3Rivers Archery

The Trad Gang Digital Market

Contribute to Trad Gang and Access the Classifieds!

Become a Trad Gang Sponsor!

Traditional Archery for Bowhunters

LEFT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS TRAD GANG CLASSIFIEDS ACCESS RIGHT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS

Author Topic: Charlie Lamb comes to Kansas hunting whitetails!  (Read 2775 times)

Offline BMN

• TGMM Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
Re: Charlie Lamb comes to Kansas hunting whitetails!
« Reply #20 on: November 17, 2010, 08:43:00 AM »
:campfire:
Compton Traditional Bowhunters
Professional Bowhunters Society
Prairie Traditional Archers
TGMM Family of the Bow

The most frightening thing you are likely to encounter in nature is yourself.

Offline Gray Buffalo

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #21 on: November 17, 2010, 12:29:00 PM »
:dunno:
I try not to let my mind wander...It is too small and fragile to be out by itself.

"Any man who thinks he can be happy and prosperous by letting the Government take care of him; better take a closer look at the American Indian." Henry Ford

Offline steadman

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #22 on: November 17, 2010, 01:41:00 PM »
Be patient guys, I know Tracy is at work and has some more hunting to do, and for Mr. Lamb...   :D    :archer2:
" Just concentrate and don't freak out next time" my son Tyler(age 7) giving advise after watching me miss a big mulie.

Offline Benny Nganabbarru

• TGMM Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #23 on: November 17, 2010, 04:23:00 PM »
Up to remind Charlie!
TGMM - Family of the Bow

Offline Charlie Lamb

• Administrator
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #24 on: November 17, 2010, 08:00:00 PM »
Sorry for the delay guys. Still got a sick wife here at home that needs my attention, but also plenty of catch up with all my regular duties.

On top of all that my computer has been glitchin' and I'm not sure what's going on. I'm tryin, but just buckin strong head winds at this time.
Hunt Sharp

Charlie

Offline ksbowman

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #25 on: November 17, 2010, 08:06:00 PM »
Great meeting you Charlie! Kevin and I really enjoyed the visit with you at Tracy's. I haven't heard the whole hunt story yet, so we're ready when you and Tracy are! Hope your wife is feeling better.
I would've taken better care of myself,if I'd known I was gonna live this long!

Offline K.S.TRAPPER

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #26 on: November 17, 2010, 09:26:00 PM »
Sorry guys I had to run over to Missouri to my daughters after work. Charlie I hope Billie is feeling better.

The picks showed that Mulie was still showing up but only 9 picks and not the usual 100 plus. He had shed his velvet Sept 8th and was still a very impressive deer.

Charlie set the first morning but no luck that I can remember. I told Charlie that your not going to see many deer in this spot but if you do it should be THE one he was looking for.

My son was wanting to hunt for his deer also but the wind was completely wrong so he stayed out so as not to spook any of them.

Back at the house we did some target practice.

Charlie was nice enough to let me shoot his favorite bow "Curly" that he had made and I was more then impressed, What sweet shooting bow!! I thought this was a cool pick because we caught the arrow in flight.

Then Charlie showed us how it was done with some trick shooting.

The man can shoot a bow and we were loving every minute of this.

Tracy
You really haven't hunted the old fashion way until you've done it from one of these Indian houses.(The Tipi) "Glenn ST. Charles"

Offline Charlie Lamb

• Administrator
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #27 on: November 17, 2010, 09:26:00 PM »
Ben... Billie is doing just fine. We spent about 6 hours today running around to doctors and dentists and all just routine stuff.

Anyway.....
Hunt Sharp

Charlie

Offline Charlie Lamb

• Administrator
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #28 on: November 17, 2010, 09:34:00 PM »
The killing off of the clover wasn't a good thing for hunting the mulie buck. The game camera kept expectations high as he showed up regular if not just a little late for me to be seeing him.

At least we knew I wasn't blowing him out when entering the cover. It was tight in there. No doubt about it. The longest shot to be had was a mere ten yards.

I liked the prospects of a close shot but tried to steel myself for his sudden arrival in close proximity.

Tracy... you're gonna have to supply pics. I'm having trouble with my photoshop.
Hunt Sharp

Charlie

Offline Charlie Lamb

• Administrator
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #29 on: November 17, 2010, 09:44:00 PM »
Like any good whitetail hunter knows, you need to play the wind when hunting any spot. Tracy has it figured out for each spot.

When the wind failed to cooperate there were other spots for other deer. I came with a variety of strategies pitched in the back of the truck. Rapid Rails and a hang on stand for anything that might present itself that needed an elevated approach. Tree seat (I really like the Millenium brand for lightness and comfort) and ghillie suit where a ground attack seemed prudent.          

We would also make use of a pop up blind of Tracy's.    Man I've come to really enjoy hunting from them. It's way too relaxing and easy on old bones.  
Hunt Sharp

Charlie

Offline K.S.TRAPPER

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #30 on: November 17, 2010, 09:50:00 PM »
Charlie didn't have any luck that night and my son Tress still chose to stay out because of the wind. I was already wondering if the mulie was going to come back with all the changes so I started a plan B and went scouting another field that we had been watching with a bunch of bucks in it all summer.

Here's a couple of the bucks we had been seeing.

The action was slower with the soybeans leaves turning yellow and dropping off but there was still some deer coming into the field.

Tracy
You really haven't hunted the old fashion way until you've done it from one of these Indian houses.(The Tipi) "Glenn ST. Charles"

Offline Charlie Lamb

• Administrator
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #31 on: November 17, 2010, 10:07:00 PM »
And you could tell easy enough where they entered a field as huge semi circles of beans were eaten away to nubs at each fence crossing.

The timing of my arrival and the timing of the beans was critical and if I had to guess, I'd say I was running about 4 or 5 days behinds schedule.
Hunt Sharp

Charlie

Offline K.S.TRAPPER

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #32 on: November 17, 2010, 10:23:00 PM »
This is a very large soybean field and I spent many nights crawling out into the middle of it setting up and watching were the bucks were coming out.

This one corner was getting most of the action so a camera was set up and a blind put near by.

Of course the night Charlie set in the blind I went up to the other end of the field scouting and this guy walked right out in shooting light. I could have put a stalk on him and had a 20yd shot.

A very unusual double beam buck and a young one too.

Tracy

Offline K.S.TRAPPER

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #33 on: November 17, 2010, 10:49:00 PM »
That tree seat Charlie has is awesome, light and very comfortable. Of course gillie suits are just plane cool and work and we were planning on using it if needed.

We gave the mulie one more chance and I decided to hunt that night in a hedge row next to a corn field north of Charlie just in case the big buck was hitting the corn.

Early that morning the wind had finally changed and my son asked me to run him over to his spot and he would stay as long as neccesary. I had kinda forgot that he was hunting because I was  worrying about Charlies hunt when my phone buzzed and my son said he had shot the buck he was after. Yahoo!!

With in a few minutes he called back and said he had found him, The shot was 8yds from the ground no blind just sitting in a group of tree's for 9 strait hours and made a perfect shot and the buck ran about 60yds.

Tracy

Offline bowhunterfrompast

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #34 on: November 18, 2010, 01:06:00 AM »
Great story/hunt   :campfire:    :coffee:
Rick Wakeman
UBM Lifetime Member
American Broadhead Collectors Club

Offline Guru

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #35 on: November 18, 2010, 05:25:00 AM »
Even though I know about every detail of these hunts, I'm still looking forward very much to reading about them    :clapper:

A lot more to come fellas!!
Curt } >>--->   

"I love you Daddy".......My son Cade while stump shooting  3/19/06

Offline **DONOTDELETE**

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #36 on: November 18, 2010, 06:50:00 AM »
Awesome! I have always enjoyed reading Charlies posts.....OUTSTANDING that he had a great hunt!!

Offline Charlie Lamb

• Administrator
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #37 on: November 18, 2010, 09:18:00 AM »
Here's another couple of views of one of the field edge blinds... this one is "Motel 6". A big ole blind that is VERY nice to hunt from.

Again the timing was off. The beans were getting brown in a hurry and acorns were starting to fall in the woods everywhere.

The blind that had been so hot just days before became quiet and far from the action. We'd put it back in service later in the season.
Hunt Sharp

Charlie

Offline Charlie Lamb

• Administrator
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #38 on: November 18, 2010, 09:21:00 AM »
Just to give you an idea of the caliber of bucks we were chasing here is a picture showing Tress' buck from this year and one of Tracy's bucks taken with traditional equipment several years ago.

See any genetic likeness?

Hunt Sharp

Charlie

Offline Charlie Lamb

• Administrator
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #39 on: November 18, 2010, 09:23:00 AM »
Roger... we're just getting warmed up!   :campfire:  

So far we're still in the early season part of the hunt and I just returned from the rut part of the hunt.
Hope we live up to your expectations... Tracy is doing a great job so far.

He needs to give us some detail about the buck in the above photo.
Hunt Sharp

Charlie

Users currently browsing this topic:

Contact Us | Trad Gang.com © | User Agreement

Copyright 2003 thru 2024 ~ Trad Gang.com ©