3Rivers Archery

The Trad Gang Digital Market

Contribute to Trad Gang and Access the Classifieds!

Become a Trad Gang Sponsor!

Traditional Archery for Bowhunters

LEFT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS TRAD GANG CLASSIFIEDS ACCESS RIGHT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS

Author Topic: Charlie Lamb comes to Kansas hunting whitetails!  (Read 2777 times)

Offline Charlie Lamb

• Administrator
  • Trad Bowhunter
Re: Charlie Lamb comes to Kansas hunting whitetails!
« Reply #40 on: November 18, 2010, 10:08:00 AM »
The days passed with no action what soever. That's the way it goes sometimes and I know that. I don't think it helped Tracy's spirits much though.
We all know how that goes... you invite a friend to come hunt knowing you've got it going on and bam, right between the eyes nothing.

And try as you might to will something to happen, nothing changes. If you haven't experienced it for yourself, then wait a few years and you will... it's part of the hunt.

If this had been like hunting at home where I could go out whenever I liked and even every day if I wanted, I'd have stacked them up for sure.

But like everyone else out there, Tracy and I had had to make a decision about a certain time frame.
It all had to happen within the confines of 5 or 6 days and that's a hard target to hit just right.

With knees and back aching, I sure hadn't been much help carting out Tress' buck. He was as heavy of body as he was of rack. If it hadn't been for that dang cart, we'd probably still be dragging.

Tracy doesn't like to gut the deer in the area where it is killed (neither do I) so that gave us the FULL package to deal with and I'd bet that package would go well over 200#.

Later when the buck had been skinned and gutted Tracy would take the offal to his special dumping spot.

The neat thing about doing it this way is the possibilities that open up for other species.
Coyotes in particular are drawn to such dumping spots and could be ambushed with a little thoughtful preparation.

We spotted this dog working the dump spot one day and he was so absorbed in filling his belly that he let me sneak (?) within "almost" bow range.

Hunt Sharp

Charlie

Offline Traddict

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #41 on: November 18, 2010, 02:13:00 PM »
Thanks for the story. Very enjoyable to read.

Offline DRR324

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #42 on: November 18, 2010, 02:31:00 PM »
My only question is:  WHY is Tracy holding the antlers of a buck like that- when he shot it a few years ago????  WHY is he not holding the head mount???  You guys make us regular joes very jealous!!!!
Pittsley Predator Classic
53# @ 28"
Easton Axis FMJ Camo-400's w/150g RazorCaps

"Dad, know what I like most about deer hunting?  The adrenaline rush you get when you know your going to get a shot at one"- my son Tyler after his first miss..

Offline K.S.TRAPPER

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #43 on: November 18, 2010, 07:20:00 PM »
I love that coyote pick Charlie and I really thought you were going to pull it off.  :bigsmyl:  

That game cart saved are butt's and I have got to have one they work great.

David, I have never had any of my deer mounted I was to much of a tight wad plus I always figured the money spent would be better put toward my next elk hunting trip.

With the kids all grown up now I am thinking about getting some of them done.

Tracy
You really haven't hunted the old fashion way until you've done it from one of these Indian houses.(The Tipi) "Glenn ST. Charles"

Offline erierik

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #44 on: November 18, 2010, 07:47:00 PM »
Wow,great story...awsome deer.That coyote was cool also.

Offline K.S.TRAPPER

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #45 on: November 18, 2010, 07:50:00 PM »
As far as details go we are 95% sure that Tress buck is the son of my biggest buck in the pick.

We started noticing the genetic similarities about 3 yrs ago. That is one of the reasons Tress really wanted him so we could have father and son bow hunters with father and son deer, Ironically both were shot at 8yds and complete pass through and they both ran about 60yds.

Here's another view showing the similarities. By the way he was a typical buck up until this year.

Tracy
You really haven't hunted the old fashion way until you've done it from one of these Indian houses.(The Tipi) "Glenn ST. Charles"

Offline K.S.TRAPPER

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #46 on: November 18, 2010, 09:20:00 PM »
I don't know what to say, Once the bucks velvet dries and falls off the crops are taken out of the fields there patterns completely change around here.

We took a trip up to my old faithful spot at the lake. I thought Charlie would like it up there because it reminds me alot of southern Missouri nothing but hardwoods and hills and I hoped he would like it too.

Tracy

Offline Tree Killer

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #47 on: November 18, 2010, 09:25:00 PM »
Tracy & Charlie...been enjoying the hunt and story with you guys so far, thanks for sharing!     :campfire:
"stickbows, putting the arch back in archery"

Offline K.S.TRAPPER

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #48 on: November 18, 2010, 09:26:00 PM »
He really liked a clearing that we keep mowed and trimmed, The deer use this spot as a stageing area before dropping down into the fields.

During the rut this place can be crazy, scrapes and rubs everywere, It's been good to us over the years.

Tracy

Offline Kenneth

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #49 on: November 18, 2010, 09:33:00 PM »
I'm really enjoying this thread!  That is some beautiful country and those bucks are amazing!!  Thanks for sharing!
Chasing my kids and my degree for now but come next fall the critters better look out.  ;)

Offline JDinPA

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #50 on: November 18, 2010, 09:42:00 PM »
Good luck Charlie.

Offline Gen273

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #51 on: November 19, 2010, 07:45:00 AM »
thanks for taking us along!!!
Jesus Saves (ROM 10:13)

Offline twitchstick

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #52 on: November 19, 2010, 11:46:00 AM »
Thankyou for sharing.   :campfire:

Offline K.S.TRAPPER

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #53 on: November 19, 2010, 02:47:00 PM »
Thanks for following along folks. Charlie hunted the clearing the last evening and was busted by the deer coming in with swirling wind. As much as I hated for him to leave it was time but the plans for a November hunt were already made.

Last year November 5th the deer seamed to have been running everywere and this year seemed a bit early. The trail cams were busy and some nice bucks were starting to show up.

Tracy

Charlie couldn't make it out till the 10th but we still should have some great hunting.

Online Stumpkiller

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #54 on: November 19, 2010, 02:49:00 PM »
If you need another "Charlie" to keep his spot warm I can make arrangements!
Charlie P. }}===]> A.B.C.C.

Bear Kodiak & K. Hunter, D. Palmer Hunter, Ben Pearson Hunter, Wing Presentation II & 4 Red Wing Hunters (LH & 3 RH), Browning Explorer, Cobra II & Wasp, Martin/Howatt Dream Catcher, Root Warrior, Shakespeare Necedah.

Offline K.S.TRAPPER

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #55 on: November 19, 2010, 02:54:00 PM »

Tracy

Offline Terry Green

• Administrator
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #56 on: November 19, 2010, 03:16:00 PM »
:campfire:
Tradbowhunting Video Store - https://digitalstore.tradgang.com/

Tradgang Bowhunting Merchandise - https://tradgang.creator-spring.com/?

Tradgang DVD - https://www.tradgang.com/tgstore/index.html

"It's important,  when going after a goal, to never lose sight of the integrity of the journey" - Andy Garcia

'An anchor point is not a destination, its  an evolution to conclusion'

Offline just_a_hunter

• Corporate Sponsor
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #57 on: November 19, 2010, 04:10:00 PM »
I've been waiting for this one for while now.

Some of the best men I know together for a hunt in awesome country.. How can it get any better?

Todd
"Before you get down on yourself  because you don't have the things you want, think of all the things you DON'T want that you don't have."

You'll notice the "luckiest" elk hunters have worn out boots.

Offline Traddict

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #58 on: November 19, 2010, 05:55:00 PM »
Wow! What incredible deer.  My wife would divorce me for sure.

Offline Mudd

• TGMM Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #59 on: November 19, 2010, 07:29:00 PM »
Originally posted by Traddict:
Wow! What incredible deer.  My wife would divorce me for sure.
Doesn't she knows it's called hunting and just because they have those awesome bucks on camera doesn't insure that you or anyone, even Charlie will get to bring one home to the wife.

Great story and great pictures!

Thank you for sharing.

God bless, Mudd
Trying to make a difference
Psalm 37:4
Roy L "Mudd" Williams
TGMM- Family Of The Bow
Archery isn't something I do, it's who I am!
The road to "Sherwood" makes for an awesome journey.

Users currently browsing this topic:

Contact Us | Trad Gang.com © | User Agreement

Copyright 2003 thru 2024 ~ Trad Gang.com ©