3Rivers Archery

The Trad Gang Digital Market

Contribute to Trad Gang and Access the Classifieds!

Become a Trad Gang Sponsor!

Traditional Archery for Bowhunters

LEFT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS TRAD GANG CLASSIFIEDS ACCESS RIGHT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS

Author Topic: How far is too far??  (Read 1290 times)

Offline portugeejn

• Trad Bowhunter
How far is too far??
« on: May 28, 2007, 01:32:00 PM »
I have been doing this traditional archery stuff now for a year and a half, and am very comfortable taking shots that are 15 yards away (knowing that my mind may shrink 20 down to 15 in the presence of game).  My question is this;  How far do you take a shot comfortably ("I can make this shot, ethically and with certainty")?  And how long did you have to practice to get there?  Thanks.
RonP

Offline Deadsmple

• Trad Bowhunter
Re: How far is too far??
« Reply #1 on: May 28, 2007, 01:41:00 PM »
For me too far is anything I am not comfortable with. Somedays it's 10 feet, others it's 50 yds. It's up to the individual hunter and what he or she can live with. JMO
All praise is the Lords

"to get to heaven, turn right and stay straight"

Offline IB

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #2 on: May 28, 2007, 01:45:00 PM »
That hit it SPOT ON Vaughn....

Offline cory hunter

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #3 on: May 28, 2007, 02:11:00 PM »
some days i find im "off" and i need to let a few loose before i feel comfortable hunting, other days i feel that my shooting i so dialed i could take a dime at a hundred yrds lol. Im not sure about you guys but for me its a mind set i have to be in as well as a certain ability.

-cory
theres room for all of gods creatures...and thats right next to my mashed potatoes!

Offline portugeejn

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #4 on: May 28, 2007, 06:38:00 PM »
So too far is whatever you are not sure you can make?  That makes sense I guess.  What I'm trying to figure out now is why I was able to improve pretty much until now, but don't seem to be able to get any better.  I would really like to be confident out to 25 yards or so.  Any hints to get past this plateau?  I am willing to leave the long shots to Pope, Young, and those with more experience than me.
RonP

Offline Van/TX

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #5 on: May 28, 2007, 07:31:00 PM »
How far do you take a shot comfortably  
I've never taken a shot with bow and arrow that was comfortable.  When that time comes I might as well take a photo.  That's what makes hunting with a bow special.  You never know what might happen when you let go of that string  :bigsmyl:  ...Van
Retired USAF (1966 - 1989)
Retired DoD Civilian (1989 - 2009)
And drawing Social Security!
I love this country ;-)

Offline mcgroundstalker

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #6 on: May 28, 2007, 09:00:00 PM »
Everyone has a different "comfort zone" for shots at game ... Maybe ya need to test yourself at a 3D shoot or by stump shooting ... If you are gonna hunt from a tree stand, practice from one ... If you are a ground pounder then do some real practice in the woods ...

I read somewhere that if you can keep shots in the kill zone at five yards then go hunting! ... Just keep your shots to five yards and under ... All will work out in time ... You are at this trad stuff just over a year ... Keep at it and you will improve with the "right practice".

... mike ...  :wavey:  ...
"Be faithful in small things because it is in them that your strength lies"

Offline Landshark160

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #7 on: May 28, 2007, 09:24:00 PM »
Van, you hit the nail on the head there.
Chris
>>>>--------------->

The benefits of a big broadhead are most evident when things go wrong. - CTS

Offline Brian Krebs

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #8 on: May 29, 2007, 05:57:00 AM »
some days are diamond; some days are stone.
I suggest you shoot a couple arrows before hunting the day you hunt; and see if your having a diamond day or a stone day.
  Practice makes perfect; but 'a  mans gotta know his limitations....  :)
THE VOICES HAVEN'T BOTHERED ME SINCE I STARTED POKING THEM WITH A Q-TIP.

Offline Mike Orton

• TGMM Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #9 on: May 29, 2007, 06:40:00 AM »
Ron,

You ask a rhetorical question...How far is too far?  You tell me.  You're the only one who can tell how far too far is, for your shot.  And I damn well am sure that I'm the only one who can tell how far is too far when I'm shooting.  

Last year in Colorado I drew but did not release an arrow on a cow elk.  She was 10 yards past my comfort zone.  It all felt right, except for the distance.  But I own that memory...it was a spectacular moment for me.  I was ridculed by my training wheels friends in camp for not taking the shot.  But it was right at the time and I hold no regrets.

Years ago I shot a whitetail so close that I was worried the arrow would leave the string before striking flesh.  I was nearly kicked by the animal upon impact.  That one was definately close enough.

You care enough about the question and the ethics behind the question to post, however in the end it's a confidence thing.  You either have it or you go get it.  You get it from experience, both at the range and walking in the woods stump shooting.  Most guys will carry an extra arrow tipped w/ a judo point just for stump shooting.  That's why God made Bunnies, to increase the confidence level of archers.

Now go for a walk in the woods and tell me how far is too far, for today's confidence level.  Tomorrow that distance will change.
  :archer:
TGMM Family of the Bow

Offline Apex Predator

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #10 on: May 29, 2007, 06:44:00 AM »
The way to increase your range is to practice, and then practice some more!  I shot well at 15 and would step back to 20 and lost all confidence.  This was for a couple of years!  I finally started forcing myself to shoot at 20.  My groups started to improve.  Now I am comfortable at 20!   15  Yards is a slam dunk, 20 is within my "killin range", and now I am practicing at 30!  Stick with it and don't practice past your endurance level.  If you are getting tired quit for that session.  I've been shooting seriously for about three years now.
I didn't claw my way to the top of the food chain to eat vegetables!

Offline James Wrenn

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #11 on: May 29, 2007, 06:57:00 PM »
Oh I like everything in the 15 to 20yd range.Somedays that is too far depending on the time of day and swadows cast.Other days a 30yd shot is something I would take without a second thought.I never put max or mins on myself.I just shoot when I know the odds are stacked in my favor and do the stepping off of distance after it is all over.Too far under a certain set of circumstances might be 10yds and other times it might be far enough I would not post it on here.  ;)
....Quality deer management means shooting them before they get tough....

Offline Chuck Mullaley

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #12 on: May 29, 2007, 10:41:00 PM »
Van summed up my feelings, exactly.
"I hate rude behavior in a man...I won't tolerate it."  Capt. Woodrow F. Call

Offline 30coupe

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #13 on: May 29, 2007, 11:45:00 PM »
I agree with Van...sort of. I never feel comfortable, but there are definitely shots I will pass on. Distance is only part of the equation. The angle of the shot, the position of the animal, the wind all play a role in my decision to release an arrow. Comfortable? No. Confident? Yes, or the arrow stays on the string.
Kanati 58" 44# @ 28" Green glass on a green riser
Bear Kodiak Magnum 52" 45# @ 28"
Bodnik Slick Stick longbow 58" 40# @ 28"
Bodnik Kiowa 52" 45# @ 28"
Kanati 58" 46# @ 28" R.I.P (2007-2015)
Self-made Silk backed Hickory Board bow 67" 49# @ 28"
Bear Black Bear 60" 45# @28"
NRA Life Member

Offline **DONOTDELETE**

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #14 on: May 30, 2007, 12:19:00 AM »
There is a fact that everyone seems to be missing here guys....the distance someone can shoot consistantly, or even on those good days if you are an "On-Off" kind iof shooter, has nothing to do with the fact those animals MOVE...."How far is too far?" With the average trad bow shooting less than 200 FPS...it is in my opinion unethical to shoot past 30 yards....even that would be pushing it....maybe 25 yards would be closer to it.....the sound your bow makes alerts those critters way before that arrow gets there....whether you are lucky enough to have them stay put, is another question....are we talking ethics?....or luck here? before i switched over to trad i could group broadheads at 6" at 80 yards consistantly.......my bow shot over 300 fps too. it takes a full second for an arrow to travel that far at that speed.....it would take almost a full second for the average trad bow to make 50 yards.....do you feel lucky????

That's why i'm here today guys....if i can't count the hairs on that critters nose i ain't shooting.....period!!!.....

PS: This one hit a sore spot guys....hope i didn't go off too much here.....Kirk  :o    :eek:

Offline vermonster13

• TGMM Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #15 on: May 30, 2007, 12:29:00 AM »
If you have any doubt then it is to far for that time.
TGMM Family of the Bow
For hunting to have a future, we must invest ourselves in future hunters.

Offline Matt E

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #16 on: May 30, 2007, 07:45:00 AM »
I agree with Van and others.If you think it is to far, it is and if it doesn't set your mind to burning you are wasting your time. You also have to take into consideration that regardless of how well you shoot you can't predict when an animal will take a step and make a good shot turn into a horrible one. For this reason, a shot at deer beyond 20 yards is my cut off,that is after I got my head on straght. :)

Offline JasonV

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #17 on: May 30, 2007, 03:34:00 PM »
Deer jump a string at 10 yards too...
and if you want to be completely objective about it: they are LESS likely to do so at 30 yards and beyond.
They are also less likely to be alerted to your presence at longer distances, so are more likely to be at ease, easier to "read", and easier to chose the appropriate time for your shot....

So I still think that placing an arbitrary numerical limit on distance is exactly that: arbitrary.

Whether a shot is determined (by others) to be "ethical" or not will often depend on the result (though "ethics" certainly has very little to do with the result) - if you were successful, you're not likley to hear criticism, miss or wound an animal and its another story.  But criticism also has very little to do with "ethics" - THE INDIVIDUAL determines "ethics" (for that reason, its a slippery word that I try not to use)

The bottom line is that everyone's "limit" is their own.  If you can reliably hit your intended target at 100 yards, and you are skilled enough to detrmine when an animal will be stationary long enough or to predict where it will be when the arrow gets there, then who am I to tell you it shouldn't be done?????

Howard Hill successfully took VERY long shots on game - I doubt there would be a line of people waiting to tell him he was wrong....
The beaten path is for beaten men.

Offline Ric Anderson

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #18 on: May 30, 2007, 06:53:00 PM »
KirkII, I agree with you 100%.  It's not just about the ability of the archer,  it's about the multitude of other variables that can and will happen.  Jumping the string is just one of those variables.  Animals are constantly moving, they don't stand still for long.  There is a point, where no matter what the speed of your bow is or how good of a shot you are, a variable like a gust of wind, or another animal startling the animal, or that single step to grab another blade of grass or what ever, that the distance becomes too far.  What is that distance?... I really don't know, but to just say that it depends on the comfort level of the hunter at that particular time, is not looking at the whole picture.  I will say that most bowhunter education courses teach that approximately 40 yards under ideal conditions is  about the max.  Please notice the word approximately.

JasonV, no one and I repeat no one can tell when animal is or isn't going to move and I will use the word unethical when it comes to 100 yards shots at a living breathing animal.

Offline **DONOTDELETE**

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #19 on: May 30, 2007, 06:57:00 PM »
Ethic's is something that is detrmined my the majority, not the individual Jason. i am a man that shot long distance competition for years. i had a bow that could do the job with fast flying arrows too....Would you say a good "prediction of when an animal would stay stationary" would be quartered away, bedded down, and looking away from you? .....Well i thought so too.....that bull elk was on his feet before my arrow got there in less than a second.....clean miss..(thank God)..But that arrow went EXCATLY where my pin was ..... i could have just as easily gut shot that beautiful animal.....

i realize there is an element of chance to all hunting...and stuff happens....long distance shooting with a bow and seeing animals wounded and not retrieved,is a big reason i came over to traditional archery...There is a lot of long distance shooting going on right now with all these high tech bows..

It has nothing to do with your confidance, shooting ability, or your equipment....every 10 yards of distance you add to your shot increases the chance that animal is going to take a bad hit.... i am not willing to take those chances anymore....i'm a gambler, and every now and then if things feel right...you get lucky!.... But i think it is unethical to take unessisary chances when it comes to making a clean kill or nor.... i'll play cards or go flick long distance arrows at rubber deer or elk if i feeling like gambling.... Kirk

Users currently browsing this topic:

Contact Us | Trad Gang.com © | User Agreement

Copyright 2003 thru 2024 ~ Trad Gang.com ©