3Rivers Archery

The Trad Gang Digital Market

Contribute to Trad Gang and Access the Classifieds!

Become a Trad Gang Sponsor!

Traditional Archery for Bowhunters

LEFT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS TRAD GANG CLASSIFIEDS ACCESS RIGHT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS

Author Topic: Possibly Moving to Michigan  (Read 482 times)

Offline Longbow1953

• Trad Bowhunter
Possibly Moving to Michigan
« on: November 16, 2010, 09:25:00 PM »
I have lived in the Pacific Northwest all my life and may be moving to Michigan in the near future due to a job change.  I'm a traditional bowhunter who shoots both longbow and recurve.  Can anyone give me information on areas to hunt and traditional shoots, especially in the southern part of the state?  I don't need to be babysat but would like to be pointed in the right direction.  Would appreciate any help you can give me.  I'm a Christian and not a party guy.
I've heard it said that Christianity is a crutch.  To me, it's a walking stick to use on the path of life.

Offline xtrema312

• Trad Bowhunter
Re: Possibly Moving to Michigan
« Reply #1 on: November 16, 2010, 09:36:00 PM »
Well first off don't come here!  Stay where you are.  :D  You must have gotten the only job open in the state.  :laughing:  

Well there are shoots like Compton and the Mi long bow shoot.  Great shoots.  There are others as well.  Then there is the Kalamazoo Expo in January.  There is a lot of state land.  Private land finds are possible with some work.  I am sure there are others that can help out.  You could also post this in the MI trad organization forums.

What part of the state will you be in?
1 Timothy 4:4(NKJV)
For every creature of God is good, and nothing is to be refused if it is received with thanksgiving.

Firefly Long Bow  James 4:14
60" MOAB 54@29 James 1:17

Michigan Longbow Association

Offline **DONOTDELETE**

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #2 on: November 16, 2010, 09:45:00 PM »
We have the Compton Rendevoux, and lots of other traditional shoots. Michigan Traditional Bowhunters, Michigan Longbow Association, and Michigan Bowhunters are all strong organizations.

Ron LaClair lives here, Fred Asbell, ShrewHaven.....you name it, we got it!!!!

Offline DennyK

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #3 on: November 16, 2010, 09:53:00 PM »
Don, What part of the state are you relocating to? There are hunting opportunities available in southern lower Mich, but it does take time. Are you going to be here during our current hunting season? PM me if you like.
Jeremiah 29:11 For I know the thoughts that I think toward you, saith the LORD, thoughts of peace, and not of evil, to give you a future and a hope.

Offline PEARL DRUMS

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #4 on: November 16, 2010, 09:54:00 PM »
Public land galore to boot. Some is over hunted, some is under hunted. But there is an abundance of public land to explore. I live just about smack dab in the middle of the mit, lots of flat farm ground with scattered wood lots. You will be leaving rain for snow! Plus, southern Michigan is very close to Ohio, Indiana, Iliinois. I LOVE my state! The Michigan Dept. of Nat. Resources site has public land maps to peek at, it will give you an idea of the amount available. No Blacktails though.........

Offline DBinAlamo

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #5 on: November 16, 2010, 10:01:00 PM »
Dittto what xtrema312 said, w/ the addition of the Potawatomi Bowmen 3-D course in Kalamazoo...DB
A&H ACS 64" 50#@28" 3DH Riser.
Strive for excellence....  Not perfection.
"If your not working hard, someone else is" Dentler.

Offline LostNation_Larry

• Tradbowhunter
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #6 on: November 16, 2010, 10:07:00 PM »
Lots of public land, as stated, and a great traditional archery shop just 30 miles south of Kalamazoo, if I do say so myself.
www.lostnationarchery.com
Where "Traditional" means "Personal Service."

Offline Lee Lobbestael

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #7 on: November 16, 2010, 10:07:00 PM »
Hey I live in Michigan! I love it here we have awesome deer hunting and multiple other bow hunting opportunities! Turkey hunting and Bear hunting are also good! Where in Michigan are ya thinkin about moving?

Offline Bel007

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #8 on: November 16, 2010, 10:17:00 PM »
I moved out of Michigan (Mt.Pleasant)about 18 yrs ago.  As far as hunting goes... I miss it everyday.
Brian - aka "Big Sexy"
Compton Traditional Bowhunters - Lifetime Member

Offline Mike Vines

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #9 on: November 16, 2010, 10:23:00 PM »
I'll just echo what everyone else is saying.  I highly rocommend the Michigan Longbow Association.  A finner group of people you will be hard pressed to find.  Not to take away from the other organizations, and there are many.  Where ever you decide to call home, there will be plenty of us willing to give you a hand.  Just let us know what part your thinking of moving to.
Professional Bowhunters Society Regular Member

U.S. ARMY Military Police

Michigan Longbow Association Life Member/Past President

Offline Bobby Urban

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #10 on: November 17, 2010, 05:28:00 AM »
Another - where are you moving too?  What city?  Or where is the job you are moving too?  I am in Fowlerville and that is between Lansing and Detroit and could point you toward some places to hunt.  Welcome

Offline Ray Lyon

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #11 on: November 17, 2010, 05:31:00 AM »
Hmmm the only job in the state goes to an out of stater.   ;)

Lot's of shoots!!!!! In addition to Compton's in June, Trad Expo(not a shoot, but buyers delight show in the winter cabin fever months), MI Longbow Association shoot (GLLI) in August, Elm Hall Traditional shoot in August and MI Traditional Shoot in June (in Grayling, the place where Bear Archery started it all). As mentioned, a ton of State land with lot's of it in the northern part of state and upper peninsula that are not used much.
Tradgang Charter Member #35

Offline Todweelz

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #12 on: November 17, 2010, 07:57:00 AM »
3-D courses all over the state with a shoot just about every weekend in the summer, bunny hunts, pheasant hunts , and don't let anyone fool you state land produces some good hunting just have to work a little, good luck with the move and new job, glad its not me, I hate to move.  Pearl drums where in the thumb, lets do some shooting, Todd

Offline ripforce56

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #13 on: November 17, 2010, 08:20:00 AM »
Funny most people are moving out of Michigan, great place to live if you can stay employed!  
We have a lot of natural resources, and it is a good traditional bow state, as stated Compton, Elm Hall, Great lakes Long Bow invitational, Grayling all fun events! Kalamazoo Expo is a great event in January! I live in Northern Mi, not many people  in the woods on public land until firearm deer season!
BirchBark Rovers Custom Quivers 
Bama Royal Expedition T/D  #00027
Root Target Master 66in 40@28
SF Forged Plus/Carbon Elite 40lb Limbs 68in ILF
Schramm Recurve 62in 46@28

Schramm 62in Recurve 46@28

Offline killinstuff

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #14 on: November 17, 2010, 09:18:00 AM »
Well, I feel sorry for you having to move here. Rent, don't buy.
lll

Offline xtrema312

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #15 on: November 17, 2010, 09:37:00 AM »
Don't buy?  I wish I didn't own a house here right now, but would love to be able to buy one in this market.
1 Timothy 4:4(NKJV)
For every creature of God is good, and nothing is to be refused if it is received with thanksgiving.

Firefly Long Bow  James 4:14
60" MOAB 54@29 James 1:17

Michigan Longbow Association

Offline Autumnarcher

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #16 on: November 17, 2010, 11:06:00 AM »
Michigan has some great hunting, but its crowded. Finding access to private land can be tough, but can be done. There is an abundance of public hunting land, and as stated, some gets hit hard, some hardly at all. Once you settle in, make contact with your county Conservation Officers, they can often point you towards under utilized public land with good hunting.

AS far as traditional archery opportunites, they are many. I strongly recommend you join Michigan Bow Hunters, our state organization, as well as Michigan Longbow Association and Mich Traditional Bowhunters. all 3 organizations are fantastic, and each hosts a weekend shoot/campout every summer, as well as other outings and banquets.

Most counties have local archery clubs, and while they are not trad specific, many have trad leagues. Michigan Bow Hunters affiliate club program is a great source of info, as well as published shoot schedules.
...stood alone on a montaintop, starin out at a great divide, I could go east, I could go West, it was all up to me to decide, just then I saw a young hawk flyin and my soul began to rise......

Offline luv2bowhunt

• Contributing Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #17 on: November 17, 2010, 12:37:00 PM »
You are moving to a great state bud, don't let the others fool you  :D

There are tons of shoots and some good whitetail hunting to be had. Give me a shout if you move here and I'll get you pointed in the right direction.
"When a hunter is in a tree stand with high moral values and with the proper hunting ethics and richer for the experience, that hunter is 20 feet closer to God."

Fred Bear

Offline dan d

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #18 on: November 17, 2010, 01:07:00 PM »
Welcome to our great state !  I live in the thumb, so I cannot help you much with places to go in the southern part,  but as the others have stated, we have a lot of trad stuff going on here, I'm a member of Compton's and Michigan longbow.
Some of our biggest deer are taken is southern Mi.
Dan
Compton member & Michigan Traditional Bowhunter member.

Offline LostNation_Larry

• Tradbowhunter
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #19 on: November 17, 2010, 06:21:00 PM »
I forgot to mention, in the southern part of the state you are limited to 5 doe permits per day.  I hope that doesn't ruin your season.
www.lostnationarchery.com
Where "Traditional" means "Personal Service."

Users currently browsing this topic:

Contact Us | Trad Gang.com © | User Agreement

Copyright 2003 thru 2024 ~ Trad Gang.com ©