3Rivers Archery

The Trad Gang Digital Market

Contribute to Trad Gang and Access the Classifieds!

Become a Trad Gang Sponsor!

Traditional Archery for Bowhunters

LEFT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS TRAD GANG CLASSIFIEDS ACCESS RIGHT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS

Author Topic: Charlie Lamb comes to Kansas hunting whitetails!  (Read 2780 times)

Online Charlie Lamb

• Administrator
  • Trad Bowhunter
Re: Charlie Lamb comes to Kansas hunting whitetails!
« Reply #60 on: November 19, 2010, 08:10:00 PM »
That last evening in the clearing were as full of anticipation as the first night. The pictures I posted earlier of the Ghillie were taken the last afternoon.

It was such a great spot and I had a group of turkeys messing around over in a far corner. There was always the chance they'd ease my way and offer a shot.
Eventually they had fed over to the far corner and the trail that leads to this clearing. I would learn later that they liked to roost over on an adjacent ridge and this behavior was at least fairly regular if not predictable.

Off to my right a good 70 yards away was another corner with a logging road leading off up the ridge and later would be crowned by no less than 5 separate scrapes.

With my scent trail blowing off towards the logging road I wasn't surprised to here blowing at last light as a deer stood off in the gloom and blew snot and the ugly smell of man from it's nose.

As I folded my tree seat and rolled my ghillie I thought what a great hunt it had been and how I was going to hate leaving.

But, I had hunting back home to do and the new farm to figure out.
There'd be a trip with Randy Burtis, JoeKeith, and Terry Green as well to fill the time until the leaves turned golden and the air sparkes with the chill of fall.

Besides, November was coming and that was the good stuff!
Hunt Sharp

Charlie

Online kennym

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #61 on: November 19, 2010, 08:22:00 PM »
:bigsmyl:    :thumbsup:
Stay sharp, Kenny.

https://www.kennysarchery.com/

Offline rastaman

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #62 on: November 19, 2010, 08:27:00 PM »
Thank you sir!  Good read!   :campfire:
TGMM Family of the Bow

:archer:                                               

Randy Keene
"Life is precious and so are you."  Marley Keene

Offline K.S.TRAPPER

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #63 on: November 19, 2010, 08:32:00 PM »
Very true Mudd, The cameras just let us know whats around but we don't use them to pattern them up in the timber.

I hope Charlie is dragging a deer out about now so I will post some more picks. I got a few hunts in before he got here and tried to move around and change stands so I could see what was going on.

The sign was looking really good almost everywere and alot of big rubs were showing up.

Scrapes were in there usaual places and some new spots too. I love scouting and won't bore you guys with all the picks but it helps me keep track each year.

A couple days before Charlie got there I had bucks running everywere and got some decent picks.

Tracy
You really haven't hunted the old fashion way until you've done it from one of these Indian houses.(The Tipi) "Glenn ST. Charles"

Offline K.S.TRAPPER

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #64 on: November 19, 2010, 08:56:00 PM »
I wanted to show this buck real quick, His name is " Crazy Legs " and he showed up last year. I'm not sure what happened to him but what ever it was it happened to him very early on in his life. He runs around on that leg like he's not even hurt.

One night I could here deer up on the hill and thought I saw horns so I gave a few grunts and got a immediate response. The buck came running down the hill and gave me a few grunts of his own, Alright!!

Then I seen that leg, Wow! thats crazy legs and man has he grown. Pick is not that great because he busted me and was walking away but look close at his right front leg how bad it turns in.

He's been hitting the scrapes pretty hard so I have some good trail cam picks. He didn't have brow tines last year or this year either, Just shows how tuff they are and how much they can grow given the time.

Tracy
You really haven't hunted the old fashion way until you've done it from one of these Indian houses.(The Tipi) "Glenn ST. Charles"

Online Charlie Lamb

• Administrator
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #65 on: November 19, 2010, 09:40:00 PM »
The last picture above was taken in the spot I mentioned that has the logging road and the crown of scrapes.

Crazy leg is just one of several very nice bucks that mark that corner when they come through. The last morning of my second hunt with Tracy I met another one of them.

I'd chosen the pop up blind in the clearing for my final effort in Kansas. Just the day before Tracy and I had removed the old blind that had sat in that place for the last two years and inserted "Motel 6".
Backed into a cluster of Osage and cedar like it was it didn't appear that anything had changed, but it was a huge improvement in roominess.
A guy could stand there in the middle of the blind with all kinds of head room and view almost the entire clearing.

That's what I was doing when I spotted the tips of antlers down toward the logging road. The hill crests between where I was and that point so it wasn't a spot I could watch. I did however keep an eye peeled in that direction.

I could see pretty quickly that he was tending one of the scrapes down there. His antlers and forehead were working the over hanging limb and when his head went down I knew he was pawing hard.

I got my gear gathered and took a stance in the back of the blind. I would try the shot from standing if he came my way.

It didn't take long for me to find out where he would be going as I could plainly see him in a determined walk in my direction.

Hunt Sharp

Charlie

Online Charlie Lamb

• Administrator
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #66 on: November 19, 2010, 09:46:00 PM »
The yellow arrow on the left border denotes my position in the pop up.
The red arrow shows the line of travel the buck took.

He was a nice one too. As wide as his ears with decent mass and 8 symetrical points. As he passed between the two saplings out in front of me and the two oaks beyond that I was sure he would come on past at the bottom of the picture. That would have put him at something under 15 yards at the farthest.

I didn't even get concerned when he turned a little to his left and walked over toward the bordering trees. I fully expected him to nose around a little in front of me looking for a hot prospect. And then there were the scrapes back behind me to draw him in. I waited.
Hunt Sharp

Charlie

Offline K.S.TRAPPER

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #67 on: November 19, 2010, 09:57:00 PM »
Here's motel 6's new home in the clearing. I need a few more blinds this size they are great for long bows.

Tracy

Offline AkDan

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #68 on: November 20, 2010, 07:59:00 AM »
great stuff guys!   Ks is waaay too fun for turkeys I can only imagine chasing monster bucks!

Offline DW

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #69 on: November 20, 2010, 09:25:00 AM »
Great Pics and Story as usual....Hope it turns out well!
TGMM Family of the Bow

Offline Randy Morin

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #70 on: November 20, 2010, 09:43:00 AM »
Oh man what a great read.  I hope there is more coming.  

Tracy...I'll take you Montana Elk hunting if you will later take me Kansas deer hunting!!!

:thumbsup:

Offline Gatekeeper

• TGMM Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #71 on: November 20, 2010, 09:47:00 AM »
Good stuff guys. I'm enjoying this. Great looking place Tracy!
TGMM Family of the Bow   A member since 6/5/09

“I can tell by your hat that you’re not from around here.”

Casher from Brookshires Food Store in Albany, Texas during 2009 Pig Gig

Offline BMN

• TGMM Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #72 on: November 20, 2010, 10:16:00 AM »
Great stuff guys.   :campfire:
Compton Traditional Bowhunters
Professional Bowhunters Society
Prairie Traditional Archers
TGMM Family of the Bow

The most frightening thing you are likely to encounter in nature is yourself.

Offline Missouri CK

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #73 on: November 20, 2010, 01:24:00 PM »
Great looking stuff.  Enjoyed looking at all of the bucks and the landscape.

Chris
Life ain't a dress rehearsal.

Offline K.S.TRAPPER

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #74 on: November 20, 2010, 02:30:00 PM »
Thanks everybody  :D  

love Montana Randy  :bigsmyl:  

Here's a few more Chris.

Tracy

Offline Hud

• Contributing Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
  • 360-921-5779
« Reply #75 on: November 20, 2010, 02:46:00 PM »
Good stuff, nice country and great deer, I can see why you like it there.
TGMM Family of the Bow

Offline K.S.TRAPPER

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #76 on: November 20, 2010, 03:30:00 PM »
Here's a few of my favorite picks wile we were hunting. We hunted together most of the time because I have alot of are stands set up as doubles from hunting with my sons.

I like this stand it puts the hunter in front of me.

Charlie enjoying a apple!

This was one of are stays in the Motel 6 blind.

Charlie going solo in the 4 oaks stand.

I have a story to tell about this bow that Charlie made so I will get some picks down loaded.

Tracy

Online Charlie Lamb

• Administrator
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #77 on: November 21, 2010, 09:12:00 AM »
Looking back over the week long hunt there were many factors that brought me to the clearing on the last morning.

Just the morning before I'd gone there with the intent of staying all day and had done just that. It is such a great spot that I just knew if I logged the hours I'd get the deer.

The old blind was still there that morning and it was cozy enough for the chill temps. A bright sun helped it along as the morning warmed and the light layed it's warm fingers on the blind. But nothing had showed.

Tracy showed up toward noon with "Motel 6" and we swapped little for big. Surprisingly enough, nothing really changed in appearance. We took a break for an hour or two and then into the blind we went for the rest of the day.
It was surprisingly uneventful. Toward last light we heard a flock of turkeys passing just out our sight heading toward a favored roosting spot.

We should have seen something. Tracy's son Tress had set there the evening before and had does and a small (you learn to question that description) buck at 10 yards.

I was off sitting in the "4 Oaks" stand that Tracy and I had put up.

Tracy was off in another clearing waiting in a spot that would show him movement in the same basic area, but out of my sight. Neither place showed any movement.

We were both pretty astounded by these events. When I'd first seen the "4Oaks" location I was smitten. What a great spot it had looked like.
A heavily used trail angled down from "Buck ridge" into a pretty thick area. It cornered out shortly after a short stretch with a pile of fresh scrapes along it's length.

The corner itself showed movement from other directions and was comprised of at least 3 different cover types... classic "edge" in the timber.
Just down hill from the corner was a favored clearing the local deer and turkeys liked to feed and lounge in.

In just the right spot were 4 small white oaks surronded by cedars. A perfect spot to tuck in a ladder stand.... so we did.

Just after that stand was set up, the rains came. We lost a day and a half from sitting out the rain, but looking at it philosophically we both knew that our scent would be washed from those spots we had hunted already and the bucks would likely be making their rounds freshening their scrapes.

We had sat in the double cedar stand in the clearing below "4 Oaks" on the second night of the hunt. We had exactly one raccoon pass by out of range and two does that could have come in range except for an unfavorable wind and the fact that dark had taken over and a shot of any kind would have been unacceptable.

I'd plopped my butt in the stand up on buck ridge that morning but saw only one distant deer that I couldn't identify. I was still optomistic at this point.

After all, the first morning had been such an absolute gang buster start to the hunt.
Hunt Sharp

Charlie

Offline GREATBROWNKNOCKEMDOWN

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #78 on: November 21, 2010, 10:13:00 AM »
Great reading fellas,  and boy those are some WHOPPER KANSAS bucks you have there Tracy!!
Big River 1pcs longbows 60 47@26
Big River 2pcs longbow 62in 50@26
Big River Flatbow 60in 57@26
Dave Ricke Recurve 60in 47@26
WISCONSIN TRADITIONAL ARCHERS
Neosho Archers

Offline coaster500

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #79 on: November 21, 2010, 11:26:00 AM »
Wow !!!

The American system of democracy will prevail until that moment when politicians discover that they can bribe the electorate with their own money

Users currently browsing this topic:

Contact Us | Trad Gang.com © | User Agreement

Copyright 2003 thru 2024 ~ Trad Gang.com ©