3Rivers Archery

The Trad Gang Digital Market

Contribute to Trad Gang and Access the Classifieds!

Become a Trad Gang Sponsor!

Traditional Archery for Bowhunters

LEFT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS TRAD GANG CLASSIFIEDS ACCESS RIGHT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS

Author Topic: Charlie Lamb comes to Kansas hunting whitetails!  (Read 2725 times)

Offline K.S.TRAPPER

• Trad Bowhunter
Charlie Lamb comes to Kansas hunting whitetails!
« on: November 16, 2010, 08:33:00 PM »
I didn't think this day was ever going to happen, We had been talking about it for quite a while be it turkeys or deer. But every time we tried planning it out we just couldn't get together.

Then came the phone call from Charlie " I drew a Kansas buck tag Yeehaw!! The hunt was on and I would do my best to drive him a little crazy for the next few months with some of the good buck pictures we had been getting with are trail cams.

Kansas changed there opening dates from Oct 1st to Sept 20Th a few years ago and that opens up some great hunting with a chance at really patterning some of the deer that are hitting the standing crops while still in the fields mostly the soybeans. We spend alot of time watching are deer in several locations but they soon disappear when the crops are gone and head for the timber.

My oldest son had chosen the deer he would like to go after, He's a fantastic deer that we had been watching for 3 years now and really grew this last year. Here's the first two picks we got of him this year.

This left me with the decision of what deer to put Charlie on. One buck was my favorite and I missed him opening day last year after spending months patterning him. A poacher moved in and pushed him out soon after and I thought he was gone for good. I hate trespassers!!! Fortunately the buck showed back up this year in the same place and was going to give us another chance.

He's a very cool buck with a ton of mass and looks like a Mule deer so we named him the "Mulie buck"

A true Kansas giant!! Now all I had to do was get Charlie set up for him.

Tracy
You really haven't hunted the old fashion way until you've done it from one of these Indian houses.(The Tipi) "Glenn ST. Charles"

Offline Greyfox54

• Contributing Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
Re: Charlie Lamb comes to Kansas hunting whitetails!
« Reply #1 on: November 16, 2010, 08:35:00 PM »
Best of luck to you guys ! Have a ball !
Greyfox54

Offline Killdeer

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #2 on: November 16, 2010, 08:38:00 PM »
OK, I have set this story up in its own window, and it is STAYING there!

Killdeer   :bigsmyl:
Long, long afterward, in an oak I found the arrow, still unbroke;
And the song, from beginning to end, I found again in the heart of a friend.

~Longfellow

TGMM Family Of The Bow

Offline greyghost

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #3 on: November 16, 2010, 08:40:00 PM »
Best to you and your son.

That deer looks like he likes having his picture taken. Maybe he will oblige you with a picture you most want him in.

Offline robtattoo

• TGMM Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #4 on: November 16, 2010, 08:41:00 PM »
Originally posted by Killdeer:
OK, I have set this story up in its own window, and it is STAYING there!

Killdeer    :bigsmyl:  
Yup, me too!
"I came into this world, kicking, screaming & covered in someone else's blood. I have no problem going out the same way"

PBS & TBT Member

>>---TGMM, Family of the Bow--->

Offline Nole

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #5 on: November 16, 2010, 08:42:00 PM »
Best of Luck!

Offline K.S.TRAPPER

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #6 on: November 16, 2010, 09:06:00 PM »
This mulie buck lives in the smallest piece of timber you have ever seen, Maybe 80yds wide and that's why it was so easy to spook him out last year. I hadn't planned on putting a stand up to keep from spooking him out but when Charlie said he had drawn a tag we went in a couple days before he got there and put up a ladder stand.

I don't mind sitting on the ground and being sneaky but I wanted Charlie to be comfortable. What I didn't know was that the landowners had sprayed there Alfalfa field that he was feeding on and killed it the day before Charlie arrived. Dang it man!!

Charlie should be on here at some point.

Tracy

Tracy
You really haven't hunted the old fashion way until you've done it from one of these Indian houses.(The Tipi) "Glenn ST. Charles"

Offline Irish

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #7 on: November 16, 2010, 09:11:00 PM »
Good luck you two!!!!!
Mel Riley

Online kennym

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #8 on: November 16, 2010, 09:14:00 PM »
:coffee:    :archer2:
Stay sharp, Kenny.

https://www.kennysarchery.com/

Online rastaman

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #9 on: November 16, 2010, 09:41:00 PM »
Good luck to you guys.
TGMM Family of the Bow

:archer:                                               

Randy Keene
"Life is precious and so are you."  Marley Keene

Online Stumpkiller

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #10 on: November 16, 2010, 09:44:00 PM »
Holy hickory nuts!

No wonder you don't have hills in Kansas.  All the minerals went to antler growth!
Charlie P. }}===]> A.B.C.C.

Bear Kodiak & K. Hunter, D. Palmer Hunter, Ben Pearson Hunter, Wing Presentation II & 4 Red Wing Hunters (LH & 3 RH), Browning Explorer, Cobra II & Wasp, Martin/Howatt Dream Catcher, Root Warrior, Shakespeare Necedah.

Offline twosheds

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #11 on: November 16, 2010, 11:28:00 PM »
Good luck Tracy!!!!!!!
Bob Lee Hunter Recurve 55# @ 29''

Offline steadman

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #12 on: November 16, 2010, 11:45:00 PM »
Keep it goin Bud!  :thumbsup:
" Just concentrate and don't freak out next time" my son Tyler(age 7) giving advise after watching me miss a big mulie.

Offline Thumper Dunker

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #13 on: November 16, 2010, 11:58:00 PM »
Dang.
You can hop but you can't hide.
If it was not for rabbits I would never get a buck.
Yip yipahooooo yipyipyip.

Offline bowhunterfrompast

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #14 on: November 17, 2010, 01:19:00 AM »
:campfire:    :coffee:
Rick Wakeman
UBM Lifetime Member
American Broadhead Collectors Club

Online frassettor

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #15 on: November 17, 2010, 05:51:00 AM »
TTT...  :campfire:
"Everything's fine,just fine". Dad

Offline Mudd

• TGMM Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #16 on: November 17, 2010, 06:41:00 AM »
If I were a betting person, I'd put my money on Charlie.

It's great that you're doing your best to set Mr. Lamb up in some choice deer country.

God bless,Mudd
Trying to make a difference
Psalm 37:4
Roy L "Mudd" Williams
TGMM- Family Of The Bow
Archery isn't something I do, it's who I am!
The road to "Sherwood" makes for an awesome journey.

Offline K.S.TRAPPER

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #17 on: November 17, 2010, 06:49:00 AM »
We really had the mulie buck patterned at this point and decided that as soon as my son and I got back from are western Kansas antelope scouting and hunting trip Charlie would show up for a early hunt.

We had planned this antelope trip for months but right before we left I checked are trail cams and a new buck had shown up, He's a 10x6 so we called him " Sweet 16"

The antelope hunt went very fast knowing we had some big bucks back home to hunt plus company coming in and before I new it we were back home and Charlie was here and we were going deer hunting  :D  

Tracy

Offline K.S.TRAPPER

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #18 on: November 17, 2010, 07:18:00 AM »
Charlie came in tuesday night the 21st and that day before he got there I ran around and checked the trail cams and changed out SD cards. Thats when I saw the alfalfa field was turning brown and a strong odor of chemicals. I talked to the owners and they explanied what was going on, The good news is the had planted a small new alfalfa field on the west side of the timber but it was just coming up.

The picks showed that Mulie was still showing up but only 9 picks and not the usual 100 plus. He had shed his velvet Sept 8th and was still a very impressive deer.

More picks tonight!!

Tracy

Offline Charlie Lamb

• Administrator
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #19 on: November 17, 2010, 07:34:00 AM »
What do you say when a good friend invites you over to take part in some super deer hunting and sends pictures daily showing better bucks than you've ever seen anywhere period?  "Somebody pinch me!", comes to mind.

I'd tried the year before to get a left over Kansas deer tag for Tracy's unit, but had been too late. I'd have been more upset if I knew then what I know now.

But that was last year and this year I got on the stick early and had a permit in my pocket shortly after they went on sale.
All that was left was the gettin' there.

I'd cancelled my usual trip to Wyoming this year for the sake of my sore back which was still on the mend from last fall's surgery.
Add to that a surgery on my wrist this past spring and I had my hands full being strong for the 2010 season.

With each day that passed I seemed to grow stronger in my back and the wrist slowly came back to some semblance of OK... at least the swelling had subsided and it was pain free. That's always a plus.

Let me go check a few pictures.
Hunt Sharp

Charlie

Users currently browsing this topic:

Contact Us | Trad Gang.com © | User Agreement

Copyright 2003 thru 2024 ~ Trad Gang.com ©