3Rivers Archery

The Trad Gang Digital Market

Contribute to Trad Gang and Access the Classifieds!

Become a Trad Gang Sponsor!

Traditional Archery for Bowhunters

LEFT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS TRAD GANG CLASSIFIEDS ACCESS RIGHT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS

Author Topic: Thanksgiving day morning hunt?  (Read 587 times)

Offline lpcjon2

• Trad Bowhunter
Thanksgiving day morning hunt?
« on: November 17, 2010, 07:08:00 PM »
I was thinking of taking my son(Tucker)on a Thanksgiving morning hunt and try to start a tradition.Does anyone else do this?   :campfire:
Some people live an entire lifetime and wonder if they have ever made a
difference in the world, but the Marines don’t have that problem.
—President Ronald Reagan

Offline Don Stokes

• Tradbowhunter
  • Trad Bowhunter
Re: Thanksgiving day morning hunt?
« Reply #1 on: November 17, 2010, 07:14:00 PM »
My family did it for years, and some of us still do. Camouflage was common at the Thanksgiving dinner table. I'll be smoking a wild turkey breast this year.
Those who would give up essential liberty to purchase a little temporary safety deserve neither liberty nor safety.- Ben Franklin

Offline Huntschool

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #2 on: November 17, 2010, 07:46:00 PM »
My family always hunted in the morning, birds with my Dad and I, and rabbits when I was a kid.  Now, these many years later I will likely go for a bit by myself...  I don't think I will be alone...
Bruce A. Hering
Program Coordinator (retired)
Southeastern Illinois College
NSCA Level III Instructor
Black Widow Bows
AMM 761

Offline Somersetstickbow

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #3 on: November 17, 2010, 07:46:00 PM »
By all means, take him hunting. I think hunting on Thanksgiving day is as traditional as turkey, mashed potatoes and pumpkin pie.

I'm 51 now and I can remember beating the brush on Thanksgiving morning before I was old enough to carry a gun trying to kick out rabbits and phesants to my dad and his buddy.

I'll probably start the morning hunting for deer with my longbow close to the house and then we will head to my brother in laws late in the morning for dinner around one. Afterwards, instead of sitting and watching football, I will head out with my daughter(15) and son(19) and do a little rabbit hunting. I will be carrying the Winchester double barrel that my dad received when he turned 16 some 65 years ago as a way of honoring my dad and hope that he is looking down upon his son and grandchildren and smiling.
If a person walks in the woods and listens carefully, he will learn more than what is in books. - George Washington Carver

Offline hunterbob

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #4 on: November 17, 2010, 07:48:00 PM »
My son and I go every Thanksgiving morning till about 11 or 12.but we do not deer hunt we take the beagle out rabbit hunting.this year we will be taking the beagles out.I got a new pup last winter And did not do alor with her except chase the rabbits out of the yard.And I had her out with my older beagle one night last week and tonight and she is really running great.And the sound of both dogs barking on rabbits is like music to my ears.
robert quetot

Offline Greyfox54

• Contributing Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #5 on: November 17, 2010, 07:48:00 PM »
I Hunted Thanksgiving morning with my Dad for close to 30 years before he passed . I now hunt alone and since my Goodwife agrees to hold the family dinner I get to hunt all day . The relatives come over and snack and watch football ,they don't know what their missing .
Greyfox54

Offline Night Wing

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #6 on: November 17, 2010, 08:32:00 PM »
Take him hunting on Thankgiving morning. The memories for both you and him will last a lifetime.
Blacktail TD Recurve: 66", 42# @ 30". Arrow: 32", 2212. PW: 75 Grains. AW: 421 Grains. GPP: 10.02
Blacktail TD Recurve: 66", 37# @ 30". Arrow: 32", 2212. PW: 75 Grains. AW: 421 Grains. GPP: 11.37

Offline the longbowkid

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #7 on: November 17, 2010, 08:38:00 PM »
I killed my first trad deer on thanksgiving morning at 9:30. more time in the woods the better...  :archer:
Anneewakee Addiction longbow 56" 50@28

"too many people live under the misguided impression that death is the worst possible of natural events"
  -John G. Mitchell, "The Hunt"

Offline Dirtybird

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #8 on: November 17, 2010, 08:47:00 PM »
Been hunting Thanksgiving morning since I was a little boy with family.  No better way to start the day.

Offline DannyBows

• Contributing Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #9 on: November 17, 2010, 09:25:00 PM »
We always started our Rabbit hunting season on ThanksGiving day. My Dad, an Uncle, and several Amish friends hunted all day with Beagles. This was in Ohio. I'd usually doze-off on the drive home. There was nothing that compares to walking thru that kitchen door when we got home and smelling Mom's cooking. We would eat until almost sick, watch some football, nap, then wake-up and do it all over again. Good memories.
"Always feel the wind, and walk just like the leaves".  ("LongBow Country"--Chad Slagle, "High, Wild, and Free").

Offline bad arrow

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #10 on: November 17, 2010, 09:34:00 PM »
I used to rabbit hunt thanksgiving morning too but now that I got the bow bug I won't be hunting lost beagles this year!.... Phil

Offline greyghost

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #11 on: November 17, 2010, 09:40:00 PM »
Yes sir, been doing that since 1957 with my grandfather, dad and uncle till they passed on.

Carrying on the tradition ever since.

Offline xtrema312

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #12 on: November 18, 2010, 07:02:00 AM »
I will be out unless the weather is real bad.
1 Timothy 4:4(NKJV)
For every creature of God is good, and nothing is to be refused if it is received with thanksgiving.

Firefly Long Bow  James 4:14
60" MOAB 54@29 James 1:17

Michigan Longbow Association

Offline Nole

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #13 on: November 18, 2010, 07:09:00 AM »
My family hunts on Thanksgiving morning.  It has been a tradition of ours for years.

Offline gregg dudley

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #14 on: November 18, 2010, 07:11:00 AM »
Whole family will be at the hunting camp for Thanksgiving.  It is great to come in from a morning hunt to the smells of a Thanksgiving dinner.  There is plenty of time to eat, relax, reflect, .... and nap... before heading back to the woods to hunt the evening stand.  

My son killed a big seven point last Thanksgiving.  I will be trying real hard to get my daughter on a deer with her rifle this year.  

The ladies will head to town on Friday for the big sale events.  That's hunting to them.  We will come in on Friday and try to determine who had the best day.  It is great when everyone thinks they are the winner.   I'm thankful for days like that.

Saturday and Sunday will play the same.  Wow!  Just a week away!
MOLON LABE

Traditional Bowhunters Of Florida
Come shoot with us!

Offline Huntrdfk

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #15 on: November 18, 2010, 08:01:00 AM »
Every year now since 1992, at least me and one friend. Hunt for a few hours, then it's back to his house for a good breakfast before I head home for dinners with my family.  I look forward to this day every year......

David
TGMM Family of The Bow
PBS Regular Member
Comptons

"People sleep peaceably in their beds at night only because rough men stand ready to do violence on their behalf." George Orwell

Offline ripforce56

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #16 on: November 18, 2010, 08:23:00 AM »
Weather permitting I will be in the woods this year with my longbow! In past years my best friend and I went steelhead fishing if the weather is above the  mid 40s! Being from Mi it is always a tradition to watch the Detroit Lions on Nat TV that is always an adventure to say the least!
BirchBark Rovers Custom Quivers 
Bama Royal Expedition T/D  #00027
Root Target Master 66in 40@28
SF Forged Plus/Carbon Elite 40lb Limbs 68in ILF
Schramm Recurve 62in 46@28

Schramm 62in Recurve 46@28

Offline Izzy

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #17 on: November 18, 2010, 10:29:00 AM »
I used to but quit after too many close calls (trigger happy people) in the spot I used to hunt with family. This year I wont be able to but I promise myself to start the tradition with my boys next year, even if we start out close to home with sticks only which is the way I prefer.

Offline lablover

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #18 on: November 18, 2010, 10:49:00 AM »
Have hunted Thanksgiving morning since I was about 8, started as the dog, progressed up to hunter, started my four boys the same way only with bows and now that all my family is either back in Indiana, away at the military, or gone, I hunt alone every Thanksgiving for deer. I never miss that morning and never feel alone in my stand. Take him he'll never be alone in the woods again, he'll always have those memories.
Bowhunting is a passion, not an obsession. Its just hard for my wife to tell the difference sometimes.

Offline FerretWYO

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #19 on: November 18, 2010, 10:53:00 AM »
I have hunt many of thanksgiving with my Dad.
TGMM Family of The Bow

Users currently browsing this topic:

Contact Us | Trad Gang.com © | User Agreement

Copyright 2003 thru 2024 ~ Trad Gang.com ©