3Rivers Archery

The Trad Gang Digital Market

Contribute to Trad Gang and Access the Classifieds!

Become a Trad Gang Sponsor!

Traditional Archery for Bowhunters

LEFT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS TRAD GANG CLASSIFIEDS ACCESS RIGHT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS

Author Topic: My first Trad kill.  (Read 607 times)

Offline Bigkid

• Trad Bowhunter
My first Trad kill.
« on: November 16, 2010, 09:48:00 AM »
Well after three years of carrying a recurve to the woods everything came together for me on Oct 1st. I want to thank everyone on here for  the tips from Flemish string Making, Broad-head sharpening, tracking tips, General shooting help and Picking the spot. I am sure there is more!

Now for the story.

I was sitting in the stand this afternoon just enjoying the scenery, there was about 10 Geese in the pond a few yards away.  Squirrels cutting acorns in every tree around me. I texted a few people and the wife. Well as I look around I realize I would be better off relocating to the on the other side of the tree Facing the thicker stuff behind me instead of the opening in front of me. I start moving the climber around the tree and Oops there goes the cell phone to the ground. I look down at it and it is ringing as well. Oh well I will just leave it there and enjoy the last hour of day light without distractions.

Well the sun is getting lower and lower so I decide I going to get down and surprise the wife by being home early. I slowly descend the tree making as little noise as possible. I get to the bottom and Grab the phone. Yep missed 3 phone calls and 3 text, the wife is trying to get me out of the woods early to go eat with friends. Ok I send her a quick note that I am on the way out and will join them for diner.  the Climbing stand is on my Back and I have Bow in hand. I start slowly stalking/scouting back out of the woods. A few steps stop look around for another tree to climb at a later date and check out the acorns on the ground. A few more steps repeat process. I am get close to the Field about 25-30 yards to go before I get to the opening in the fence. I see a Deer standing across the Opening. I stop and Wait, not wanting to spook them.  One deer becomes 2 right in front of my eyes. I am standing there like a statue watching them not daring to move a muscle. I am standing in a fairly clear area without much cover with my Leafy suit on. My Arrow is on the string already and Fingers are in place. They feed and head my way. I am thinking They are going to Bust me very soon so I just stand there. She gets to be about 10-14 yards away from me and spots me standing there. Her head is  doing the Bobble trying to get me to move. I try my best to stay relaxed and just watch her and the one behind her while slowly moving my eyes around to make sure there isn't a third one I hadn't seen yet. Ever notice how white the rings are around a deers eye? Whew, I think I won the stand off as she lowers her head to graze some more. She then throws her head up real quick and looks dead at me. I am still standing in the same position. Well I am debating on trying to Beat her reaction and throw the Bow up and let the arrow Fly. I decided against it and held my position and stance. What seemed like forever But in reality is only a few minutes she finally gives up and realizes I am no threat goes back to browsing and Feeding. That is when I finish pulling the Bow up and let it Fly. I watched her run off with my arrow Hanging out her side. OH NO, I hit the shoulder and did not get a pass through.  Well seeing how I am on the ground already I walk over the 12 steps to where she was standing and NO Blood. I start to think My first Trad deer is going to get away because of a bad hit. I do not remember hitting anchor Drawing the Bow or Picking a Spot. I have replayed this several times in my Head and Still Don't remember any of it.  

I follow the way she went and finally find some Blood then I find my arrow. It is covered in Blood about 14 inches from the tip.  I follow the Blood trail and come up to the other Fence. I am not seeing a lot to track so I look over the Fence and there she Is with her head up still up and A huge Pool of Blood on the side of her.  I have the Flashlight out at this time and spotting Blood was easier this way in the Quickly fading light.
I attempt  to maneuver around to her side so I can release another arrow and finish her. I am only about 5 yards if that from her at this point.
She spooks and trots off into the thicket across the little dirt road. I watch her and get a general Idea of which way she went.  Not wanting to push her I head Up the little dirt road to the truck to get rid of the Excess equipment I am carrying. (tree stand, Bow, quiver, and Fanny pack of calls, knifes clothes and water) Once out I make a few phone calls and help arrives to track her. we hang out for another 20 minutes or so.  We go back to the last spot I saw her and start the tracking Job. Well Thank you for the tips on tracking. I was on hands and knees looking for Blood and checking the path of least resistance.
We tracked about another 30-40 yards and I Spot her 5 yards from us.

Thank you everyone, for all the Help along the way. 3 years on this forum Learning and it has all paid off. I mostly Read on here But I have been here for a that Long. You Folks share a Wealth of information that all one has to do is read regularly to Learn 20+ years experence in about 4 days.

Now for the Pics

50# Bear Grizzly
Homemade Arrows from Raw shafts.
Spined at 48#
125 grain Zwickeys up front.
3 5" feathers
Flemish String twisted by ME :)

Again Thanks for all the Tips and Lessons taught on this forum.

Online Sean B

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
Re: My first Trad kill.
« Reply #1 on: November 16, 2010, 09:56:00 AM »
Great story and deer, congratulations!
Sean
PBS Regular Member
Comptons
NY Bowhunters Association
BW KB X
BW PCH X
BW PSR X
Robertson Tribal Styk

Offline twitchstick

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #2 on: November 16, 2010, 09:58:00 AM »
:clapper:  The frist is always the best.

Offline bornagainbowhunter

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #3 on: November 16, 2010, 09:59:00 AM »
Congrats on your first trad kill!  That is awsome!

God Bless,
Nathan
But thou, O LORD, art a shield for me; my glory, and the lifter up of mine head. Psalms 3:3

Offline Shedrock

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #4 on: November 16, 2010, 10:07:00 AM »
Congrats!
Member of;
Comptons
Pope and Young
PBS
Colorado Traditional Archers Society
and Life member of Bowhunters Of Wyoming

Offline Nole

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #5 on: November 16, 2010, 10:10:00 AM »
Congratulations on your first trad kill.  Great Shot!

Offline rastaman

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #6 on: November 16, 2010, 10:11:00 AM »
Way to go sir!  :thumbsup:    :thumbsup:
TGMM Family of the Bow

:archer:                                               

Randy Keene
"Life is precious and so are you."  Marley Keene

Offline Rutland

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #7 on: November 16, 2010, 10:14:00 AM »
Welcome to the "Brotherhood"

Offline landman

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #8 on: November 16, 2010, 10:14:00 AM »
So, did you miss dinner?   lol.   Great deer and you should be very proud of her and the skills it took to take her.

Offline BobCo 1965

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #9 on: November 16, 2010, 10:18:00 AM »
Way to go! Congrat.

Question, is that then entrance and exit that I can see in the second picture? - Not judging, just wondering.

Offline Cottonwood

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #10 on: November 16, 2010, 10:18:00 AM »
Congrats on your first trad kill! That is awsome!   :clapper:    :clapper:    :clapper:
Member: Montana Bowhunters Association, Traditional Bowhunters of Montana

"I don't bowhunt for a living... but I live to bowhunt the traditional way!"

Offline frank bullitt

• Contributing Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #11 on: November 16, 2010, 10:19:00 AM »
Congrads! That equipment you list, has worked for years. You definetly listened!  :thumbsup:

Offline steadman

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #12 on: November 16, 2010, 10:37:00 AM »
Congrats!  :thumbsup:
" Just concentrate and don't freak out next time" my son Tyler(age 7) giving advise after watching me miss a big mulie.

Online Stumpkiller

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #13 on: November 16, 2010, 11:00:00 AM »
Great job and good read!  Amazing what that little broadhead can do if you give it a bit of time.

Darned scary, in fact.
Charlie P. }}===]> A.B.C.C.

Bear Kodiak & K. Hunter, D. Palmer Hunter, Ben Pearson Hunter, Wing Presentation II & 4 Red Wing Hunters (LH & 3 RH), Browning Explorer, Cobra II & Wasp, Martin/Howatt Dream Catcher, Root Warrior, Shakespeare Necedah.

Online cacciatore

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #14 on: November 16, 2010, 11:08:00 AM »
Congrats,I like your bow too.
1993 PBS Regular
Compton
CBA
CSTAS

Offline kung fu kid

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #15 on: November 16, 2010, 11:11:00 AM »
Congrats on your first.  I also like your bow - looks just like the one I had.

Offline GingivitisKahn

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #16 on: November 16, 2010, 11:13:00 AM »
Congrats!

:thumbsup:

Offline elktalker

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #17 on: November 16, 2010, 11:17:00 AM »
Very cool thanks for sharing.
I can do all things through Christ who strengthens me.

Offline Chris Surtees

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #18 on: November 16, 2010, 11:29:00 AM »
:thumbsup:     :thumbsup:

Offline Bigkid

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #19 on: November 16, 2010, 11:38:00 AM »
Originally posted by BobCo 1965:
Way to go! Congrat.

Question, is that then entrance and exit that I can see in the second picture? - Not judging, just wondering.
the One Hole is the Arrow on top of the Shoulder and it Angled Back Just under Her spine.  

the Other Hole Base of the Neck was a Finishing Hole! Or where she Ran into the Barb Wire Fence! we didn't Look her over that well to figure out which was which! I do know the Arrow went Inwards just over the shoulder.
She was alive when we finally came up on her the second time.

Users currently browsing this topic:

Contact Us | Trad Gang.com © | User Agreement

Copyright 2003 thru 2024 ~ Trad Gang.com ©