3Rivers Archery

The Trad Gang Digital Market

Contribute to Trad Gang and Access the Classifieds!

Become a Trad Gang Sponsor!

Traditional Archery for Bowhunters

LEFT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS TRAD GANG CLASSIFIEDS ACCESS RIGHT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS

Author Topic: How long did it take you?  (Read 1459 times)

Offline ishoot4thrills

• Trad Bowhunter
Re: How long did it take you?
« Reply #20 on: November 17, 2010, 07:03:00 PM »
It took me 3 seasons of trad hunting before I killed my first whitetail with one back in 1997. It was a young doe. Then, one week later, I killed my second whitetail, my first buck with trad.
58" JK Traditions Kanati Longbow
Ten Strand D10 String
Kanati Bow Quiver
35/55 Gold Tip Pink Nugents @ 30"
3 X 5" Feathers
19.9% FOC
49# @ 26.75"
165 FPS @ 10.4 GPP (510 gr. hunting arrow)
171 FPS @ 9.7 GPP (475 gr. 3D arrow)
3 Fingers Under

Offline Huntschool

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #21 on: November 17, 2010, 07:04:00 PM »
I don't want to sound "off center" here but I think Stickslinger made a good point.  He came from a strong, in his case, bowhunting family and understood how to "Hunt" with a bow.  I think, and I have seen this with my students, there is a different learning curve in place now as well as a desire for that quick gratification that generation Y (and some of the back end of generation X) seems to have.  I am not being mean here so please do not shoot the messanger.  This is actually a professional observation.

I come from the same background.  How soon I killed my first deer is not relevant to me.  It was time in the woods with gear I chose.  Even then (1960's in NJ) I was critical of myself regarding my quarry.  

For all of us there have been terrific highs and punishing lows.  Those that stick it out will become better hunters.  We learn from success and failure.

As some of you know, I live in the very southern part of Illinois and am blessed to have sufficient personal land to hunt on.  This certainly, at my age, provides me with a modicum of comfort as regards my hunting.  I have reached the age that I do not have to kill something to consider my self successful.

It can be a long road... hang in there
Bruce A. Hering
Program Coordinator (retired)
Southeastern Illinois College
NSCA Level III Instructor
Black Widow Bows
AMM 761

Offline Don Stokes

• Tradbowhunter
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #22 on: November 17, 2010, 07:27:00 PM »
Deer were scarce when I started as a teenager, and just seeing tracks was worth talking about. Actually seeing a deer made the season! I don't remember how many years it took me to get a shot, but I missed several times before finally killing a spike with a recurve when I was in my 20's, I think 13 years after I started. I enjoyed every hunt! I've killed my share of deer and a couple of elk since then, but that first spike I will never forget. The details of that morning are still sharp in my memory, nearly 40 years later.

Hang in there, your time will come.
Those who would give up essential liberty to purchase a little temporary safety deserve neither liberty nor safety.- Ben Franklin

Offline Wannabe1

• TGMM Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
  • TGMM Family of the Bow
« Reply #23 on: November 17, 2010, 07:30:00 PM »
I'm 42, started when I was 14 and have yet to harvest my first deer period. Now mind you, I haven't hunted every year since 14 but, have put in a good number of years and refuse to do it with a gun!    :thumbsup:
Desert Shield/Storm, Somalia and IOF Veteran
"The Mountains are calling and, I must go!" John Muir

Offline beetlebailey1977

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #24 on: November 17, 2010, 07:41:00 PM »
Still working on mine.
Bowhunters of South Carolina Executive Council Member.

James V. Bailey II

Offline erierik

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #25 on: November 17, 2010, 07:56:00 PM »
Shot 1st deer after 2 seasons with compound back 25 yr.s ago,.Started back with recurve late last fall and missed a close shot.This year no shots yet.My son has killed 2 does and my cousin 2 does from my stand with a combined 2hrs of sit time between them.I have been in that stand at least 15 hr.s and have yet to see one from that stand.Thats how it goes sometimes.I have seen a lot of deer from my other stand but just have'nt had a good shot oppurtunity.

Offline Bill Kissner

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #26 on: November 17, 2010, 08:07:00 PM »
Our modern day deer season started in my county in 1964 which was my first year to bowhunt them. I killed my first in 1969 with my new Bear takedown. It was something to just see a deer in those days. I would go a whole season and see maybe 6 or 8 deer.
Time spent alone in the woods puts you closer to God.

"Can't" never accomplished anything.

Offline Cootling

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #27 on: November 17, 2010, 08:52:00 PM »
Same as Night Wing.  Started at 14, shot my first at 16 with an old Allen compound.  That was 30 years ago.  

Don't get discouraged.  If it helps... my attitude is that I bowhunt to collect experiences, not antlers.

I have a buddy who bowhunted off-and-on for >20 years before he killed his first deer with me in the Blue Mountains of Washington.  To date, it's the only deer he has taken... but man, have we had some good times!

Offline huskyarcher

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #28 on: November 17, 2010, 09:21:00 PM »
I got a doe my 3rd time out with my recurve when i was 15 or 16. Man whata rush. Hooked me for life!!!
------------
Dalton Lewis

Psalm 37:4- "Delight thyself also in the Lord:and he shall give thee the desires of thine heart."

Offline greyghost

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #29 on: November 17, 2010, 09:32:00 PM »
I was 12 years old in 1961, first year bow hunting (lucky, it was a little spike). Was shooting the bow for 4 years prior. PA you had to be 12 to hunt.

Offline m laughlin

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #30 on: November 17, 2010, 09:47:00 PM »
wow! who cares!everthing is relative. tommorow-the next day-the day after that- the day after that. life is good if your chas'in. it can't get any better.
matt
"what your eyes ain't seen, your hands ain't touched,and your life ain't done ain't always safe for such easy judgement."-C.M. Sackett

Offline stykbow67

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #31 on: November 17, 2010, 09:58:00 PM »
I think it took me 3yrs. to get my first trad deer, It was a mulie doe off the ground and i'll never forget it! My 15yr son scored his 1st bow killed deer this year and with a bow i made for him, It took him 3yrs also. So be patient it'll happen and the wait will be worth it!

Offline Thumper Dunker

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #32 on: November 17, 2010, 10:04:00 PM »
Still trying for my first trad deer. Three years realy trying.
You can hop but you can't hide.
If it was not for rabbits I would never get a buck.
Yip yipahooooo yipyipyip.

Offline Kip l Hoffman

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #33 on: November 17, 2010, 10:12:00 PM »
I got mine the first year, but it was after 30 days of morning and evening hunting
AND i owned the land.
There were very few deer in our part of the county.  be sure to hunt the best parts of what ever land you can hunt on.  really do your home work and scouting the area.  Hnag in there it will be worth it.

Offline greyghost

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #34 on: November 17, 2010, 10:21:00 PM »
Originally posted by m laughlin:
wow! who cares!everthing is relative. tommorow-the next day-the day after that- the day after that. life is good if your chas'in. it can't get any better.
matt
Relative only if you can chase the next day or were unable to for a few years due to injury and are lucky to be getting back into it.

Other then that memories are precious and sometimes all some have.

Online South MS Bowhunter

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #35 on: November 17, 2010, 10:23:00 PM »
9+ never give up your day will come! Be patient, here my story.

http://tradgang.com/noncgi/ultimatebb.php?ubb=get_topic;f=1;t=095692#000000
Everything I have and have become is due to the Lord and his great mercy.

Offline Blackstick

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #36 on: November 18, 2010, 10:57:00 AM »
13 years.

Offline YORNOC

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #37 on: November 18, 2010, 11:48:00 AM »
Five grueling years. Then I learned a valuable lesson. Go where there are more deer. Presto!
David M. Conroy

Offline bear1336

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #38 on: November 18, 2010, 01:03:00 PM »
2 years
Life is not a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving safely in a well preserved body, but rather to skid in broadside thoroughly used up, totally worn out, with bible in hand and loudly proclaim...WOW...What a Ride!!!

Offline joe ashton

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #39 on: November 18, 2010, 03:21:00 PM »
a couple of years for the  first one.  then I went 4 years before the next one... But after that I've been very consistent.
Joe Ashton,D.C.
 pronghorn long bow  54#
 black widow long bow 55#
 21 century long bow 55#
 big horn recurve  58#

Users currently browsing this topic:

Contact Us | Trad Gang.com © | User Agreement

Copyright 2003 thru 2024 ~ Trad Gang.com ©