3Rivers Archery

The Trad Gang Digital Market

Contribute to Trad Gang and Access the Classifieds!

Become a Trad Gang Sponsor!

Traditional Archery for Bowhunters

LEFT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS TRAD GANG CLASSIFIEDS ACCESS RIGHT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS

Author Topic: Scoutin' for sheep! 7-29-07 Where'd they go?  (Read 1649 times)

Offline Elksong

• Trad Bowhunter
Scoutin' for sheep! 7-29-07 Where'd they go?
« on: May 29, 2007, 12:35:00 AM »
Back when I first found out that I had drawn a tag I posted on here that I would start a Sheep scouting journal. I think it is a good idea that hopefully will be fun and useful to anyone that is intertested.  Just be kind when it comes to my spelling and grammar!

5/13/07 - I can't take it anymore! I have to get to sheep country!  I am using the "family drive" excuse to take a look at some of the unit I will be hunting.  I have both daughters and the boy, as well as my wife are along. It snowed a sloppy wet couple of inches last night, so we are just driving around looking at the beautiful place we live.
   I am caught completely off guard as we round the bend in the road and we see several Ewe's right at  the trailhead.

This has really got me worked up now!  I can not wait to get a real scouting trip under my belt.
What is man without the beasts? If all the beasts were gone, men would die from great loneliness of spirit, for whatever happens to the beasts also happens to man. All things are connected. Whatever befalls the earth befalls the children of the earth

Offline Elksong

• Trad Bowhunter
Re: Scoutin' for sheep! 7-29-07 Where'd they go?
« Reply #1 on: May 29, 2007, 12:45:00 AM »
5/28/07 - I am in sheep country! It is beautiful, and much bigger than it looked on the map.  Having never been into this area before every step is a learning expierence. I put on many miles today and never saw a sheep, but I was really just getting a feel for the lay of the land and not really trying to glass up a sheep.

It was an awesome day.  Nothing beats running around the Rocky mountains!  

Even though I didn't see any sheep it was a great trip.  I have decided I need to buy a Bivy sack and plan on spending ALLOT more time in there.!
What is man without the beasts? If all the beasts were gone, men would die from great loneliness of spirit, for whatever happens to the beasts also happens to man. All things are connected. Whatever befalls the earth befalls the children of the earth

Offline Slasher

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #2 on: May 29, 2007, 01:06:00 AM »
beautiful pics... that Silvertip looks ready to close the deal as well!!! Best of luck, God Bless, and a bigthank you for sharing... keep it up!!!
Expect the best. Prepare for the worst. Capitalize on what comes.
                                        ~Zig Ziglar~

Offline fireman_3311

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #3 on: May 29, 2007, 01:12:00 AM »
No doubt about it...awesome pics!!!! Like me Dad always said..."If you're lucky enough to be in the mountains, You're lucky enough!!!"
Official Measurer for Boone and Crockett, Pope and Young, Compton's, Longhunters, and both Mo books.  Have tape, will travel!!!

Offline Steve O

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #4 on: May 29, 2007, 06:52:00 AM »
Jason,

Swing by S12 for me too...  ;)  

That is beautiful!  I've been doing a lot of homework and training; as much as I can do without being there.  I hope to get out once before the season, but that is not much!

I am taking my 'Tip as well--good choice!

Offline W.Tim

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #5 on: May 29, 2007, 07:03:00 AM »
Wow......great pic's.....real pretty country

Offline Yellow Owl

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #6 on: May 29, 2007, 11:26:00 AM »
Excellent pictures. Keep us posted on the scouting trips.
Traditional Bowhunters of B.C.
Wild Sheep Society of B.C.
B.C. Wildlife Federation

Offline elk ninja

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #7 on: May 29, 2007, 12:38:00 PM »
Very Beautiful country, different than my local sheep areas, I like that... I am going to keep tabs on this one for sure!  Speaking of the bivy sack, have you read Cameron Haynes "Backcountry Bowhunting"?  Great book for your style hunting, even if he still has training wheels.  Good luck!
Semper Fi,
Mike
>>>--Semper-Fi--->

It is better to remain silent and be thought a fool than to open one's mouth and remove all doubt.
-Abraham Lincoln

Offline Roadkill

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #8 on: May 29, 2007, 01:33:00 PM »
ninja's right-there are more trees in one pic than we have in all of our sheep country!
nice grip on your bow, too.  Good luck
Cast a long shadow-you may provide shade to someone who needs it.  Semper Fi

Offline Elksong@work

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #9 on: May 29, 2007, 02:12:00 PM »
Steve O - Drove through S12 this weekend, did not see any sheep though.  I went and bought some land in S49.

Elk Ninja - I have read Camerons book. Good book, I thought it had some good advise.   It is very different sheep country, I was surprised at the amount of veg. also. The Elevation tops out at 10,200', so it is pretty low country for sheep.  I have alot of info on the unit an it looks like many of the sheep are killed below 9000'.

Offline jonesy

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #10 on: May 29, 2007, 02:23:00 PM »
Is that the ellusive yellow ring sheep? LOL Beautiful country. Jonesy

Offline Steve O

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #11 on: May 29, 2007, 03:00:00 PM »
Elksong,

One of my moles was camping there this w/e...he saw 30.  Doing 5 miles every morning at 5am...hitting the gym for more aerobics and weights every chance I have.

Anything I can do to prepare more for the HIGH altitude?

Offline Elksong@work

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #12 on: May 29, 2007, 03:15:00 PM »
Steve,
  Sounds like you are doing the right stuff!  Unfortunantly there is no real substitute for the high country.  I have lost 22 lbs in 4 weeks, from 235 to 213, just changing my diet and work out to be more stamina focused and less power oriented.
If you have a stadium that you can access, put on a 35+lb back pack and go up down the stairs, ALLOT!

Offline Steve O

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #13 on: May 29, 2007, 04:13:00 PM »
The best we have is a sled hill the kids go down.  I am hitting that as much as possible in the evenings.  June 1st I am putting 40lbs into the pack, July 1st 80 lbs.

Offline AZStickman

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #14 on: May 29, 2007, 07:28:00 PM »
I Like the face in the rock looking at those ewes in the first pic........Looking forward to following your journey thatnks for taking us along........  :thumbsup:  Terry
"The reward of a thing well done is to have done it.".. Ralph Waldo Emerson

Offline Jack Shanks

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #15 on: May 29, 2007, 09:19:00 PM »
Steve, I might need to start hitting that hill with you. I lost my stair workout when I retired last year.

Jason, great pictures! I will be going on my first sheep hunt this year in Alaska. I hope to one day draw a Bighorn tag before I get too old to go. Good luck and keep us up to date.
Jack Shanks

Offline Jeff Holchin

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #16 on: May 30, 2007, 07:07:00 AM »
Great photos, keep them coming, especially of any ewes.  Looks like I'll be joining you and Steve this fall on the Colorado mountains in search of sheep with my bow - I learned last week that I drew the only NR archery ewe tag for S-32.  Only 3 months to prepare, hope I can do it.
"He has also made me as a select arrow, He has hidden me in His quiver." - Isaiah 49:2

Offline John/Alaska

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #17 on: May 30, 2007, 11:08:00 AM »
Elksong - Great pictures. Always like to see different sheep country. Good luck on your scouting & hunt.

Jack - When & where in Alaska are you going?
John/AK

Offline bohuntr

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #18 on: May 30, 2007, 02:20:00 PM »
Super pictures, keep em comin!!!!
To me, the ultimate challenge in bowhunting is not how far away you can succesfully make a killing shot but rather how close you can get to the animal before shooting.

Offline Jack Shanks

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #19 on: May 30, 2007, 03:29:00 PM »
John,

My Dall hunt is in the Chugachs starting the second week of September. Actually, my wife and I will be up for an Alaskan tour towards the end of August that she arranged for us first. We get home September 3 and I fly back up on the ninth, hunt until the end of sheep season and fly back on the 22nd.
Jack Shanks

Users currently browsing this topic:

Contact Us | Trad Gang.com © | User Agreement

Copyright 2003 thru 2024 ~ Trad Gang.com ©