3Rivers Archery

The Trad Gang Digital Market

Contribute to Trad Gang and Access the Classifieds!

Become a Trad Gang Sponsor!

Traditional Archery for Bowhunters

LEFT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS TRAD GANG CLASSIFIEDS ACCESS RIGHT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS

Author Topic: Burrs and sticker remover  (Read 302 times)

Offline Mr Green 740

• Trad Bowhunter
Burrs and sticker remover
« on: November 17, 2010, 09:55:00 PM »
What do you use to get them off your hunting clothes before you wash them? I'm not trying to get strangled by the Wife when her clothes get ruined! Hopefully i'll get some ideas aside from ordering a tool that will take 2 weeks to get here! Thanks, Tony
Evolutionary Traditionalist

Offline Lowrider

• Contributing Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
Re: Burrs and sticker remover
« Reply #1 on: November 17, 2010, 11:20:00 PM »
I use a dull knife blade, pull the material tight and scrape them off.  But of course I am talking about beggar lice which we have an abundance of where I hunt. Hope this helps.

Offline vtmtnman

• TGMM Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #2 on: November 18, 2010, 05:04:00 AM »
I just sit down at night and hand pick them off.I wasn't aware there was a tool for that.Have a link for it?

I just got back from Ohio,I swear everything in that state is thorns and prickers.
>>>>--TGMM family of the bow--->

Offline Dave Pagel

• Contributing Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #3 on: November 18, 2010, 07:07:00 AM »
There is a product called a Burzoff that I use on my wool that works well.  It looks like a piece of Lava or something and you just rub them off before removing your clothes.  3 Rivers sells them now.

Dave

Offline Caleb the bow breaker

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #4 on: November 18, 2010, 10:21:00 AM »
A hair comb is excellent for certain things

C
Oh squeaky treestand, how I hate thee!

Offline Stiks-n-Strings

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #5 on: November 18, 2010, 10:27:00 AM »
I use a butter knife.
Striker stinger 58" 55# @ 28
any wood bow I pick off the rack.
 2 Cor. 10:4
 TGMM Family of The Bow
 MK, LLC Shareholder
Proud Member of the Twister Twelve

Offline ron w

• Contributing Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #6 on: November 18, 2010, 10:40:00 AM »
That burzoff rock type thing works pretty good...it's not perfect but it works! It's best on wool or materials like wool.....I have some Berber Fleece that it doesn't work as well on!
In the beginner's mind there are many possibilities. In the expert's there are few...So the most difficult thing is always to keep your beginner's mind...This is also the real secret of the arts: always be a beginner.  Shunryu Suzuki

Offline lt-m-grow

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #7 on: November 18, 2010, 11:24:00 AM »
Unfortunately I don't think you gonna find any magic bullets.  We get burrs bad and I have only so-so luck with all the above.  Yes they work but not perfect.

I worry less about my wife's clothes being ruined versus a burr in her undies :-)  That costs me.

Laundry mat maybe?

Offline luv2bowhunt

• Contributing Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #8 on: November 18, 2010, 01:05:00 PM »
I usually just sit there an pick them off while in my stand waiting for something to show up  :)
"When a hunter is in a tree stand with high moral values and with the proper hunting ethics and richer for the experience, that hunter is 20 feet closer to God."

Fred Bear

Offline wildwood

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #9 on: November 18, 2010, 01:51:00 PM »
burzoff rock works for me, better than stikin my finger tips
delivered by grace

Offline kskickapoo

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #10 on: November 18, 2010, 02:51:00 PM »
I use one of those little combs used for combing the lice nits out of kids hair.

Offline 30coupe

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #11 on: November 18, 2010, 07:21:00 PM »
Originally posted by luv2bowhunt:
I usually just sit there an pick them off while in my stand waiting for something to show up   :)  
Me too!
Kanati 58" 44# @ 28" Green glass on a green riser
Bear Kodiak Magnum 52" 45# @ 28"
Bodnik Slick Stick longbow 58" 40# @ 28"
Bodnik Kiowa 52" 45# @ 28"
Kanati 58" 46# @ 28" R.I.P (2007-2015)
Self-made Silk backed Hickory Board bow 67" 49# @ 28"
Bear Black Bear 60" 45# @28"
NRA Life Member

Offline Bjorn

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #12 on: November 18, 2010, 07:28:00 PM »
That buzzoff thing did absolutely zip for me. If I had not thrown it so far maybe coulda' returned it.    :bigsmyl:

Offline Bowwild

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #13 on: November 18, 2010, 07:29:00 PM »
I wish there was a quick way to do this. Cockel burrs are easy but painful if you're not careful. Begger lice (triangular brown flat do-dads) are pretty easy to pick off but the dull knife idea above sounds interesting.

I pick em off in the stand and try to avoid them when walking out. I always take these clothes to the deck and pick em clean before putting them in the wash.  Still, my wife will find a few begger lice in the washing machine or other clothes from time to time.

Of course the worse thing I ever did was to put some deer pellets in my pocket about 31.5 years ago (we've been married 32 years).  That was the last day she ever checked my pockets before loading the machine!  My mistake has cost me washed licenses, thumb drives, bullets, wallet, and even a watch.  Of course when she held out those deer pellets and asked what they were, I wish I had been smart enough to tell her a bit of a story instead of the truth. Wood plugs wouldn't have put her off as much as deer turds.

Offline Kip l Hoffman

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #14 on: November 18, 2010, 09:18:00 PM »
Had  a frend convince his wife that dried rabbit pellets were pinion nuts.  He was a damned good liar.  I laugh every time i think about him telling us how the juice was running down her chin.  Keeping a really straight face he just said.  "Well not every one likes them."  He told the story often enough and when he was drunk enough in elk camp that i think he was telling the truth.  he was still married last time i knew of.

Offline ksbowman

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #15 on: November 18, 2010, 10:01:00 PM »
I use the dull edges of a putty knife on all my camo including and especially wool. It works very well on a hard surface. I have a small work table in the shop I scape them on.
I would've taken better care of myself,if I'd known I was gonna live this long!

Users currently browsing this topic:

Contact Us | Trad Gang.com © | User Agreement

Copyright 2003 thru 2024 ~ Trad Gang.com ©