3Rivers Archery

The Trad Gang Digital Market

Contribute to Trad Gang and Access the Classifieds!

Become a Trad Gang Sponsor!

Traditional Archery for Bowhunters

LEFT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS TRAD GANG CLASSIFIEDS ACCESS RIGHT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS

Author Topic: Ohio Rut  (Read 291 times)

Offline nkw880

• Trad Bowhunter
Ohio Rut
« on: November 20, 2010, 08:32:00 PM »
Does any one else think that the rut is a little slow this year i hutn western darke county in western ohio i have only seen two bucks chasing all year and i have seen alot of lone does cant explain it
martin hunter 62" 55#
74 Kodiak Magnum 52" 45#
Tomahawk SS 64" 57#

Offline nkw880

• Trad Bowhunter
Re: Ohio Rut
« Reply #1 on: November 20, 2010, 08:35:00 PM »
o Yeah and the orange army is invading next week to make things even worse
martin hunter 62" 55#
74 Kodiak Magnum 52" 45#
Tomahawk SS 64" 57#

Offline Hill Hunter

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #2 on: November 20, 2010, 09:26:00 PM »
its been good in the south.
Ps 8:3 ¶ When I consider thy heavens, the work of thy fingers, the moon and the stars, which thou hast ordained;
 4 What is man, that thou art mindful of him? and the son of man, that thou visitest him?

Offline JJ1956

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #3 on: November 20, 2010, 10:05:00 PM »
I felt the same way here in Maryland didn't see much to tell me that it was in full swing and I hunted from Nov9th  to the 13th. On the 12th I saw three bucks feeding together and food is all that they had on there minds

Offline Joe Subler

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #4 on: November 20, 2010, 10:15:00 PM »
nkw880, don't forget that the youth gun hunt is this weekend (20th and 21st) so orange is already here.

Cheers,
Joe
62" Mohawk  53#@27"

Offline Robertfishes

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #5 on: November 20, 2010, 10:17:00 PM »
I saw bucks running does the first week of Nov near Peebles Ohio..when it warmed up the second week rut activity slowed up but was still on. Saw alot of broken up racks this year also saw alot of fawns by themselves.. the farmers cut the corn and soybeans early in the area I was in so the deer were in the woods not in the standing corn, lots of acorns this year too.   Bucks are running does again here in north Central Florida..

Offline Coonbait

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #6 on: November 20, 2010, 10:19:00 PM »
Took my son to Ohio today for the Youth hunt and found a scrape line on a ridge with 8 freshly worked scrapes, 3 or 4 new rubs and 2 young bucks cruising the ridge all morning. Before dark we had a buck dogging a doe below the ridge line out of sight until it finally got to dark to see. They seem to be on the move on the eastern side of the state.
GLENN

Offline GingivitisKahn

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #7 on: November 20, 2010, 10:21:00 PM »
I can't figure if it happened and I didn't notice (though I've been in the field just about every day for the better part of four weeks) or if it hasn't happened yet or what.

Seems like I'll see some rutlike behavior and then two or three days of no deer at all.  Then a bit more rutish stuff and then nada.  Beats me.

Offline Irish Archer

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #8 on: November 20, 2010, 11:55:00 PM »
Kahn,

"Every day for four weeks", I need a job like you've got. Do any killin' yet?

Offline GingivitisKahn

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #9 on: November 21, 2010, 08:12:00 AM »
None at all.  

I had a bit over two weeks off and was out all but Sundays there.  Had to work four days (what the?!) and back out in the field Saturday.  This past week I was night oncall which gave me another week of days to be out in the field (not much sleep though).

It's always great to get out but seeing some deer is nice too. :-p

Offline buckeye_hunter

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #10 on: November 21, 2010, 08:55:00 AM »
I have seen a TON of does ALONE. Definitely some rut, but nothing special for me rut wise....

Offline Huntingnut

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #11 on: November 21, 2010, 09:01:00 AM »
I must be the odd one out...I've seen a lot of chasing and bucks cruising.

Offline bowhawk archer

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #12 on: November 21, 2010, 10:26:00 AM »
I also have been seeing alot of chasing of does and bucks out cruising around. I just got back home from my yearly Ohio hunt, and the past 3 weeks have been pretty good as far as rut activity.

Offline Buckeye Trad Hunter

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #13 on: November 21, 2010, 04:15:00 PM »
There is a professer who studies deer that said the constant change in weather has affected the rut and that this week should be the week to see the action and that they will be "locked down" with does during gun season.  From what I've seen in the woods myself this year, I would say he's pretty much right on.

Offline stick flipper

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #14 on: November 21, 2010, 04:41:00 PM »
we have way to many does!!!!!! at least in my area. I think that has to do with alot of it for me. I have not seen any buck having to try at all to find a doe who is ready to breed. The only bucks I have seen chasing where the end of Oct. and they were dinks. I have seen a few mature bucks but they have been bedded with a doe and I have seen that as early as Nov. 2 and am still seeing it. But I see a ton of does with no buck following. Maybe I'm being a lil negative but it seems to me that the mature bucks in my area dont have to travel/try very hard to find a doe who is ready. The best activity I have seen was late oct. Then again I have a love hate relationship with the rut. I love it because the deer are generally on the move all day but I can also be frustrated because the mature deer are under no pattern at all and the only chance I have is to follow the does......which is tough when your doe to buck ratio is way out of wack. I do know the solution to this problem and I am very happy that I can fill my freezers with up to 6 of them  ;)

Offline vtmtnman

• TGMM Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #15 on: November 21, 2010, 04:48:00 PM »
I hunted Guernsey and Belmont counties the Nov 6-12.There was some rut but no hardcore chasing.

I came home for our rifle opener on the 13th and me,my buddy and my old man all shot bucks with nose to the ground following does grunting their heads off.

I think your guys' rut is later than what I was told.It was also very warm the week I was down.
>>>>--TGMM family of the bow--->

Offline longbowben

• TGMM Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #16 on: November 21, 2010, 06:55:00 PM »
Its dead right now, earlier in the week it was nuts.Took my son out for youth season and had no luck  :banghead:
54" Hoots 57@28
60" MOAB 60@28
Gold tip, 160gr Snuffer
TGMM Family of the Bow
USAF 90-96 69TH Bomb Squadron

Offline Joe Subler

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #17 on: November 21, 2010, 07:06:00 PM »
Just got back in and saw one small buck chasing a doe.

Cheers,
Joe
62" Mohawk  53#@27"

Users currently browsing this topic:

Contact Us | Trad Gang.com © | User Agreement

Copyright 2003 thru 2024 ~ Trad Gang.com ©