3Rivers Archery

The Trad Gang Digital Market

Contribute to Trad Gang and Access the Classifieds!

Become a Trad Gang Sponsor!

Traditional Archery for Bowhunters

LEFT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS TRAD GANG CLASSIFIEDS ACCESS RIGHT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS

Author Topic: Woodsman broadhead 125 grain - Elite or original- question  (Read 222 times)

Offline azhunter

• Trad Bowhunter
Woodsman broadhead 125 grain - Elite or original- question
« on: November 18, 2010, 01:45:00 AM »
I want to order the woodsman 125 grain broadheads. I understand the newer elite is stronger in design than the older original and is easyer to sharpen, but hear that the newer 125 grain hisses quite a bit. Is this really an issue with this head or am I over analyzing this issue. I know the non-vented model is probably stronger and would eliminate this issue, but I need the 125 grain.
Thanks for your help.

Offline Apex Predator

• Trad Bowhunter
Re: Woodsman broadhead 125 grain - Elite or original- question
« Reply #1 on: November 18, 2010, 04:57:00 AM »
The originals are fine broadheads, but all you have stated has been true for me.  The "hiss of death" never affected the critters I shot with them. The newer ones are a premium head in every aspect, but they cost more.   :)
I didn't claw my way to the top of the food chain to eat vegetables!

Offline Guru

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #2 on: November 18, 2010, 05:16:00 AM »
Between those two, I'd take the original...
Curt } >>--->   

"I love you Daddy".......My son Cade while stump shooting  3/19/06

Offline Tajue17

• Contributing Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #3 on: November 18, 2010, 06:25:00 AM »
I would like to try the new one piece screw-in ones and with a solid blade, or a blade with no vent cut outs I think they are 200gr.
"Us vs Them"

Offline Onions

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #4 on: November 18, 2010, 07:11:00 AM »
azhunter,
I have killed a ton of animals with the orginal WW. Some "hissed" some didn't. You only hear the "hiss" if you are behind the head. I had a friend shoot a few arrows pass me while I hid behind a woodpile. I could not hear the "hiss" as the arrow was coming, but did once it went by me. The orginal WW is very easy to get sharp.
I will continue to shoot the orginal, I don't see the value in the extra money for the 125 Elite.
My two cents

chris <><

Offline DBinAlamo

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #5 on: November 18, 2010, 11:01:00 AM »
I have had awesome results W/ both vented originals and non vented elites.  Originals w/ 75gr adaptor and Elites @ 200gr. also.  Both sharpen the same to me....DB
A&H ACS 64" 50#@28" 3DH Riser.
Strive for excellence....  Not perfection.
"If your not working hard, someone else is" Dentler.

Offline SlowBowinMO

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #6 on: November 18, 2010, 11:45:00 AM »
The Elite 125 glue on is a smaller head than the original Woodsman but it appears to maintain the same ratio.  A huge step up in quality, but yes they do hiss... a lot.  They also penetrate my broadhead target noticably deeper than any other 3 blade I've shot.  The solid Elites I've tried do not hiss, just the vented versions.  The Elites are significantly easier to sharpen and hold their edge very well.

You can hardly go wrong with the original.  Both are excellent heads, both are in my quivers.     :thumbsup:
"Down-Log Blind at Misty River"

Offline luv2bowhunt

• Contributing Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #7 on: November 18, 2010, 01:04:00 PM »
I can't see spending the $$ on the new versions when the old ones have served me so well for so long. Once you get the initial grind done on them (which is really easy, just need to spend a little time and sweat if using a file) they sharpen very easily and keep an edge very well. It is really simple to put the pyramid tip on them as well.
"When a hunter is in a tree stand with high moral values and with the proper hunting ethics and richer for the experience, that hunter is 20 feet closer to God."

Fred Bear

Offline dbishop

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #8 on: November 19, 2010, 08:13:00 AM »
Is the Woodsman 125 gr head identical to the Magnus snuffer?  I know the snuffer is not a 3:1 head.  I have some woodsmans in 150 gr and I love them.  I have the snuffers in 125.  They are definitely harder to sharpen than the woodsmans.

Dave

Offline Scrub_buck

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #9 on: November 19, 2010, 10:55:00 AM »
Once I used clear scotch tape (Christmas wrapping tape) to close up the holes on a vented two blade that hissed when flying through the air.  Worked like a charm.

I bet you could do the same with the woodsman to make the vented blades "solid"  If you close up the holes, they won't hiss!

Minimal investment, won't change the weight very much at all, and will not affect the performance while cutting through tissue.  I actually don't know if that last one is true or not, but I can't see it making a huge negative impact.

Use a razor blade or exacto knife to remove the tape on the solid areas.  That minimized the actualy amount of tape used ... just covering the vents.

Offline RC

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #10 on: November 19, 2010, 07:03:00 PM »
Never had a problem on the originals and cannot see spending extra bucks for the others. Fine broadheads.RC

Offline RkyMtn Joe

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #11 on: November 19, 2010, 08:55:00 PM »
I traded for a half dozen originals about 6 months ago.  I find the originals to be a good and accurate head---well suited to bows with a pull weight of 45 pounds or even a slight bit less.   The larger "Snuffer" is every bit as effective and works great from bows that pull 50 plus pounds---I shot them from a 64# Widow and they worked great.  Roger knew what he was doing when he designed this head.

The original WW heads are great heads and  will do the job if you do yours, which is as good a tribute as you can give to any head I think.

Offline xtrema312

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #12 on: November 19, 2010, 10:26:00 PM »
I found the 125 woodsman elite for $16 for three.  I think they are worth it.  If you don't want the hiss then just get the VPA.  Their 125 is solid.
1 Timothy 4:4(NKJV)
For every creature of God is good, and nothing is to be refused if it is received with thanksgiving.

Firefly Long Bow  James 4:14
60" MOAB 54@29 James 1:17

Michigan Longbow Association

Offline Gary Logsdon

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #13 on: November 19, 2010, 10:35:00 PM »
I shoot the unvented 250 grain VPA Terminators which give you an aerodynamically sound length to width ratio plus good penetration.  They're tough and silent.
Gary Logsdon

Users currently browsing this topic:

Contact Us | Trad Gang.com © | User Agreement

Copyright 2003 thru 2024 ~ Trad Gang.com ©