3Rivers Archery

The Trad Gang Digital Market

Contribute to Trad Gang and Access the Classifieds!

Become a Trad Gang Sponsor!

Traditional Archery for Bowhunters

LEFT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS TRAD GANG CLASSIFIEDS ACCESS RIGHT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS

Author Topic: Charlie Lamb comes to Kansas hunting whitetails!  (Read 2776 times)

Offline K.S.TRAPPER

• Trad Bowhunter
Re: Charlie Lamb comes to Kansas hunting whitetails!
« Reply #100 on: November 23, 2010, 07:58:00 PM »
I finally got some picks of the bow and down loaded them. Mr. Charlie will have to tell his part of this bow story.

When Charlie and I had some down time while he was here for the early part of this hunt we talked about various types of bows. The hill style bows are one type of bow I haven't had much experience with and don't know much about.

Charlie said he had made several hill style bows and had hunted with them alot. I remember seeing some of Charlie's wonderful pictures and now he was telling me the story's to go with them. I was in heaven!!

I had mentioned that there was a add in TBM many years ago showing a hill style bow called the "natural" It's a all wood bow with no fiberglass. Charlie said he had made one  :D  and we all know he makes a great bow, Well here's some picks of it.

Charlie can tell you the story of how this bow got it's name. I will say I have never shot a bow as well as I'm shooting this one and it is the quietest bow I have ever shot. I will be hunting with this bow the rest of the season for sure and hope to take a few animals with it  :bigsmyl:  

Tracy
You really haven't hunted the old fashion way until you've done it from one of these Indian houses.(The Tipi) "Glenn ST. Charles"

Offline Killdeer

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #101 on: November 23, 2010, 08:35:00 PM »
Where did that wild 1960's leather grip and strike plate come from? Cool!
This has been a terrific read so far. Is there more? (nudge, nudge.)

Killdeer   :bigsmyl:
Long, long afterward, in an oak I found the arrow, still unbroke;
And the song, from beginning to end, I found again in the heart of a friend.

~Longfellow

TGMM Family Of The Bow

Offline kennyb

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #102 on: November 23, 2010, 09:05:00 PM »
Charlie and Tracy-this story is a job well done! thanks for sharing!
>>>-------------->
Black Widow-PSA III 60"
Tall Tines Recurve 62"
U.S Army Veteran
U.S. Army Military Police K-9 Corps

Offline Charlie Lamb

• Administrator
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #103 on: November 23, 2010, 09:34:00 PM »
Killy...The leather came from a purse my wife found at a garage sale. I had told her what I was looking for and she found this one. I thought it looked pretty cool and different.

The bow has 3lams of actionboo with a natural bamboo back and walnut belly.

Originally the bow was 10# lighter and two inches longer. While I was rehab-ing from wrist surgery last spring I made the bow using only one hand... my left. Hence the name.
Hunt Sharp

Charlie

Offline just_a_hunter

• Corporate Sponsor
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #104 on: November 24, 2010, 09:06:00 AM »
In a busy world where I don't really have 5 minutes every 5 minutes to spare, I'm opening tradgang every 5 minutes to catch up on this hunt. Win lose or draw, I can't wait for the next post...

Todd
"Before you get down on yourself  because you don't have the things you want, think of all the things you DON'T want that you don't have."

You'll notice the "luckiest" elk hunters have worn out boots.

Offline wapiti792

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #105 on: November 24, 2010, 11:22:00 AM »
What a beauty of a bow!!! I have enjoyed this thread so much. Keep it rolling   :pray:
Mike Davenport

Offline Brook Trout

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #106 on: November 24, 2010, 05:26:00 PM »
Have enjoyed reading this thread.  Don't leave us hanging too long.  :campfire:

Offline Charlie Lamb

• Administrator
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #107 on: November 24, 2010, 08:45:00 PM »
Tracy just sent me a bunch of photos to go with the rest of the story, but for whatever reason I can't get them under control. I'll just wing it and hope Tracy is available to throw one in here and there.
Hunt Sharp

Charlie

Offline Charlie Lamb

• Administrator
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #108 on: November 24, 2010, 08:53:00 PM »
It hadn't even gotten real good and light out yet when I spotted movement up the hill and to my left. A whispered heads up from Tracy came almost at the same moment.

In the gloom of morning I could make out a small buck coming around the hill. Suddenly a second deer was approaching from up the hill on an intercept with the first buck.

There was an interesting bit of interaction as the two met. Rank in the social status of the area was quickly and politely established. Shortly one went up the hill and the larger of the two paralleled the ridge above us.
It was the first morning and this buck was not a candidate for the taxidermist for sure.

This was hot stuff and my imagination got the best of me for a minute or two as I pondered the possibilities of the minutes and hours to come.
Hunt Sharp

Charlie

Offline K.S.TRAPPER

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #109 on: November 24, 2010, 09:03:00 PM »

The younger buck was licking the bigger bucks glands.

Tracy
You really haven't hunted the old fashion way until you've done it from one of these Indian houses.(The Tipi) "Glenn ST. Charles"

Offline Charlie Lamb

• Administrator
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #110 on: November 24, 2010, 09:05:00 PM »
Alright!!!
Hunt Sharp

Charlie

Offline Charlie Lamb

• Administrator
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #111 on: November 24, 2010, 09:08:00 PM »
I half wondered how long we would sit before another deer came by. At home it could be over already and nothing much to anticipate. This was different.

In the middle of my daydreaming, a slight commotion up the hill again, got my attention.

A large doe trotted through the brush and into the open above us. One by one 3 more ran to catch up with her.
Hunt Sharp

Charlie

Offline Charlie Lamb

• Administrator
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #112 on: November 24, 2010, 09:24:00 PM »
I barely had time to think that a buck could actually be chasing this bunch when Tracy hissed,"nice buck"!

As quick as that there he was in all his bad-ass glory. I'd gotten to my feet to be prepared if one of the does offered a shot and now I was homing in on this buck.

I knew it would all depend on what the does did and they were quickly putting distance between themselves, the buck and the end of my arrow.

Suddenly the lead doe swerved to her left and headed down the hill toward an area of heavy cedars that is often used for bedding.
The buck was a scant 20 yards back and matching them step for step.

"FFFTT, FFFTT, FFFFFFFFFF!" Tracy snort wheezed at the buck and brought him to a stop, but only for a moment.
He quickly moved to catch up with the does who had also stopped.
Tracy did it again and again the buck stopped to look. But it didn't hold his curiosity long.
Hunt Sharp

Charlie

Offline Cyclic-Rivers

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #113 on: November 24, 2010, 09:28:00 PM »
great post thanks for sharing!
Relax,

You'll live longer!

Charlie Janssen

PBS Associate Member
Wisconsin Traditional Archers

>~TGMM~> <~Family~Of~The~Bow~<

Offline K.S.TRAPPER

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #114 on: November 24, 2010, 09:29:00 PM »
It was another beautiful sinrise and we were in for a great morning. I was really looking forward to spending this time with Charlie.

Tracy

Offline K.S.TRAPPER

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #115 on: November 24, 2010, 09:32:00 PM »

Offline Charlie Lamb

• Administrator
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #116 on: November 24, 2010, 09:42:00 PM »
Had it happened any differently I'd still have been pleased as punch with this little interlude, but the gremlins of the hunt weren't through with me by a long shot.

By all rights the does should have continued down the hill and out of sight. What they did made me suck in a quick breath and the wheels of avarice began to spin in my head... they had turned back our way and were walking single file on the trail that passed closest to our tree.

My primary objective at that point was:
 A. don't spook the does.
 B. try to figure where the shot might come.

As the first doe passed underneath us I had a clue where I would take the shot, but still needed to hold very still until all of the does had passed beneath as well as the buck.
Hunt Sharp

Charlie

Offline K.S.TRAPPER

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #117 on: November 24, 2010, 09:46:00 PM »

Offline Ray Lyon

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #118 on: November 24, 2010, 09:50:00 PM »
Oh my gosh, is this where we stop for the night????  :knothead:
Tradgang Charter Member #35

Offline Charlie Lamb

• Administrator
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #119 on: November 24, 2010, 09:52:00 PM »
I froze in place waiting for the buck. At last the little doe bringing up the rear was under the stand and the buck was quickly approaching.

There was no doubt in my mind now. I knew where the shot would come and it wouldn't be on the side of the tree I was facing. I needed to get turned around as fast as possible as soon as the buck was below.
Hunt Sharp

Charlie

Users currently browsing this topic:

Contact Us | Trad Gang.com © | User Agreement

Copyright 2003 thru 2024 ~ Trad Gang.com ©