3Rivers Archery

The Trad Gang Digital Market

Contribute to Trad Gang and Access the Classifieds!

Become a Trad Gang Sponsor!

Traditional Archery for Bowhunters

LEFT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS TRAD GANG CLASSIFIEDS ACCESS RIGHT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS

Author Topic: Stumping question?  (Read 410 times)

Offline Mojo Rising

• TGMM Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
Re: Stumping question?
« Reply #20 on: November 21, 2010, 07:52:00 PM »
3rivers Hammer   :thumbsup:
TGMM Family of The Bow
Morrison ILF

Online McDave

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #21 on: November 21, 2010, 08:28:00 PM »
I go combination stump shooting/target shooting just about every morning.  I carry one arrow with a judo and another one with a blunt for stump shooting.  The judo is best for not getting lost in the grass, but the rubber blunt is best for not ruining the arrow when it hits a rock or hard stump, so I try to choose my targets accordingly.  But you have to be a little philosophical about it; you're not shooting into a soft target, so you do use up more arrows than you do target shooting.
TGMM Family of the Bow

Technology....the knack of arranging the world so that we don't have to experience it.

Offline Rob DiStefano

• Administrator
  • Trad Bowhunter
  • Contributing Member
    • Cavalier Pickups
« Reply #22 on: November 21, 2010, 08:31:00 PM »
i like judos best of all for roving with a 55# longbow.

the weakest part of an arrow is just behind the head, where it'll bust cleanly when yer shaft whacks something really hard (rock!).  i "foot" all my woodies with a glued in nail, using the braveheart/3rivers nail foot jig.  really drops the woodie mortality rate down a big bunch.

no matter what, roving is the best way to tune up for ... HUNTING!   :thumbsup:
IAM ~ The only government I trust is my .45-70 ... and my 1911.

Online bowgy

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #23 on: November 21, 2010, 08:37:00 PM »
judo points!

Offline Brently

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #24 on: November 21, 2010, 09:02:00 PM »
I like the judo tip, I also just wrap the tip to the arrow with a piece of duct tape so if by some "rare" chance I break the tip off I don't lose my tip.

Offline vermonter1

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #25 on: November 21, 2010, 09:17:00 PM »
I also use judos for most of my stump shooting and 3-Rivers Hammers some.  Both are good, however, I am careful about the stumps I choose cause some of them will look soft from shooting distances but are rock hard.  More often I will shoot leaves, pine cones and other softer stuff.  I consider stump shooting my best source of practice.  Another thing to think about if you are going to stump shoot in winter months is that when the ground is frozen all of these heads are going to skip along the frozen ground and will sometimes travel great distances.

Online Stumpkiller

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #26 on: November 21, 2010, 09:30:00 PM »
I really like the Ace Hex Heads for stumping.  Haven't tried the 3R Hammers but they look good.

Mostly I use plain 'ol flat blunts.  Plus, every one of my hunting broadheads has been "stump tested" for flight.  The humitity and rain hereabouts is good at breeding soft stumps.

Is there a Pope & Young for stumps?

Charlie P. }}===]> A.B.C.C.

Bear Kodiak & K. Hunter, D. Palmer Hunter, Ben Pearson Hunter, Wing Presentation II & 4 Red Wing Hunters (LH & 3 RH), Browning Explorer, Cobra II & Wasp, Martin/Howatt Dream Catcher, Root Warrior, Shakespeare Necedah.

Offline don s

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #27 on: November 22, 2010, 01:53:00 AM »
has anyone tried "grasshopper rings" from muzzy? they work with any screw in field point. they weigh 20 grains. i see a few people like the judos but they don't like that they are too light weight. with the grasshoppers you make them whatever weight you want. i think they are great.

Offline thunder1

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #28 on: November 22, 2010, 09:21:00 AM »
I like the rubber ones best for stump shooting. I have shot blunts with a grasshopper rings for small game. The rings get bent up pretty good so carry a pair of needle nose with you. Some thing that I started doing was carrying an old play ground ball with me. Give it a kick and you can have some great fun. Heck by the end of summer we where using tennis balls.
No man ever stood so tall as when he stooped to help a child

David

Offline Boomerang

• SPONSOR
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #29 on: November 22, 2010, 09:41:00 AM »
I don't think you can beat the VPA SGT (Small Game Thumper) for durability and all around stump shooting/small game head.

Users currently browsing this topic:

Contact Us | Trad Gang.com © | User Agreement

Copyright 2003 thru 2024 ~ Trad Gang.com ©