3Rivers Archery

The Trad Gang Digital Market

Contribute to Trad Gang and Access the Classifieds!

Become a Trad Gang Sponsor!

Traditional Archery for Bowhunters

LEFT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS TRAD GANG CLASSIFIEDS ACCESS RIGHT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS

Author Topic: How long did it take you?  (Read 858 times)

Offline PatriarchArcher

• Trad Bowhunter
How long did it take you?
« on: November 17, 2010, 04:35:00 PM »
This is my third year of hunting for whitetails. I am enjoying the learning process, but it can be frustrating because I haven't even got a shot yet. How long did it take you before you got your first one?
60" MOAB 55# @ 27"
CE Predator II

So whether you eat or drink or whatever you do, do it all for the glory of God.             1 Corinthians 10:31

Online Stumpkiller

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
Re: How long did it take you?
« Reply #1 on: November 17, 2010, 04:37:00 PM »
Five years of ground hunting.  

Six hours in a tree-stand.    :biglaugh:
Charlie P. }}===]> A.B.C.C.

Bear Kodiak & K. Hunter, D. Palmer Hunter, Ben Pearson Hunter, Wing Presentation II & 4 Red Wing Hunters (LH & 3 RH), Browning Explorer, Cobra II & Wasp, Martin/Howatt Dream Catcher, Root Warrior, Shakespeare Necedah.

Offline ron w

• Contributing Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #2 on: November 17, 2010, 05:35:00 PM »
I replied to the first post......
In the beginner's mind there are many possibilities. In the expert's there are few...So the most difficult thing is always to keep your beginner's mind...This is also the real secret of the arts: always be a beginner.  Shunryu Suzuki

Offline elknutz

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #3 on: November 17, 2010, 05:43:00 PM »
1st season, was on the ground.  Proof its better to be lucky than good sometimes.
"There is no excellence in archery without great labor" - Maurice Thompson
"I avoid anything that make my dogs gag" - Dusty Nethery

Offline Last of the Breed

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #4 on: November 17, 2010, 05:48:00 PM »
2nd full season of trad, on the ground.  Put in a lot of hours.  Really depends on the type of property you are hunting.  Now I'm on public grounds and just seeing deer is a challenge.
1 John 1:7  , and the blood
of Jesus Christ His Son cleanses us from all sin

Offline dirtguy

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #5 on: November 17, 2010, 05:51:00 PM »
This is my third year and I got my first and so far only shot a few weeks ago.  Seen plenty of deer, but getting a shot is another matter.

Offline Night Wing

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #6 on: November 17, 2010, 06:09:00 PM »
It took me two years to get my first deer, a doe. I was 14 years old  when I started bowhunting. When I arrowed the doe, I was 16 years old. Shot from a concealed ground blind.
Blacktail TD Recurve: 66", 42# @ 30". Arrow: 32", 2212. PW: 75 Grains. AW: 421 Grains. GPP: 10.02
Blacktail TD Recurve: 66", 37# @ 30". Arrow: 32", 2212. PW: 75 Grains. AW: 421 Grains. GPP: 11.37

Offline LostNation_Larry

• Tradbowhunter
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #7 on: November 17, 2010, 06:49:00 PM »
It took me 5 years and I didn't start until I was 39.  I missed a few those first 5 years and I kept saying "you can't keep getting closer forever without connecting sometime."  Yes, it is frustrating but it will happen.  If you are doing the right things then you will connect.

Make a point of enjoying the out of doors time.  Be thankful you can go hunting.  Watch the squirrels  (use them for target practice) and it will happen.
www.lostnationarchery.com
Where "Traditional" means "Personal Service."

Offline imhntn

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #8 on: November 17, 2010, 06:57:00 PM »
Took me about 3-4 weeks of hunting my first season with a bow to get one.  I had friends though that had hunted for years without getting a deer so I may have just been lucky.  That was 28 or so years ago.
2 Timothy 2:2

Offline ishoot4thrills

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #9 on: November 17, 2010, 07:02:00 PM »
It took me 3 seasons of trad hunting before I killed my first whitetail with one back in 1997. It was a young doe. Then, one week later, I killed my second whitetail, my first buck with trad.
58" JK Traditions Kanati Longbow
Ten Strand D10 String
Kanati Bow Quiver
35/55 Gold Tip Pink Nugents @ 30"
3 X 5" Feathers
19.9% FOC
49# @ 26.75"
165 FPS @ 10.4 GPP (510 gr. hunting arrow)
171 FPS @ 9.7 GPP (475 gr. 3D arrow)
3 Fingers Under

Offline Coonbait

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #10 on: November 17, 2010, 07:03:00 PM »
Three frustrating years! When I finally took my first buck I felt like I won the lottery, but better!
GLENN

Offline Archer Fanatic

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #11 on: November 17, 2010, 10:23:00 PM »
It took me 3 years.

Offline Chris Sims

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #12 on: November 17, 2010, 10:33:00 PM »
Tried 9 years of frustration with 3 misses and one injured deer before I went back to wheels.  I still love shooting traditional and I still hunt with traditional bows, but my confidence was so shaken 4 years ago that I have not dedicated myself to it completely again.  I am getting there though and have hunted more with a traditional bow this year than in the past 4.  Don't give up I haven't.  I basically look at my compound as a rifle and use it in certain situations.

Offline OutbackMan

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #13 on: November 17, 2010, 10:45:00 PM »
I may also be one of the lucky ones...this was my first year w/a trad bow and I put a doe down...she was the first deer I ever shot at and only the third animal (I smacked a red fox w/the shaft of my arrow and smoked a fox squirrel prior to her.)  Good luck.
N.R.A. Life Member
N.A.H.C. Life Member
Buckeye Big Buck Club Member

Offline Recurve50 LBS

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #14 on: November 17, 2010, 11:48:00 PM »
Been at this Trad game for almost 8 years. I've had some shots at deer but have never killed one with Trad gear. Keep at it.
Larry W.

Member TANJ

NRA Life Member

56" 45#@28" Thunder Stick Mag
62" 45#@28" Turkey Creek Longbow
1966 42#@28" Bear Grizley

Offline mookie

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #15 on: November 17, 2010, 11:55:00 PM »
8 years with a compound nothing to show for it first week with trad equipment 8pt buck and gave the training wheels away.It will happen if you keep with it.

Online crotch horn

• Contributing Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #16 on: November 18, 2010, 03:29:00 AM »
This is my forth season of trad without a deer. Missed a few and hit a buck this year that I did not recover yet. I have killed two black bears & a turkey though. It is all good. Enjoy the journey.

Offline PSUBowhunter

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #17 on: November 18, 2010, 10:41:00 AM »
25 Minutes into my first hunt on stand with a recurve. Couldnt have worked out better. That was three years ago. Go figure, this year I never got a shot in 4 weeks of hunting.

Online swp

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #18 on: November 18, 2010, 12:07:00 PM »
First full year got a button buck, once again better lucky than good.
"People say you can't go back, its like when you get to the edge of a cliff and you take one more step forward or you do a 180 degree turn and take one more step forward. Which way are you going? Which one is progress?" Doug Tompkins

Offline Covey

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #19 on: November 18, 2010, 12:17:00 PM »
I've been hunting with trad gear for 4 years and havent connected...YET, but it will happen if you give it time and be patient. As far as I'm concerned I didnt start hunting till I picked up the recurve. Stay at it and good luck!! Jason

Users currently browsing this topic:

Contact Us | Trad Gang.com © | User Agreement

Copyright 2003 thru 2024 ~ Trad Gang.com ©