3Rivers Archery

The Trad Gang Digital Market

Contribute to Trad Gang and Access the Classifieds!

Become a Trad Gang Sponsor!

Traditional Archery for Bowhunters

LEFT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS TRAD GANG CLASSIFIEDS ACCESS RIGHT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS

Author Topic: How long did it take you?  (Read 1461 times)

Offline **DONOTDELETE**

• Trad Bowhunter
Re: How long did it take you?
« Reply #40 on: November 18, 2010, 04:05:00 PM »
I missed a deer my first year ( I was 12) and killed one my 3rd season when I was 14. I didn't kill another one until I was 22 (I did lose 3 years of hunting while in the Army).After that it kind of cam together.

Learning is good, take your time, don't worry about it. Stressing to kill a deer will cause you to take dumb shots.

Offline bornagainbowhunter

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #41 on: November 18, 2010, 04:08:00 PM »
I killed on the first season I hunted with a stick bow, but I had hunted only with a bow for about 3 or 4 years before that.  I guess I sorta' had an advantage over someone going for guns to sticks.

God Bless,
Nathan
But thou, O LORD, art a shield for me; my glory, and the lifter up of mine head. Psalms 3:3

Offline Tim Fishell

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #42 on: November 18, 2010, 04:16:00 PM »
I started hunting when I was 12.  I am 28 now and am still waiting for my first deer with a bow.  I come from a hunting family.  My dad has bowhunted his whole life and he or I have never owned a compound.  So for me it's been 16 years.
Dreams can not be bought; they are free to those who have lived. -Mike Mitten

We must go beyond the textbooks, go out into the untrodden depths of the wilderness & travel & explore & tell the world the glories of our journey

TGMM Family of the Bow

Offline BFinegan

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #43 on: November 18, 2010, 04:33:00 PM »
One year after I started shooting traditional. Never shot one with the compound. Been in a drought the last few years but that's more a function of changed venue(fewer deer) than anything else.
"Ships in Harbor are safe, but that is not what Ships were made for"

Offline Mr.Magoo

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #44 on: November 18, 2010, 05:17:00 PM »
My hat's off to you guys who've been trying/or tried so long.

My first bowhunting year I used a compound for half the season, decided I didn't like it, and switched to a longbow.  Missed a couple of shots and had tag soup.

Scored my second season after I figured-out where the deer actually are, and have been pretty consistent since.

Offline **DONOTDELETE**

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #45 on: November 18, 2010, 05:29:00 PM »
Tim....you gotta come down and sit in one of my stands in Howell....I'm getting tired of dragging   :thumbsup:

Offline Al Natural

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #46 on: November 18, 2010, 09:12:00 PM »
Four years, started bow hunting for deer when I was 13 years old. Killed my first deer 10-17-84.  Very few deer in my neck of the woods when I started hunting.  
Al

Offline swamper

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #47 on: November 19, 2010, 03:21:00 PM »
started at 10 years old, not till 14 with my bow,so 4 years.that picking a spot thing to remember was tough on me.

Offline Ray Hammond

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #48 on: November 19, 2010, 03:29:00 PM »
the most difficult thing is learning to deal with the wind.

If you can play the wind correctly, you will have success sooner than later.

If you just sit in a tree where deer walk, it may take a while.

Not being a smart aleck- that's the voice of experience speaking there bud!
“Courageous, untroubled, mocking and violent-that is what Wisdom wants us to be. Wisdom is a woman, and loves only a warrior.” - Friedrich Nietzsche

Offline Tim Fishell

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #49 on: November 19, 2010, 03:29:00 PM »
Roger, I have heard that from everybody.  Then after I hunt with them they end up thinking I am cursed.  Sometimes I think I may be!!   :smileystooges:
Dreams can not be bought; they are free to those who have lived. -Mike Mitten

We must go beyond the textbooks, go out into the untrodden depths of the wilderness & travel & explore & tell the world the glories of our journey

TGMM Family of the Bow

Offline lovethehunt

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #50 on: November 19, 2010, 03:39:00 PM »
I shot a doe the very first year and lost her. It took 3 more years to get the job done. Then next couple were over a 4-5yr time, all with wheels. I switched to a recurve in 1994 and found it made me a better hunter. In 2006 I went to using long bows that I make. I now have lost count as to how many. I know three this year.

If you can find a good mentor it makes a big difference. I our my success to others.

One the other hand, my dad is now 68 and has not shot a deer with his bow ever to my knowledge, he loves to go out though and we get spend time together. I think that is being very successful.

Offline jamesh76

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #51 on: November 20, 2010, 04:17:00 PM »
4th time out and it took 3 shots at the same deer.
-------------------------------
James Haney
Spring Hill, KS
_ _ _ _ _ ______ _  _  _  _  _
USMC Infantry 1996-2001
1st Marine Division
-------------------------------

Offline dalealex

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #52 on: November 20, 2010, 07:15:00 PM »
16 years and I loved every minute of it.  I've been bow hunting for 46 years now and have taken Whitetails, Mule Deer, Elk and small game and I'm at a point where killing is not the real reason I'm out there.  

I just love sitting in a tree stand and watching the sunrise and seeing game in natural settings.  Earlier this year I had several hundred geese, trumpeter swans, bald eagles, several does, two small bucks and many other animals pass within close range on a single morning.  What could be better?

Offline Ranger58

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #53 on: November 23, 2010, 09:15:00 AM »
TTT, love hearing everyone's stories!
Stickbows, Sidelocks and Flyrods, anything to make it more of a challenge!

Bear Kodiak 50@28 “the girl”
Palmer Classic w/ 50@28 and 56@27 limbs
58 Kodiak 45@28
Kodiak 59'er 50@28
1958 Pearson Hunter dual shelf 45@28
and my original longbow I used as a kid.

Offline Wolfie2nd

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #54 on: November 23, 2010, 09:27:00 AM »
It took me 4 years I started at 16 finally got one at 20 its a though learning process if you don't have a mentor. Being persistent pays off and you will go through slumps and don't get down on yourself.

Offline Bowwild

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #55 on: November 23, 2010, 09:48:00 AM »
I killed the first live deer I ever saw when I was 16 years old on my first bowhunt for deer in Brown County, Indiana. I had been in the deer stand for about 90 minutes of the opening day's evening hunt. I was shooting a Ben Pearson Couger: 62", 45#.  I was a rh archer in those days. The deer was a 5-point at 15 yards.  The only skill involved was my shooting ability (I had been warming up on Chipmunks and refrigerator boxes since age 13) and my ability to be really still in the stand.   It took me three years to repeat the feat.

The most important revelation I've learned in subsequent years has been to not overhunt a stand. Whether I knew it or not, I educated deer about my presence and after a few hunts from the same stand sightings began to fall to near zero. Keeping a diary of daily activity over a 2-year period taught me this and more.

This year I violated that rule quite often as 2 of my 7 stand locations are favorites. I've killed two deer with my recurve from the same stand this year but nearly 2 months between these shots.

The deer herd in Indiana in 1969 was about 1/20th the level it is today. They were unheard of near Richmond, IN where I grew up.

Offline Bowwild

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #56 on: November 23, 2010, 09:51:00 AM »
By the way, those early experiences directed the course of  my life. Wildlife education, wildlife career, retired from wildlife profession in 2007 and am now a full-time archer. I've been a bowhunter longer than any other "title".

Offline thunder1

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #57 on: November 23, 2010, 03:36:00 PM »
It took me one year. I was learning a new piece of land at the time.
No man ever stood so tall as when he stooped to help a child

David

Offline Toklat1

• TGMM Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #58 on: November 23, 2010, 03:40:00 PM »
This is my 5th year and still haven't put one down. I got a shot at a magnificent 8 pointer at McAlister last year and missed!  :banghead:
Mark Griffin
USAF Retired
1981-2001

"When a Man comes to the mountains, He comes home." John Muir

TGMM Family of the Bow

Offline mcgroundstalker

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #59 on: November 23, 2010, 07:27:00 PM »
I'm at it almost eight years and lovin' every minute of it. Didn't kill one yet, but stalking and still hunting with trad gear is as tough as it gets!

... mike ...
"Be faithful in small things because it is in them that your strength lies"

Users currently browsing this topic:

Contact Us | Trad Gang.com © | User Agreement

Copyright 2003 thru 2024 ~ Trad Gang.com ©