3Rivers Archery

The Trad Gang Digital Market

Contribute to Trad Gang and Access the Classifieds!

Become a Trad Gang Sponsor!

Traditional Archery for Bowhunters

LEFT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS TRAD GANG CLASSIFIEDS ACCESS RIGHT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS

Author Topic: I think it is a lost cause  (Read 573 times)

Offline dposalski

• Trad Bowhunter
I think it is a lost cause
« on: November 17, 2010, 03:05:00 PM »
I am pulling a bow out of the closet after three years of not shooting it.  It is a BBO bow that I received during a bowmaking swap on here in 2007.  Since it has sat for a while, is there anything I need to do to it so I don't damage it.  Break it back in, etc.?  :(
Custom BBO 50#
Samick Deer Master 50#
Browning Cobra 52#

Offline Kingstaken

• Trad Bowhunter
Re: I think it is a lost cause
« Reply #1 on: November 17, 2010, 03:16:00 PM »
Just check the limbs and tips for twiss and or cracks and check the string for frays and cuts....oh and most important if ya married make sure the lil misses doesn't see ya stash. Especially if ya like me and others with multiple bows yet the misses only knows of two.  :bigsmyl:
"JUST NOCK, DRAW AND BE RELEASED"

Offline dposalski

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #2 on: November 17, 2010, 03:53:00 PM »
No doubt.  Actually, we were moving stuff from the old house and she saw the bows and said.  " I really liked when you were doing stuff with the bows."  Not gonna disappoint her and leave them in the closet anymore.  I am one of those guys who likes to try many different things.  Archery was one of them.  I had forgotten how beautiful the bow was, and now I am chomping at the bit to fling some arrows again.  :jumper:
Custom BBO 50#
Samick Deer Master 50#
Browning Cobra 52#

Offline Wannabe1

• TGMM Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
  • TGMM Family of the Bow
« Reply #3 on: November 17, 2010, 04:17:00 PM »
Do not pull it to full draw immediately. Give it a few half draws to make sure the limbs limber up somewhat. Shoot and enjoy!   :thumbsup:
Desert Shield/Storm, Somalia and IOF Veteran
"The Mountains are calling and, I must go!" John Muir

Offline dposalski

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #4 on: November 17, 2010, 04:30:00 PM »
Thanks.  Thats what I was thinking, but wanted to make sure.
Custom BBO 50#
Samick Deer Master 50#
Browning Cobra 52#

Offline Bill Skinner

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #5 on: November 17, 2010, 09:56:00 PM »
Work it a few times with the stringer before you string it.  1/3 draw slowly a few time, listening for creaks, snaps and pops.  Then 1/2 draw, again keep listening.  Then examine the bow for splinters, seperations and other bad things.  Then go to full draw a few times slowly.  Now repeat, only this time,  use an arrow and shoot it from 1/3, 1/2 and finally full draw.  Depending on how closely you check the bow, this should take about 15 minutes.  Bill

Offline Kip l Hoffman

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #6 on: November 17, 2010, 10:14:00 PM »
I think that Mr.Skinner hit the nail on the head.  would suggest that you shoot the heaviest of the arrows that you have at first.

Offline dposalski

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #7 on: November 18, 2010, 02:06:00 AM »
Great.  Will do.  Creaks, snaps and pops?  Hmm.  Is it normal to have very slight ones?  I haven't checked yet, but if I hear one I don't want to start crying unless that is what I am up against.
Custom BBO 50#
Samick Deer Master 50#
Browning Cobra 52#

Offline dposalski

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #8 on: November 18, 2010, 04:08:00 PM »
Took it out and looked it over. It looks like there is a slight separation between two of the lams. They are near the handle and I cant tell if it is the lams coming undone or if it is just the varnish/finish. I got it strung and half pulled and am not seeing any further separation.  I am getting worried   :help:
Custom BBO 50#
Samick Deer Master 50#
Browning Cobra 52#

Offline Jeff Strubberg

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #9 on: November 18, 2010, 04:50:00 PM »
Do you know what kind of finish is on the bow?
"Teach him horsemanship and archery, and teach him to despise all lies"          -Herodotus

Offline dposalski

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #10 on: November 18, 2010, 04:52:00 PM »
not sure.  I wonder if the bowyer is still around on here to let me know.  I need to check my past posts and messages for his name, then I will seek him out.  Why???  Thoughts?  Sand, epoxy, refinish?
Custom BBO 50#
Samick Deer Master 50#
Browning Cobra 52#

Offline Jeff Strubberg

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #11 on: November 18, 2010, 05:45:00 PM »
If it's a poly or epoxy finish, no advice.  If it's a penetrating finish like tru oil or wax, I would rub it down with lemon oil a couple times over two or three days to be sure the bow hasn't dried out too much.  That separation could be from shrinkage, a sign the wood is over-dry.
"Teach him horsemanship and archery, and teach him to despise all lies"          -Herodotus

Offline dposalski

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #12 on: November 18, 2010, 06:15:00 PM »
I guess it is probably too shiny to be one of the penetrating finishes.  The finish seems to have "edges" at the separation. Without knowing how deep the separation is, I don't know if I would trust it.  Any other opinions?  I am sad that I only shot about 35 arrows with it before it was put away.
Custom BBO 50#
Samick Deer Master 50#
Browning Cobra 52#

Offline Bill Skinner

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #13 on: November 18, 2010, 08:43:00 PM »
3 years is not a long time for modern glue, it should be OK.  If the wood and the bamboo were both dry when the bow was built, they should be pretty stable, osage is not very bad about soaking moisture out of the atmosphere.  If the bow was stored in a climate controlled house, the wood may have dried some more but should still be OK.  If in doubt, put the bow in a shed where outside air can get to it.  Work it every day for a week.  Make sure to unstring it after each session.  Bill

Offline dposalski

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #14 on: November 18, 2010, 08:51:00 PM »
I will put it in the garage.  It is more wet there than in the house.  I will work it everyday and see if it grows.  I will cross my fingers.
Custom BBO 50#
Samick Deer Master 50#
Browning Cobra 52#

Offline Bill Skinner

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #15 on: November 18, 2010, 09:07:00 PM »
One more thing, lay it flat if you can.  Bill

Offline dposalski

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #16 on: November 20, 2010, 08:46:00 PM »
So do I cry now or later?  I keep looking at the crack/separation and it doesnt seem to be getting bigger as I work the limbs, but I don't feel confident pulling it to full pull and I dont think I want to shoot anything from it.  I feel really bad.    :(    I think it is a dead bow...
Custom BBO 50#
Samick Deer Master 50#
Browning Cobra 52#

Offline dposalski

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #17 on: November 21, 2010, 12:18:00 PM »
Was reading some more on here.  Do you guys think that I could run some CA into the gap to stabilize it?
Custom BBO 50#
Samick Deer Master 50#
Browning Cobra 52#

Offline 7 Lakes

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #18 on: November 21, 2010, 04:01:00 PM »
Put a clamp on it and see if it will close.  If it does, inject it with runny super glue and re-clamp.

Offline dposalski

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #19 on: November 21, 2010, 04:24:00 PM »
Thanks Mike...Will do.  Gonna get to the hobby shop tomorrow and will give it a shot Tuesday.
Custom BBO 50#
Samick Deer Master 50#
Browning Cobra 52#

Users currently browsing this topic:

Contact Us | Trad Gang.com © | User Agreement

Copyright 2003 thru 2024 ~ Trad Gang.com ©