2010, 01:17:00 PM »
I used tri-pods for years in Texas mesquite country. Prefer to straddle the mesquite tree(bush) if possible. I have 2 seven ft aluminun tri-pods that were made by Strong several years ago. They are perfect in short cover. Most effective when tree is fully liefed out. If cedars are available, I like to cut a hole and stick the tri-pod inside the cedar. Trim shooting lanes, but leave good cover,especially behind. If hunting in area with mature live oaks, I like to set up as close to the tree as possible with limb cover to boot. Oak motts offer good dense cover, especially in the Texas hill country. I use taller tri-pods here(10 to 12 ft.) I will use camo netting front and back if needed, but prefer natural cover. I really try to disguise the tri-pod legs. Break up the straight line image. Can do this with old limbs and something to hold them to the leg (rope, camo duct tape, wire, black plastic ties, etc.) Be especially aware of skyliting. You always need backcover. Deer will spot you in a NY minute if you don't.  Hope this helps. I've killed many Texas deer with these set-ups.   :thumbsup:

Offline Encino Man

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #2 on: November 17, 2010, 01:36:00 PM »
First off, deer are extremely astute when it comes to changes in their environment. I look at it like this. If I came into your house with a stature of; Let's just say Obama. Where would I put it for you to least notice it. In the middle of the floor? Or maybe behind the arm of the couch. What about under the coat rack amongst the coats and umbrellas. If you set up a tripod, don't make it obvious. Bury it in a tree or bush. Secondly, deer do look up. They are looking for even the slightest bit of movement low or high. The more cover you can utilize to hide your outline or your movement the better.

I've heard, that the most distinguishable feature of the human outline is the head. That feature needs to be muted as much as possible. whether it's your camo, hat, mask or the brush behind you. Use it to your advantage.
Fox Archery "Red Fox"
53# @ 28" 64" longbow
Browning "Safari II"
44# @ 28" 60" Recurve

Offline highpoint forge

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #3 on: November 17, 2010, 02:57:00 PM »
We have Pines, Cedars and Live Oaks. This tripod is between a big Oak and the surrounding Cedar trees and is a 10' tripod. I think it needs to be pushed closer to the Live Oak and I'll shoot around the lower limbs. There's no cover really close to me the way it is set up now. I can pretty much hold my bow out like a pointer and hit just the air almost 360 degrees. I feel "naked" sitting in the tripod....

Offline highpoint forge

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #4 on: November 17, 2010, 03:32:00 PM »
Found the picture of me in it....sorry it's blurry. See what I mean about all the space around me? I think I need to push it into the trees either left, right, or back, but theres a slope down into a ravine behind me and the stand is just at level ground basically....the pic was taken from the feeder.

Offline KyleAllen

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #5 on: November 17, 2010, 03:38:00 PM »
highpoint, you def need to push it in further! You will find it very difficult to draw on a deer like that.

Offline highpoint forge

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #6 on: November 17, 2010, 03:45:00 PM »
YEAH! That is what I have been saying! I can't freakin' draw on them! It's been making me nuts for three hunts in a row....they come in, start eyeballing me, then I draw and they walk off. East TX deer are pretty sharp.

Users currently browsing this topic:

Contact Us | Trad Gang.com © | User Agreement

Copyright 2003 thru 2024 ~ Trad Gang.com ©