3Rivers Archery

The Trad Gang Digital Market

Contribute to Trad Gang and Access the Classifieds!

Become a Trad Gang Sponsor!

Traditional Archery for Bowhunters

LEFT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS TRAD GANG CLASSIFIEDS ACCESS RIGHT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS

Author Topic: Charlie Lamb comes to Kansas hunting whitetails!  (Read 2778 times)

Online Crash

• Contributing Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
Re: Charlie Lamb comes to Kansas hunting whitetails!
« Reply #80 on: November 22, 2010, 01:23:00 PM »
Great story so far and looks like there is more to come.
"Instinctive archery is all about possibilities.  Mechanist archery is all about alternatives. "  Dean Torges

Offline K.S.TRAPPER

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #81 on: November 22, 2010, 01:26:00 PM »
We are working on some video's for this story and plenty of picks still to go.  :bigsmyl:  

Tracy
You really haven't hunted the old fashion way until you've done it from one of these Indian houses.(The Tipi) "Glenn ST. Charles"

Offline Yellow Dog

• TGMM Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #82 on: November 22, 2010, 06:57:00 PM »
You guy's are "Lambing" this one up good. My Wife is starting to get upset with me because I'm constantly checking Trad Gang for the lastest installment   :clapper:
TGMM Family of the Bow

Offline Fritz

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #83 on: November 22, 2010, 07:44:00 PM »
Luv it!!! Keep rolling "Lamb" style!  :campfire:
God is good, all the time!!!

Offline Whip

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #84 on: November 22, 2010, 07:56:00 PM »
I've been saving the reading of this one until I was home on the computer and could enjoy the pics.  Glad to see the story continues...
I'm waiting on the rest!  :readit:  
Great stuff already, no matter how this turns out  :thumbsup:
PBS Regular Member
WTA Life Member
In the end, it is not the years in your life that count. It's the life in your years. Abraham Lincoln.

Offline kojac

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #85 on: November 22, 2010, 09:17:00 PM »
I luv the story but the kid in me just can't wait to see the last picture!  :thumbsup:
Brian

"Hunting...is about the Sights, Sounds, Smells, and  the Hunted...All the hunter has to do is show up"

Offline K.S.TRAPPER

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #86 on: November 22, 2010, 09:50:00 PM »
I'm sure glad everybody is enjoying the thread and were trying very hard to get these video's we have posted of the hunt.

This is big time turkey country

and usually we get shots at some while we are stand hunting but we only had three days of hunting and that was just not enough time I guess. Here are some of them that I saw the one of the rainy days when I went up to move a stand.

There's 2 bearded hens in his group but I only got a picture of this one.

Anytime you have alot of turkeys your going to have a few of these guys.

The second day Charlie and I got to hunt together, Not long after daylight I hear Charlie say Bobcat!!!. While I was just getting the camera turned on Charlie lets out a few mouth calls to see what he would do, Not a big cat but a nice one he went  jumped up on a small log and set down like cats always do.

Not the best pick but the video was much better. No shot and he was about 50yds out but I always like watching them. That's the third cat we seen so far this season.

Tracy
You really haven't hunted the old fashion way until you've done it from one of these Indian houses.(The Tipi) "Glenn ST. Charles"

Offline bretto

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #87 on: November 22, 2010, 10:03:00 PM »
Unreal pics like always Tracy. Have You put one of those Centaurs through anything yet?

Offline Ray Lyon

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #88 on: November 23, 2010, 06:49:00 AM »
Enjoying the pictures, scenery and story.  My only other comment is that we need Terry/Rob to add a drool graemlin, because those trail camera and harvest photo's sure have some beautiful bucks in them. Wow.
Tradgang Charter Member #35

Offline Big Ed

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #89 on: November 23, 2010, 07:11:00 AM »
Thanks for sharing!!
"Get kids involved in the outdoors"

Offline Charlie Lamb

• Administrator
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #90 on: November 23, 2010, 07:59:00 AM »
The bobcat was definitely one of the cool parts of the hunt Tracy!

The way I remember, it was a pretty gray day. Cold, but not real windy. Activity early on was limited at best.
Bobcats aren't one of those animals you usually see coming from a long way. This one was no different.
It was just a shadow on a shadowless day. Pixelated gray/brown movement against a gray/brown hillside.

I whispered a quick heads up to Tracy (who probably would have seen him real soon anyway), and concentrated on the cats movements.
It was a smallish cat and I'm not sure I would have shot him, but I intended to play the game until it was time to make that decision.

I did a short lip squeak and that helped stop him but didn't coax him one step closer. As a matter of fact, I suspect that exposed as we were in the tree, that the squeak had only served to draw attention to the two big lumps in the oak.

He did sit and watch for a little while like they do, then scooted off over the ridge and into the valley beyond.
Later I would hear squirrels going crazy in the direction he had gone. Squirrels don't care for bobcats much and tell the world in no uncertain words when one is around.
Hunt Sharp

Charlie

Offline Charlie Lamb

• Administrator
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #91 on: November 23, 2010, 08:11:00 AM »
I've been stalling a little waiting for the word that the pictures and/or video would be ready to present... and not doing much to make that happen.
   :knothead:  

They tell a story that is at once sad and exciting, of beginnings and endings, of success and failure. They speak of bowhunting the whitetail deer.

It had been so good to see Tracy and family again. I'd had a hard enough time telling myself it would be OK when I pulled out of the drive way and away from the hunting on the new farm that was just really heating up... the best week of the year for me.

But I knew in my heart that better things lay just over the border in Kansas and I'd never experienced the rut in Kansas before and knew that the potential for a great buck far exceeded what I had at home.

Why hunting trips only exist in fast forward, I'll never figure out, but of course it seemed that in no time Tracy I had gone over old times, new trail cam pics,got a good night sleep and were readying our gear beside the truck in the darkness of morning.
Hunt Sharp

Charlie

Offline Charlie Lamb

• Administrator
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #92 on: November 23, 2010, 08:23:00 AM »
We were hunting buck ridge, or at least would be after a short walk along an old logging trail in leaves that seemed to be up to my calves and extra crunchy.

Of course these little marches in the darkness are full of anticipation and doubt. Since I'd never been there before I wasn't quite sure how far we'd be walking, but I expected the worst... fat guys do that!

It turned out to be a pleasant enough walk. The hill not so steep and the distance not so far. Soon I could just make out the straight lines of the ladder stand a short way below us on the side of the ridge.

We were soon off the ground and settled into the two man set up. I'd never done anything like this before so it was a new experience for me.

Light wasn't far behind us as we settled in for the morning. I looked over the area and made mental notes of places to watch. Of course I had a second pair of eyes and ears to help so I didn't expect much would get by us.

It was a perfect situation. The wind spilled continuously down the hill toward us.
Just below the stand and ten yards farther down the hill was the head of a very deep valley.
Anything moving through the area would be funneled around the top of this terrain feature.

I could just make out two trails that passed us on the hillside. One was within 10 yards and the other around 20. There was a third I didn't see directly below us.

As Tracy had said, deer were likely to approach from any direction except the steep valley and that wasn't out of the question... they are deer after all.
Hunt Sharp

Charlie

Offline just_a_hunter

• Corporate Sponsor
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #93 on: November 23, 2010, 08:27:00 AM »
Way cool as always..

Todd
"Before you get down on yourself  because you don't have the things you want, think of all the things you DON'T want that you don't have."

You'll notice the "luckiest" elk hunters have worn out boots.

Offline DEATHMASTER

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #94 on: November 23, 2010, 09:31:00 AM »
This has great story and pictures to show what a nice area you are in.
Keep it comming  :coffee:

Offline Izzy

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #95 on: November 23, 2010, 10:32:00 AM »
Real nice thread! Thanks for sharing.

Offline FerretWYO

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #96 on: November 23, 2010, 10:54:00 AM »
Charlie and Tracy come on now I am not getting much work done waiting for you tell more of this story.

:-)
TGMM Family of The Bow

Offline Huntrdfk

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #97 on: November 23, 2010, 11:19:00 AM »
Thanks for taking the time to share this story guys, I, like others, am truly enjoying this.....

David
TGMM Family of The Bow
PBS Regular Member
Comptons

"People sleep peaceably in their beds at night only because rough men stand ready to do violence on their behalf." George Orwell

Offline longbowben

• TGMM Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #98 on: November 23, 2010, 11:39:00 AM »
What a hunt  :bigsmyl:
54" Hoots 57@28
60" MOAB 60@28
Gold tip, 160gr Snuffer
TGMM Family of the Bow
USAF 90-96 69TH Bomb Squadron

Offline rushlush

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #99 on: November 23, 2010, 12:05:00 PM »
This is great, keep it coming! Thanks for sharring.

Users currently browsing this topic:

Contact Us | Trad Gang.com © | User Agreement

Copyright 2003 thru 2024 ~ Trad Gang.com ©