3Rivers Archery

The Trad Gang Digital Market

Contribute to Trad Gang and Access the Classifieds!

Become a Trad Gang Sponsor!

Traditional Archery for Bowhunters

LEFT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS TRAD GANG CLASSIFIEDS ACCESS RIGHT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS

Author Topic: Wood arrows  (Read 227 times)

Offline LongStick64

• Trad Bowhunter
Wood arrows
« on: November 17, 2010, 08:17:00 PM »
I've decided to go and try making up my own woodies, I ordered shafts and I have a taper tool and fletch jig. Now can anyone point me in the right direction. Anyone have a how to make a wood arrow anywhere ?
Primitive Bowhunting.....the experience of a lifetime

Offline Bjorn

• Trad Bowhunter
Re: Wood arrows
« Reply #1 on: November 17, 2010, 08:27:00 PM »
Lots of how to's here and elsewhere do some searches.

Offline Ray_G

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #2 on: November 17, 2010, 08:28:00 PM »
Down the forum categories is a forum called "How To - Resources".  There are several posts on making arrows up.  Read through them and glean what you need.  Here is a direct link:  

http://tradgang.com/cgi-bin/ultimatebb.cgi?ubb=forum;f=2

There are a great bunch of How To's there for all sorts of things we do or need.  Best wishes on your new arrows!
Sunset Hill 64" 54# @ 26"  "Destiny"

B.H.A.

Offline straitera

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #3 on: November 17, 2010, 08:30:00 PM »
Archives are full. First, orient the grain so you can install nocks perpendicular. Mark grain w/pen dot or whatever. Straighten the shafts w/heat from a hairdryer. Each end will now require a different bevel. Check spine & match. Stain, dry, sand, stain again (?). Paint if needed. Varnish. Nock, add point, shoot.
Buddy Bell

Trad is 60% mental & about 40% mental.

Offline Kip l Hoffman

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #4 on: November 17, 2010, 10:01:00 PM »
You are in for a lot of fun and enjoyment.  nothing is quite as much fun as making a dozen matched arrows of your own creation.  make sure the grain is parralel to the earth.  the grain will look like little pages of a book or like looking at a deck of cards from the end while they are laying on the table.  when the grain is parralell to the earth the shaft is the strongest.  start with port orford cedar.  if you want to use other woods, buy them a year or so in advance and let them dry in your furnance room of the house.  hickory and ramen and ash and birch and chundo and the other arrow woods are mostly sold green now a days.  let them dry for a year before working.  it will save you a lot of grief with crooked arrows later on down the road.

Offline LongStick64

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #5 on: November 18, 2010, 05:34:00 AM »
Here's a dumbo question, how do you use the taper tool to get the nock and point end, do you just use it like a pencil sharpener?
And what do you use to seal the arrow ?
Primitive Bowhunting.....the experience of a lifetime

Offline ripforce56

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #6 on: November 18, 2010, 08:40:00 AM »
The taper tool should have a slot for the nock end which is smaller and the point end slot is longer! I have just got into woods in the past few months, I have done up mostly Cedar, easy to work with! Takes most stains real well, fairly easy to straighten to! I have been using differant colors of Minwax stains and sealing them with Polycrylic gloss finish! Many people use a dip tube and gasket lacquer to finish arrows!At some point I am going to go this route as well! I also want to invest in a crester! Arrow building is a real addiction! Good Luck!
BirchBark Rovers Custom Quivers 
Bama Royal Expedition T/D  #00027
Root Target Master 66in 40@28
SF Forged Plus/Carbon Elite 40lb Limbs 68in ILF
Schramm Recurve 62in 46@28

Schramm 62in Recurve 46@28

Offline Rob DiStefano

• Administrator
  • Trad Bowhunter
  • Contributing Member
    • Cavalier Pickups
« Reply #7 on: November 18, 2010, 08:51:00 AM »
first, always check the how-to resources forum.

second, post here if you require further help, AFTER reading through the resources forum.

thank you.
IAM ~ The only government I trust is my .45-70 ... and my 1911.

Users currently browsing this topic:

Contact Us | Trad Gang.com © | User Agreement

Copyright 2003 thru 2024 ~ Trad Gang.com ©