3Rivers Archery

The Trad Gang Digital Market

Contribute to Trad Gang and Access the Classifieds!

Become a Trad Gang Sponsor!

Traditional Archery for Bowhunters

LEFT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS TRAD GANG CLASSIFIEDS ACCESS RIGHT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS

Author Topic: $1000.00 a year archery allowance  (Read 763 times)

Offline seabass

• Trad Bowhunter
$1000.00 a year archery allowance
« on: November 17, 2010, 10:11:00 PM »
hey guys,i just had to post this to get your thoughts on the subject.here lately i have bought alot of bowhunting equiptment.i have had two selfbows made and bought a Marc ST. Louis static recurve.i also had a dozen rivercane arrows with knapped obsidian heads and a elk hide quiver custom made.also a armguard knife combo from farr west and skullworks.i also have bought a few dozen arrows from various makers,not to mention tons of arrow shafts and components for arrows i have built myself.i am now going to have a sheepeater spirit made for me.i know i have a problem,but now she is putting a thousand dollar a year price cap on my hobby.what do you guys think?is she being unreasonable?  :help:

Offline ron w

• Contributing Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
Re: $1000.00 a year archery allowance
« Reply #1 on: November 17, 2010, 10:20:00 PM »
Well,I guess if you value your wife's company you may have to cap your spending. But if your going to shoot self bows and such you need to learn how to make them yourself,heck of a lot cheaper than having them built for you. Even the leather work you can do and have a decent product when your done. I just tell my wife that there's a lot worse things I could be doing...lol!   :dunno:
In the beginner's mind there are many possibilities. In the expert's there are few...So the most difficult thing is always to keep your beginner's mind...This is also the real secret of the arts: always be a beginner.  Shunryu Suzuki

Offline seabass

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #2 on: November 17, 2010, 10:32:00 PM »
i have tried to make them,i just don't have the talent.i do value her company,she just don't know how generous her price cap is.i am a good boy that loves her very much.she knows i could be into alot worse stuff.archery is my only vice.i think i can live on a grand a year.

Offline SELFBOW19953

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #3 on: November 17, 2010, 10:50:00 PM »
You can buy a lot of great trad equipment for a grand a year!!  Waiting list for most top of the line bows is at least a year, and price is usually less that a grand!!!

Sounds like a good woman, capping you at $1,000.00!!  You better keep her!  Most wives would say $1,000.00 period, that's it.
SELFBOW19953
USAF Retired (1971-1991)
"Somehow, I feel that arrows made of wood are more in keeping with the spirit of old-time archery and require more of the archer himself than a more modern arrow."  Howard Hill from "Hunting The Hard Way"

Offline calgarychef

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #4 on: November 17, 2010, 10:51:00 PM »
A grand a year will buy you a LOT of toys.  Think about five years down the road, then think about 10.  I'd save my money and use it for hunting trips rather than toys.

the chef

Online Stumpkiller

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #5 on: November 17, 2010, 10:53:00 PM »
Is she being unreasonable?
Nah.  One good bow (which you already have) and a couple hundred arrows per year.  You're gold.

Last bow I bought cost me $80 and it's a joy to shoot.

Be sure to save $100 or so for hunting licenses.

Seriously, I don't know your finances or budget.  If you are able to make ends meet, have your credit cards current and the mortgage is being met maybe $1,000 is tight.  

If you spend more than you make, have nothing salted away, have the cards maxed out, have 59 interests and your paycheck never makes it home - maybe she's a saint and overly generous.
Charlie P. }}===]> A.B.C.C.

Bear Kodiak & K. Hunter, D. Palmer Hunter, Ben Pearson Hunter, Wing Presentation II & 4 Red Wing Hunters (LH & 3 RH), Browning Explorer, Cobra II & Wasp, Martin/Howatt Dream Catcher, Root Warrior, Shakespeare Necedah.

Offline damascusdave

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #6 on: November 17, 2010, 10:56:00 PM »
Kind of reminds me of that song about the fisherman getting told by his wife that if he goes fishing one more time she will leave him. I believe the title of the song is "I'm Sure Going to Miss Her". I already spent $2300 on bows this week, and I bought a 600 dollar rifle scope today.

Sure if you are prone to giving her ultimatums, then she has a point. If not then she is way off base.

DDave
I set out a while ago to reduce my herd of 40 bows...And I am finally down to 42

Offline Caleb the bow breaker

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #7 on: November 17, 2010, 10:57:00 PM »
I know guys that have a lot of fun shooting and hunting for a lot less than that a year.  heck I am one of those guys

C
Oh squeaky treestand, how I hate thee!

Offline rp65

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #8 on: November 17, 2010, 11:04:00 PM »
You could start with a thousand, then buy, sell and trade. If you keep looking around you could pick up some used bows at very good prices these days and hold on to them and when the demand goes up you can sell them and make you money grow.

Offline BigJim

• SPONSOR
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #9 on: November 17, 2010, 11:27:00 PM »
I couldn't do it (nor would my wife make me). We save as we can and try to plan for the future, but I have no intention of taking it with me and unfortunately, we don't know when that will happen. I might have it backwards, but I'm going to enjoy it while I have it.

BigJim
http://www.bigjimsbowcompany.com/      
I just try to live my life in a way that would have made my father proud.

Offline deadpool

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #10 on: November 17, 2010, 11:31:00 PM »
does that include hunting trips?

« Reply #11 on: November 17, 2010, 11:37:00 PM »
Actually, it sounds like you have married a wise woman.  Time to teach her how to shoot and hunt.

Offline Friend

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #12 on: November 17, 2010, 11:37:00 PM »
It would not be hard to spend five thousand a year. Many of us with limited funds just learn to be creative and spend based on the biggest bang for the buck. We have just as much fun an in some cases even more because we have poured out our heart to have what we have. Thus we devote more time to these limeted items. We can always dream as we but find true enjoyment and blessing in what we have.
>>----> Friend <----<<

My Lands… Are Where My Dead Lie Buried.......Crazy Horse

Offline mookie

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #13 on: November 17, 2010, 11:49:00 PM »
Sounds generous to me.

Offline Thumper Dunker

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #14 on: November 17, 2010, 11:54:00 PM »
You can only shoot one bow at a time. Are you spending money on stuff that you realy need? are going to realy use? Should the money be going for mortgage ect.Is she having to work so you can go play?  Boy we can be hard on people can't we. I think I would rather have a good wife than a flashy bow.
You can hop but you can't hide.
If it was not for rabbits I would never get a buck.
Yip yipahooooo yipyipyip.

Offline Raging Water

• TGMM Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #15 on: November 17, 2010, 11:57:00 PM »
Was that a $1,000 an Month? Or a WHOLE YEAR?????
Matt

TGMM - Family of the Bow
TG Contributor
All Around Good Guy

Statistically, 6 out of 7 Dwarves are not Happy… which Dwarf do you CHOOSE to be?

Two things that can never be taken back...Harsh Words and Time, Wasted

Online Pat B

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #16 on: November 18, 2010, 12:05:00 AM »
If I had $1000 a year to spend I'd make all my own hunting stuff and buy a plane ticket to Colorado and an either sex elk tag for the early bow season.
Make the most of all that comes and the least of all that goes!
TGMM Family of the Bow

Offline David Yukon

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #17 on: November 18, 2010, 12:05:00 AM »
$1000.00 and keep her!! You do better then me budy!!
Cheers

Offline seabass

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #18 on: November 18, 2010, 04:48:00 AM »
hey guys i think i will keep her.i think a grand is plenty for me to play with.we don't have children,we don't have a mortgage.i have one credit card that is no where maxed out and all of my bills are paid.i know i have bought alot of stuff lately,but i am almost done.i just wanted a longbow,recurve and a selfbow or two.i am going to take the rest of the money and take a nice hunting trip,steve

Offline YankeeRedneck

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #19 on: November 18, 2010, 05:07:00 AM »
No
I love New York I really do !!!!!!

Users currently browsing this topic:

Contact Us | Trad Gang.com © | User Agreement

Copyright 2003 thru 2024 ~ Trad Gang.com ©