3Rivers Archery

The Trad Gang Digital Market

Contribute to Trad Gang and Access the Classifieds!

Become a Trad Gang Sponsor!

Traditional Archery for Bowhunters

LEFT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS TRAD GANG CLASSIFIEDS ACCESS RIGHT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS

Author Topic: Observations from a brand-new archer  (Read 620 times)

Offline Snow and Ash

• Trad Bowhunter
Observations from a brand-new archer
« on: November 16, 2010, 11:10:00 PM »
Hi, I’m new to the forum, and this is my first post here. I wrote this while awaiting admin approval to join the forum, so it’s a long one.

My wife is all work and no play, so I told her she needs some hobbies. She said she liked archery when she was a kid, so I have been slowly collecting traditional gear for her. She has pretty much everything she needs to go shoot, except time. We’ve mainly been waiting for her bow, a Rudderbows “U-finish” hickory English longbow with horn tips, 30 to 35# @ 28”. It came about two weeks ago, and I just finished getting it ready to shoot.

Anyway, because she has been too busy studying to go to the range with me - my gun range is excellent and includes an archery range - I went by myself today. I justified shooting her bow for the first time since it was finished without her by saying to myself that I have to make sure it works ok and doesn’t catastrophically fail on her.  I had intended to shoot a pistol while I was there as well, but once I started shooting that longbow, it was all over. Imagine a child playing happily with a ball, and then you wheel out a shiny new bicycle. Pretty soon, that ball is going to be lying forgotten on the lawn.
That’s how my pistol must have felt.

Before today, I hadn’t shot a bow since I was about 15 years old – and then I was only messing around. My folks bought me a red fiberglass 30# recurve, and I used to shoot it in the back yard with no training.

Today I started out by shooting once at a 4’x4’ target from about 10 yards. Having easily hit that, I started shooting at a 2’x2’ at about 20 yards. I’m sure I should have stayed at a shorter range since I’m a total newbie, but this was more fun. I tried to remember everything I’ve read about good form. After about half an hour, I pretty much hit the target every time when shooting groups of 6 arrows. After an hour, I started shooting really lousy so I stopped for the day.

Here are my observations from my first time out:

1) After the very first shot, I knew I was going to have to buy a bow for myself. Not that there’s anything wrong with my wife’s bow (except perhaps that her draw length is 28” and mine is 29.5”), but because of the grin on my face.

2) An arm guard would be nice to have. I got hit with the string a few times, but nothing serious – I only have a faint pink spot on my arm. I tried to keep my arm slightly bent. I haven’t gotten a guard yet because I am waiting for a guy to make my wife one out of horn. Apparently he’s an anachronistic type and isn’t good with communicating by computer. I’m just going to make one out of leather.

3) I bought a bowglove for my wife, which was too big for her. That bowglove is now mine. I made her one out of leather by using the purchased glove to make a pattern, then shrinking it by 10%. All of this preparation was unfounded. I took the bowglove off shortly after starting to shoot and found that the arrows do nothing to my hand when I shoot off of it.

4) A nock point would be nice, since I have to guess if the arrow is in the right spot on the string.

5) While the emerald green feathers on her arrows are certainly pretty and not all that difficult to spot in the grass when I miss, the next arrows I buy (probably some longer ones for myself) will have more strikingly-colored feathers, say red and white. I suppose if my wife and I keep at it, we won’t have to worry so much about pulling arrows out of the turf.

6) I don’t know enough about archery to tell the difference between a good-shooting bow and a bad-shooting bow, but I can say that Jim Boswell at Rudderbows did a fine job on this low-cost, entry-level bow. It really feels good to shoot. Since it’s the only longbow I’ve ever shot (or even touched, for that matter), I can’t talk about hand shock or lack thereof.

7) Evidently my string-pulling muscles are very weak. I shamefully admit that there was a lot of trembling going on at full draw, even with the paltry 30 pound pull.

8) Longbows are amazingly fun! And I’d better get some lessons quick, before I start ingraining bad habits.

Here’s a link to my “Traditional Archery” album in Picasa, which includes some groups that I shot today. Please check it out and comment:

http://picasaweb.google.com/ashandflame/TraditionalArchery#
"Life's tough... it's even tougher if you're stupid."
--John Wayne

Offline DannyBows

• Contributing Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
Re: Observations from a brand-new archer
« Reply #1 on: November 16, 2010, 11:32:00 PM »
Yep, you're hooked. It's all over for you now. Your life will never be the same again,  IT Will Be Better! Lol! It won't be long until you are spending way too much time on the Forums, and lusting over bows in the classifieds.  You'll be anxious for threads about new bows, for the "Drool Factor", and to give you ideas on your next bow. You'll need a Grain Scale so you can properly weight your arrows for tuning. You'll spend long periods at work mulling FOC calculations, etc... Welcome to the addiction, it's a great ride. We'll be anxious for updates on your, and your wifes progress.
Read the instructions on posting pics, and remember to keep them the proper size. The search function will bring-up a wealth of info from past topics, and don't hesitate to ask questions. You and your wife now have your own spot at our virtual campfire.   :campfire:
"Always feel the wind, and walk just like the leaves".  ("LongBow Country"--Chad Slagle, "High, Wild, and Free").

Offline David Yukon

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #2 on: November 17, 2010, 12:02:00 AM »
Look like you are in, and man you are in for a good ride, welcome!! Good for you And hopefuly your wife, when she takes a break to go shooting!!

Cheers

Offline David Yukon

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #3 on: November 17, 2010, 12:15:00 AM »
Ok, i went to see the pics and video, and man you are a natural!! Good shooting and look like you did your home work!! Congrats and get your wife out there, it's her bow after all!!LOL
Cheers

Offline greyghost

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #4 on: November 17, 2010, 12:23:00 AM »
Welcome, no turning back for you now. You are now it appears have the addiction.

Earl

Offline Encino Man

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #5 on: November 17, 2010, 12:32:00 AM »
Welcome to the wonderful world of Trad archery. Glad your enjoying it.

The first thing would be to add a knocking point to that string. Then just shoot. Building up the muscles will add to your accuracy. Absolutely nothing wrong with shooting that bow while you're learning form. Although the wife may have issues. And like Dannybows said. the search engine is your friend.
Fox Archery "Red Fox"
53# @ 28" 64" longbow
Browning "Safari II"
44# @ 28" 60" Recurve

Offline Buckwheaties

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #6 on: November 17, 2010, 12:42:00 AM »
A suggestion. Get a copy of "The Traditional Bowhunter's Handbook" by T.J. Conrad. A wealth of useful information for someone just starting out. Welcome and enjoy the trip. I have for many years and it only gets better.
"Don't listen to what they say, watch what they do."

Offline rastaman

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #7 on: November 17, 2010, 06:20:00 AM »
Welcome to the gang sir!   :wavey:
TGMM Family of the Bow

:archer:                                               

Randy Keene
"Life is precious and so are you."  Marley Keene

Offline Osage61

• TGMM Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #8 on: November 17, 2010, 06:47:00 AM »
Great photos and nice looking kit. I liked the trad/historic whistle as well !! Your wife's bow is really nice looking, you did nice work finishing it. Thanks for sharing and welcome to traditional archery.
TGMM Family of the Bow
"Pro Pelle Cutem"-HBC

Offline Elkchaser

• Contributing Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #9 on: November 17, 2010, 07:03:00 AM »
Welcome and great job on finishing the bow and all of the leatherwork to date. Very nice.
Like others have said, it's a fun addiction.
No matter where you go; There you are.......

Toelke Lynx RC 58", 51@28”

Offline dirtguy

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #10 on: November 17, 2010, 07:19:00 AM »
Hehe.  Welcome aboard!

:campfire:

Offline buckeye_hunter

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #11 on: November 17, 2010, 07:34:00 AM »
Yeah... you'll be doing this for a while!

Offline hvyhitter

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #12 on: November 17, 2010, 09:26:00 AM »
Go to the library or buy a good book on basic archery. It will tell you most of what you need to know on basic set up and tuning and form to get you started...then you have this forum to explain the rest.
Bowhunting is "KILL and EAT" not "Catch and Release".....Semper Fi!

Online Stumpkiller

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #13 on: November 17, 2010, 09:30:00 AM »
Welcome to the finest pursuit there is!

4) A nock point would be nice, since I have to guess if the arrow is in the right spot on the string.
I'd go so far as to say essential.  You can whip a very servicable one up out of dental floss.  (Google "whip finishing, rope").  You just have to build up enough of a thickness with multiple layers.

http://www.ropeworks.biz/reader/whipping.pdf
Charlie P. }}===]> A.B.C.C.

Bear Kodiak & K. Hunter, D. Palmer Hunter, Ben Pearson Hunter, Wing Presentation II & 4 Red Wing Hunters (LH & 3 RH), Browning Explorer, Cobra II & Wasp, Martin/Howatt Dream Catcher, Root Warrior, Shakespeare Necedah.

Offline beetlebailey1977

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #14 on: November 17, 2010, 09:53:00 AM »
Originally posted by Buckwheaties:
A suggestion. Get a copy of "The Traditional Bowhunter's Handbook" by T.J. Conrad. A wealth of useful information for someone just starting out.
Yep no going back now, you are hooked.  Congrats and good shooting.  Welcome to the forum.  :campfire:
Bowhunters of South Carolina Executive Council Member.

James V. Bailey II

Offline hayslope

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #15 on: November 17, 2010, 11:12:00 AM »
Your goose is cooked!!!!     :readit:  

No known cure for what you have now!

:archer2:
TGMM Family of the Bow
Compton Traditional Bowhunters

“Only after the last tree has been cut down…the last river has been poisoned…the last fish caught, only then will you find that money cannot be eaten." - Cree Indian Prophesy

Offline Snow and Ash

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #16 on: November 17, 2010, 05:09:00 PM »
Thanks for the warm welcome, suggestions, and feedback! I have been on certain (firearms) forums where I was reluctant to even ask a question because of all elitism and flaming going on. I am glad to see that this is not that kind of place.

Buckwheaties, I will look for the book you suggested. I have a small book called the "Beginner's Guide to Traditional Archery" by Brian J. Sorrells. It seems very basic, but good.

Thanks for the link about making a nock point - I'll probably do that today.
--John Wayne

Offline Snow and Ash

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #17 on: November 17, 2010, 05:54:00 PM »
Originally posted by Stumpkiller:
Welcome to the finest pursuit there is!

I'd go so far as to say essential.  You can whip a very servicable one up out of dental floss.  (Google "whip finishing, rope").  You just have to build up enough of a thickness with multiple layers.

http://www.ropeworks.biz/reader/whipping.pdf   [/b]
That .pdf is really good. I used method #3. My string now has a perfect mint-flavored tied-on nock point. Now to make an arm guard...
--John Wayne

Offline Andy Cooper

• TGMM Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #18 on: November 17, 2010, 06:03:00 PM »
Originally posted by hayslope:
Your goose is cooked!!!!       :readit:    

No known cure for what you have now!

:archer2:  
Yep you need to go to an AA meeting...you know, Archers Anonymous...aka a 3-D shoot!   :D
:campfire:       TGMM Family of the Bow       :archer:      

My Father's bow rack is the sky.

Offline boznarras

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #19 on: November 17, 2010, 06:42:00 PM »
I was going to suggest Brian Sorrel's book, then see that you already have it. I got a lot out of  that book.
Mr. Sorrels is a frequent contributor to Traditional Bowhunter magazine, which is edited by T.J. Conrads, so they can't be too far apart!
You might consider subscribing to the magazine, it shows up every month with ideas to think about; kind of a print version of Tradgang...

Users currently browsing this topic:

Contact Us | Trad Gang.com © | User Agreement

Copyright 2003 thru 2024 ~ Trad Gang.com ©