3Rivers Archery

The Trad Gang Digital Market

Contribute to Trad Gang and Access the Classifieds!

Become a Trad Gang Sponsor!

Traditional Archery for Bowhunters

LEFT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS TRAD GANG CLASSIFIEDS ACCESS RIGHT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS

Author Topic: How long did it take you?  (Read 1458 times)

Offline PatriarchArcher

• Trad Bowhunter
How long did it take you?
« on: November 17, 2010, 04:34:00 PM »
This is my third year of hunting for whitetails. I am enjoying the learning process, but it can be frustrating because I haven't even got a shot yet. How long did it take you before you got your first one?
60" MOAB 55# @ 27"
CE Predator II

So whether you eat or drink or whatever you do, do it all for the glory of God.             1 Corinthians 10:31

Offline Night Wing

• Trad Bowhunter
Re: How long did it take you?
« Reply #1 on: November 17, 2010, 04:37:00 PM »
It took me 2 years to get my first deer, a doe. I started when I was 14 years old and bagged the doe when I was 16 years old.
Blacktail TD Recurve: 66", 42# @ 30". Arrow: 32", 2212. PW: 75 Grains. AW: 421 Grains. GPP: 10.02
Blacktail TD Recurve: 66", 37# @ 30". Arrow: 32", 2212. PW: 75 Grains. AW: 421 Grains. GPP: 11.37

Offline Red4arm

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #2 on: November 17, 2010, 04:43:00 PM »
I got mine the first year... After four missed shots. We are lucky here to have a good population of whitetail. I feel for guys who have to hunt all year for a shot. Just keep at it, I felt like a kid on his first hunt when I finally connected.

Offline owlbait

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #3 on: November 17, 2010, 04:45:00 PM »
First shot, first year. Then many droughts. But it is so rewarding when you get it right.
Advice from The Buck:"Only little girls shoot spikers!"

Offline goldflinger

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #4 on: November 17, 2010, 04:59:00 PM »
"The pain of failure that is so much greater than the pleasure of success" Ian Flemming

I hunted 42 hours this year alone before I got my first shot and killed a doe. Keep after it, and you will be rewarded!!!
Morrison Shawnee, Longbow Limbs- 47.5# @ 28 1/2", 45.5# @ 28 1/2"
Toelke Whip- 52# @ 28 1/2"
Damon Howatt Hunter- 45# @ 28"

Offline Manitoba Stickflinger

• SPONSOR
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #5 on: November 17, 2010, 05:06:00 PM »
The 1st one is the toughest...it gets easier after that! A buddy of mine hunted 3 or 4 years without a shot. I took him out and put him in a stand and he shot a buck the 1st morning. After seeing how I set up and what I looked for he too began to kill deer every year on his own. I was fortunate to be born into a bowhunting family so was "fed with the silver spoon" when it came to getting shots. I'm no better than the next guy but grew up with mentors...just as I was to my buddy. Ever think of finding a mentor? Best of luck..Ryan

Offline Jeff Strubberg

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #6 on: November 17, 2010, 05:09:00 PM »
19 years...

What hurts is the opportunity I passed my very first night archery hunting.  Had two does stop ten, maybe twelve yards in front of my blind and stand there looking around.  For the life of me I couldn't remember if my tag was any deer or buck only!

:biglaugh:
"Teach him horsemanship and archery, and teach him to despise all lies"          -Herodotus

Offline Bobhat

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #7 on: November 17, 2010, 05:20:00 PM »
I'm  44 years old.  I started bowhunting when I was 14.  I killed my first with the bow at age 20 so that would be 6 years.   ;)  Of course as I got older and more skilled I increased my efficeincy.  :bigsmyl:
Toelke Whip
Assenheimer Hunter Deluxe
"We don't stop playing because we are old.  We are old because we stop playing."  Ben Franklin

Offline Mint

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #8 on: November 17, 2010, 05:27:00 PM »
It took mr 5 years of hunting till I got my first deer which was an 8 pt. Then I scored for the next 6 years in a row.
The Constitution shall never be construed... to prevent the people of the United States who are peaceable citizens from keeping their own arms.

Samuel Adams

NYB Life Member
NRA Life Member

Offline traditionalman

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #9 on: November 17, 2010, 05:32:00 PM »
About 4 years
Gary King

Offline ron w

• Contributing Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #10 on: November 17, 2010, 05:32:00 PM »
Got my first shot the second year I hunted,that was about 42 years ago....haven't had a shot opportunity since.....Oh yea, I missed the first one! But I'm still out there looking for a chance to kill a deer!
In the beginner's mind there are many possibilities. In the expert's there are few...So the most difficult thing is always to keep your beginner's mind...This is also the real secret of the arts: always be a beginner.  Shunryu Suzuki

Offline rice

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #11 on: November 17, 2010, 05:34:00 PM »
Was after them for 2 years without success. The third year I got lucky and killed a buck.That was back in 1981. Were few deer in northern Oklahoma as compared with today. I now live in Southern Oklahoma and disappointed if I don't at least see a deer every time I go, in the 80's I was lucky to see 5 or 6 deer per season.
Stick with it will happen.

Chris
We do not stop playing because we are old. We grow old because we stop playing.

Offline Stinger

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #12 on: November 17, 2010, 05:41:00 PM »
My second year when I was 17 years old in 1970.  There weren't near as many deer around in those days.

Offline Cyclic-Rivers

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #13 on: November 17, 2010, 05:53:00 PM »
18 years and going strong.

Of course for the first 4 deer I wish someone had told me about picking a spot.  And for many years I was just plain greedy, looking for bigger horns than my friends. I will be happy with any old deer now, didn't know how well I had it back then.
Relax,

You'll live longer!

Charlie Janssen

PBS Associate Member
Wisconsin Traditional Archers

>~TGMM~> <~Family~Of~The~Bow~<

Offline bad arrow

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #14 on: November 17, 2010, 05:59:00 PM »
Its my 1st year hunting traditional and still waiting. Haven't got a shot at a deer yet but I'm seein'em . I'll gladly take a turkey, racoon, coyote, anything wild!.... Phil

Offline PEARL DRUMS

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #15 on: November 17, 2010, 05:59:00 PM »
29 days into my first season, 3 point.

Offline cleopatra

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #16 on: November 17, 2010, 06:03:00 PM »
It took me three or four years til I got my first whitetail doe. Missed a nice buck on my first year.

Offline seabass

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #17 on: November 17, 2010, 06:03:00 PM »
i am still waiting for mine.i am a good shooter,but no so great hunter.i'll find a careless deer one day.until then,i will just enjoy being out there.good luck buddy.don't give up.you will one day be rewarded and it will feel good,steve

Offline pitbull

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #18 on: November 17, 2010, 06:08:00 PM »
I took a doe my first year at 17. Don't get frustrated learn from your mistakes and it will get easier. If there were no challenge it wouldn't be as rewarding.

Offline varmint101

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #19 on: November 17, 2010, 06:26:00 PM »
I didn't have any deer walk by that I wanted to shoot that first season. Second year I killed 4 does. That's hunting!
Bless The Lord, O My Soul!

Member:
Indiana Bowhunter Association
Compton Traditional Bowhunters
Professional Bowhunters Society

Users currently browsing this topic:

Contact Us | Trad Gang.com © | User Agreement

Copyright 2003 thru 2024 ~ Trad Gang.com ©