3Rivers Archery

The Trad Gang Digital Market

Contribute to Trad Gang and Access the Classifieds!

Become a Trad Gang Sponsor!

Traditional Archery for Bowhunters

LEFT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS TRAD GANG CLASSIFIEDS ACCESS RIGHT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS

Author Topic: Leon Stewart one-piece longbow ???  (Read 284 times)

Offline Winterhawk1960

• Trad Bowhunter
Leon Stewart one-piece longbow ???
« on: November 20, 2010, 09:45:00 PM »
I have had a hankerin' for one of Leon's bows every since I sold the three-piece Slammer that I had a few years back. The three-piece shot well for me, but was to much draw weight at my draw length.

I have spoke with Leon about his in stock bows and have my eyes on a 64" one-piece longbow that he has on hand. I'm gonna pull the trigger on getting it without ever having shot one of his one-piece bows.

Can someone......anyone that owns (or has owned) one of his one-piece bows give me a clue as to how it performed for them and how it compares to his three-piece takedown ??? Everything that I own, except for my Bear vintage recurves are takedowns, so I have little to no experience with one-piece bows of any kind.

Leon told me that if I didn't like it......or it didn't suit me that he would take it back, but I would rather not have to go through returning it. I know that if it performs anything close to his three-piece bow that it will be staying with me.

Ya'll have yet to steer me wrong....I guess I am looking for "reassurance" more than anything.......what say ye ???

Winterhawk1960
What if you woke up tomorrow, with only what you thanked God for today ???

Offline pacopperhead

• Trad Bowhunter
Re: Leon Stewart one-piece longbow ???
« Reply #1 on: November 20, 2010, 10:18:00 PM »
im gonna have him build me my next longbow

he is a great guy

Offline Bowtie

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #2 on: November 20, 2010, 10:48:00 PM »
Winterhawk,
My response is based on that I'm shooting a Stewart 3-pc. 64" - 49 lb. longbow, which shoots tight groups, is quiet and quick.  I had a 66" 1-pc. 48 lb. longbow (my son is shooting it now), which shot great for me (very smooth, quick, and quiet). I would consider either of these bows equal on a 3D course or for hunting. Shooting indoors at targets, the 3-pc. shot tighter groups for me.  I think that you'll find the 64" will work well for you.  I ordered a 62" 1-pc. from Leon in September at Forksville, PA.  Can't wait to get it.  Leon is a super guy to deal with.  Best of luck with your decision.
The work praises the man.

Offline Winterhawk1960

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #3 on: November 20, 2010, 11:01:00 PM »
Thanks Bowtie.......that is exactly the kind of information that I was looking for.   :thumbsup:    :thumbsup:  

Winterhawk1960
What if you woke up tomorrow, with only what you thanked God for today ???

Offline Raging Water

• TGMM Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #4 on: November 21, 2010, 12:19:00 AM »
Don,

While I have never shot the 3 PC, I just got a new-to-me 1 PC 64" 64# at 28" Leon Stewart RD (not the slammer)  

Uh? Fast to say the least. Super smooth, quiet and no handshock. Love the Locator grip. It will be a favorite bow of mine for a while.

Maybe it is just the way I shoot or the way I set a bow up but the 1 PC seems much more quiet than a 3 PC. Yes?/No?
Matt

TGMM - Family of the Bow
TG Contributor
All Around Good Guy

Statistically, 6 out of 7 Dwarves are not Happy… which Dwarf do you CHOOSE to be?

Two things that can never be taken back...Harsh Words and Time, Wasted

Offline tukudu

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #5 on: November 21, 2010, 05:39:00 AM »
Don I have owned two of his three piece slammers and own a one piece 60 inch slammer. I benchmark all of my bows against it and it is still here. I was shooting it yesterday and it is accurate, fast and very shootable. I will hold its own to any of the other high performance longbows out there. If you want to talk, give me a shout 814-234-8766. Leon is a man of high integrity and you will not go wrong. tom
"Brothers of the flaming arrow"

Offline Killdeer

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #6 on: November 21, 2010, 08:52:00 AM »
I have bought two Slammers from Leon at the Baltimore shoot. I gave one to my husband, and I love to go shoot 3D with him, using our "his-n-hers" set! Every time I pull mine from the rack, I have to admire its simple beauty and fine craftsmanship.

But no matter how beautiful a bow is, it has to perform, first and foremost! Leon's bows are second to none.

Long, long afterward, in an oak I found the arrow, still unbroke;
And the song, from beginning to end, I found again in the heart of a friend.

~Longfellow

TGMM Family Of The Bow

Offline Follower

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #7 on: November 21, 2010, 08:53:00 AM »
I've had 3 and still own 2.  The one I sold was a 2pc hinged straight bow.  The two i still have are the pre-slammer 1 pcs and they are my go-to longbows.  Fast, forgiving, smooth.  Love the grip.  And I will confirm the above - you won't deal with a better gentlemen than Leon.
"If any of you wants to be my follower, you must put aside your selfish ambition, shoulder your cross, and follow me...."  Jesus  (Mathew 16:24)

Offline hvyhitter

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #8 on: November 21, 2010, 09:10:00 AM »
I've had one of his 66" 1 piece R/D longbows for ten years now. I wont part with it for double the money. I have shot just about every other longbow out there at the Baltimore and Denton Hill and have never found one I like better. I've never shot his 3-piece (I dont like the look/feel of 3 piece longbows) but all of his work is first rate.
Bowhunting is "KILL and EAT" not "Catch and Release".....Semper Fi!

Offline pdk25

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #9 on: November 21, 2010, 09:14:00 AM »
I've got a 1- piece slammer that is 66" long and 74# @ 29".  It is super smooth and quiet.  It doesn't feel like it is pulling that much weight, possibly due to it's length.  I'm thinking of getting a 3-piece, and if I knew for sure that they shot as nicely as the 1-piece it would be a no-brainer.

Offline mahantango

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #10 on: November 21, 2010, 12:40:00 PM »
You can't possibly go wrong with any of Leon's bows. I don't care for any 3-piece longbows, but thats just personal taste. His one-piece bows are works of art and the performance is second to none.
We are all here because we are not all there.

Offline Danny Rowan

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #11 on: November 21, 2010, 01:34:00 PM »
Don,

Back when I shot heavy longbows exclusively, one of my favorite bows was a Leon Stewart one piece longbow, 64", 80#@28". Very smooth, quick and zero handshock. At that time I owned two bows, the Leon Stewart and one of the very first O.L. Adcock ACS longbows(#9 if I remember correctly), a 64" onepiece that was 72#@27", also a great bow.

Danny
"When shooting instinctivly,it matters not which eye is dominant"

Jay Kidwell and Glenn St. Charles

TGMM Family Of The Bow
NRA Life/Patron member
NAHC life member
Retired CPO US Navy 1972-1993
Retired USCBP Supervisory Officer 1999-2017

Offline mmisciag

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #12 on: November 21, 2010, 02:47:00 PM »
I have an order for a 3 pc TD from Leon. I should have it by the end of December. I did test a 62" 50#@28" 1 pc at Denton Hill. The guy next to me said that he could not hear the bow when I shot. I had tight groups at 15 yards.

In my mind, SOLD, came to mind. Leon and I talked and he said that the 1 pc was lighter then the 3 pc but both will perform the same.

I don't think you can go wrong with anything Leon makes.

I am very lucky. I live about 30 minutes away from his shop.

hth,

Martin

Offline TLANE

• SRBZ
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #13 on: November 21, 2010, 08:41:00 PM »
You will not regret a 1-piece Stewart longbow!  Gene Thorn has a little light weight longbow from Leon that we swear is magic...actually we call it the "Magic Bow"   I can't tell you how many people have shot this bow and made the switch to Traditional Archery!  He wouldn't sell it for the world but he did hint that maybe he would put it in his will that I might get it someday.  I love the bow but that's one I hope I never own!  I've kinda got an itchin' for another one of Leon's bows myself!

Offline deaddoc4444

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #14 on: November 22, 2010, 09:23:00 AM »
I just received my Slammer  JUne of this year .
   Having had all kinds of custom  bows over the last 40 years ( BOWS not compounds)  I have to rate this one, as the best I have ever owned.  1Pc Slammer  is the smothest   fastest  nicest looking bow I have ever had the pleasure to shoot .  I'll try to get pictures up but not sure if I can .    
 Leon is also one of the nicest people to deal with  HE LISTENS    I have talked to many bowyers over the years and MOST try to steer you into what THEY want to build you .    Now that might be  great if your just starting out and/or comming from a cable/pulley arrow shooter  and need a lot of guidance, but Leon listened to what I wanted and then made some suggestions that did in fact help AFTER listening to what I wanted and wanted to get out of the bow .
   DID I mention QUIET ??   Im sure I could hunt with this bow without any string silencers and it still would be quieter than any bow I have shot .
  I Still have numerous bows around , Including  HH Big 5s,Damon Howatt recurves and long bows and several other longbows from other custom bow makers.    I have no real need for them any more.  The Stewart is the go to bow from now on and im sure will continue to be   until I order another from Leon !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
HH Big 5 71# @29
Damon Howatt/Hunter 50@28
Damon Howatt/Ventura 45@28
Damon Howatt/Bushmaster 60@28
Leon Stewart/Slammer 52@28
BIG EAST  45@28
Fedora Xtreme/Hybrid 50@28
   "Leiber Hammer als Amboss"

Users currently browsing this topic:

Contact Us | Trad Gang.com © | User Agreement

Copyright 2003 thru 2024 ~ Trad Gang.com ©